Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Sevyn Streeter forbidden to sing National Anthem for wearing "We Matter" Jersey

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/1...er-jersey.html

A recording artist who was scheduled to sing the National Anthem before the Philadelphia 76ers’ season opener against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Wednesday said that she was pulled last minute because of her outfit.

Sevyn Streeter was wearing a black jersey with the words “We Matter” sprawled across the front.

"I'd say two minutes before we were about to walk out ... the organization told me that I could not wear my shirt while singing the national anthem at their game," the R&B singer told the Associated Press. "I was never given any kind of dress code. I was never asked beforehand to show my wardrobe."
    So of course "outrage" ensued ...but then the truth came out:

http://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/ne...-shirt-w447129

“We had a contract that she signed, including what we call the ‘Janet Jackson clause’ that gives us the right to review costumes ahead of time,” insiders said. “She signed that agreement. The gentlemen that arranged this knows her personally, actually, so when he went in to check in with her and he saw her shirt, he didn’t tell her she couldn’t wear it.” The 76ers staffer asked Streeter to put a jacket on and even offered her one of the team’s jerseys instead. They wanted her to cover up her shirt for the anthem, but was willing to take photos of her in it after the performance.
    A woman who wanted to disgrace the National Anthem for the shock value of a bigoted cause got her plans foiled.

A contact that she signed and then obviously forgot about (or pretended to) when it came time to talk to the press.

A completely fair compromise that would have allowed her to do the very thing she was there to do (sing) which was shot down.

I applaud the 76ers organization and all sports franchises that are doing what they can to resist this hateful trend.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    Wish we lived in a world where people didn't worship flags and songs and uniforms and other such meaningless BS.

lol, people are still trying to sweep racial injustice under the rug? so pathetic. fuck the nfl for being prejudice and bias pieces of shit

also really dont give any fucks about the flag either. 100 million native-american's blood and african-american slavery are on the history of this flag.
    Last edited by TheramoreIsTheBomb; 2016-10-28 at 02:36 PM.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Wish we lived in a world where people didn't worship flags and songs and uniforms and other such meaningless BS.
    My thoughts exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    But how else would you pretend to be patriotic?

Flags, national anthems, and uniforms aren't meaningless to the people who serve, the people who die serving, and their families.

And no private citizen is required to "worship" any of that.

But professional athletes and invited anthem singers have signed contracts holding them to a certain behavioral standard.

If they don't like that then they answer for them is clear: QUIT!

I wish we didn't live in a world where bigots use flags/anthems/uniforms as a vehicle to spread hate, but that's just me.
    MAGA

I've never heard of her before, yet here she is getting publicity, so I guess the stunt worked anyway.

Isn't this what socially inclined youth call no-platforming nowadays?.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I agree with that.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I've never heard of her before, yet here she is getting publicity, so I guess the stunt worked anyway.
    Ya really.

When I read "recording artist" I was like ...who?

I Googled her and got about two sentences into her bio when I read something like "has done work with Chris Brown" annndddd then I closed the tab.
    MAGA

10+ Year Old Account
    If she had a contract and then didnt want to abide by the clause, they were in the right to revoke her performance.

Simple as that.

Flags, songs, and uniforms are a part of cultural expression. So a world without those is basically your typical warehouse: drab, dull and uninspiring.

Nice world you got there.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

A woman who wanted to disgrace the National Anthem for the shock value of a bigoted cause got her plans foiled.
    Please. Everyone knows that if it had been a white person with an "all lives" shirt, you would be here damning the organization for refusing to let someone exercise their freedom of expression.

Deleted
    You could say goodbye to democracy, human rights and your personal welfare as well if your wish got true. Although I'm sure you would be fine with the lack of the first two -- at least if your ideological comrades would be in power -- I'm not sure how long you could last without the third one. Unless you count on living off the slave labour of convicted dissidents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are the pol types screaming censorship?

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you don't give a shit about someone's grievances, its easier to let them vent and then do what you feel like you need to do instead of trying to silence then therefore only validating their issue in their head.

Regardless of what was discussed before hand, the event coordinators now look like the assholes since they waited until the last minute.

Hate on my friends, hate on.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Yeah, tradition is fucking garbage with no symbolic meaning m8

Simpleton. I'm not surprised a pseudo-Nord would say this shit.

infracted - minor flaming

Oh no I called someone a dum-dum. Just fucking permaban me already.
    Last edited by tss; 2016-10-28 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Even if you don't give a shit about someone's grievances, its easier to let them vent and then do what you feel like you need to do instead of trying to silence then therefore only validating their issue in their head.

Regardless of what was discussed before hand, the event coordinators now look like the assholes since they waited until the last minute.

Hate on my friends, hate on.
    It takes like 5 seconds to put on the jacket or jersey they suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Flags, national anthems, and uniforms aren't meaningless to the people who serve, the people who die serving, and their families.

And no private citizen is required to "worship" any of that.
    "I pledge allegiance..."

Sorry, what was that about not being required to worship?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Please. Everyone knows that if it had been a white person with an "all lives" shirt, you would be here damning the organization for refusing to let someone exercise their freedom of expression.
    Would there be something wrong with defending all lives indiscriminately? These days only white conservatives seem to support that kind of thinking, while the so-called "progressive liberals" march -- apparently according to their true nature -- side by side with islamists and black thug supremacists.