Deleted

Nameplate oddities after 7.1

EDIT: Well, I did a reinstall after all, and the problem went away. I don't have the slightest clue what was causing it. I even slapped my old WTF/Interface back in the reinstall and it works fine.

Here's my original post though, as reference:

So, I noticed nameplates had gone all wonky after 7.1, and just thought it had to do with Tidy Plates not being updated, and didn't think much of it. However, Tidy got updated, but the wonkiness of the nameplates remained. So, I decided to delete my Cache, Interface and WTF folders, basically doing a complete reset at my end to addons and the UI. That didn't help.

Before I get into this, remember that I'm talking about nameplates, not names. There's a huge difference between the two, and the nameplate can be text only, even if it's a "plate". The "plate" in it doesn't mean the healthbar and other graphics. So, before you reply, please make sure you understand the difference between a name and a nameplate.

So, here's what's going on. Remember, these are all taken after I deleted all the folders. Here's a couple of NPCs. Lessah there is targeted, and gets a nameplate with a health bar. Before I removed all my addons and did a reset on the folders, I had it set up in Tidy Plates so that it forces a healthbar on targets, so I'm not sure if there's some serverside saving of settings going on, or if this is the default behavior. Luron there has no nameplate, although he should. I have all nameplates on, for all friendly and all enemy NPCs.

(Click to enlarge.)

Now, when I clear my target and let go of Lessah, this happens:

(Click to enlarge.)

She retains the nameplate as she should, and the healthbar fades out, which is why the healthbar shows so small in that picture; it's basically getting smaller and fading away. I had to take the screen cap very quickly when that happens, because a split second after that, this is what happens:

(Click to enlarge.)

She no longer has a nameplate. Before 7.1, all friendly NPCs used to have actual, proper nameplates just fine. Also, as an aside, I've noticed for a while now (even before 7.1), that a) battle pets don't get a nameplate, and b) enemy players in sanctuary cities don't get a nameplate, while enemy players who are in your faction's safe zone while you don't have PvP tag on, do.

So my question is, is there something wrong, or is this really the behavior now, and if there's something wrong, how can I reset my settings any further beyond just deleting them on the hard drive? Everything settings-wise is saved within WTF, right? Or, is there some "program files" bullshit folder somewhere saving stuff as well? Or in the registry?

Or, does Blizzard somehow save stuff serverside as well? IIRC macros do get saved there.

And, no, I'm not going to do a reinstall of the game unless you can give technical specifics as to why that would make any difference beyond simply deleting the folders. However, if anyone has any insight into this, it'd be appreciated greatly.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-11-01 at 01:01 PM.

Deleted
    Test this: /run SetCVar("nameplateShowFriendlyNPCs",1)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
    Test this: /run SetCVar("nameplateShowFriendlyNPCs",1)
    Nope, no change.

Deleted
    Weird. You do have Friendly Nameplates activated in Interface --> Names?

edit: The healthbar fading out is actually the way nameplates are being hidden since the introduction of the new nameplates. Instead of 'hiding' them, they just become so miniscule that you cant see them anymore it seems.
    Last edited by mmoc5d3981592b; 2016-11-01 at 09:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
    Weird. You do have Friendly Nameplates activated in Interface --> Names?
    Yep, everything set on from the options. It is a bit weird, indeed. I mean, I thought it would just be some addon doing something but if it happens even without addons, I'm a bit confused.

I have the same problem with hostile nameplates. Some units just do not have a nameplate until I manually target them, and it seems to happen when there are a large number of them.

I am using default UI, nameplates turned on for just hostile units at all times.

Before 7.1 I used to get some C stack overflows re nameplates; perhaps this was an attempted fix gone wrong?

Deleted
    Well, I reinstalled after all. Problem went away. Go figure. I threw my old Interface/WTF back in the folder (mainly because I can't be arsed to rebuild my custom UI), and it works fine. Seriously no idea what was causing this. Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

So, since I already made this thread and everything, even though my original problem was "solved" with a reinstall, might as well ask here; there's no way of getting nameplates on a) battle pets, b) enemy players in sanctuary zones, is there? Example:

I didn't want to confuse the image so I didn't clip out people's names but I'm sure that's not breaking any laws in this case. But, as you can see, the Horde guys have nameplates, while the Alliance guys and my battle pet do not.

When I'm in a Horde zone without a PvP tag on, Alliance guys get (IIRC) a nameplate with a white name (Tidy Plates setting), but in sanctuary zones they do not, and the battle pet never gets one. I'd love for them to have nameplates. Also, I believe critters actually have no nameplates either.

The reason I'd want to have nameplates on them is that addons can handle the nameplate fonts and so on, and as I said before, nameplates can be just a text without any graphics. Plus, they'd be visible from far away instead of the font being very small when you're far.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-11-01 at 01:31 PM.