Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Leveling a Paladin 1 - 100 question, 100 - 110 question.

Good afternoon,

I've been wanting to tank and heal more lately. My resto druid just isn't fun anymore. So I am leveling a pally. Two questions. What is the fastest way to level 1 - 100? It seems the tank queue is much slower now for dungeons, but this seems like this would still be the fastest way to level. From 100 to 110, is prot a viable spec to level? I've already done the 100 - 110 three times so I kind of want to run to 110 as soon as possible. I'll likely roll ret if that is going to be the fastest though once I hit 110, I'll focus either holy or prot. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,
    13en3

Leveling to 100 ret is the fastest, just questing and queue as dps in dungeons is good enough. At 100, id recommend prot but that depends on your questing style. If you kill 1 to 2 mobs at once, then ret is the way to go. I personally try to pull as many mobs as possible and blow cooldowns and try to complete killing quests in 1 to 2 pulls in about 2 minutes.

Deleted
    When I leveled both my Paladins I did at least the first 70 levels as protection and it was a lot of fun. You can AOE pull a lot of mobs, kill them reasonably fast and try to challenge yourself by pulling more and more. Low level dungeons are also fun to tank, although not as challenging. I did 90-110 as Holy because I had good healing gear and had to relearn the spec and doing so during leveling sped up the learning and I didn't really mind it that much, but it wasn't as quick as a different spec.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotorescue View Post
    When I leveled both my Paladins I did at least the first 70 levels as protection and it was a lot of fun.
    I am about 68 now from running dungeons in prot. The insta-queue is missed, but controlling the pace of the dungeon is beneficial. I was able to get from 60 - 68 in about 2 hours last night. Probably stick with that until the EXP completely dries up. I haven't really leveled anything below 100 since Legion dropped so I was wondering if maybe there was a faster way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stylepoints View Post
    Leveling to 100 ret is the fastest, just questing and queue as dps in dungeons is good enough. At 100, id recommend prot but that depends on your questing style. If you kill 1 to 2 mobs at once, then ret is the way to go. I personally try to pull as many mobs as possible and blow cooldowns and try to complete killing quests in 1 to 2 pulls in about 2 minutes.
    I want to blow through the 100 - 110 questing so I'll probably stay prot. I'll have to give ret a try soon though and set up my bars for potential offspec though. Does prot feel invincible while questing 100 - 110?

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with prot. In lowlvl the dmg is really good and u can aoe everything.
    I lvld my Pally from 100-110 as Prot and it was so easy, just pull 10-15 mobs if u can and kill em. U just cant die.
    Ret can be viable too, but without rly good gear I guess its much slower. I guess, u kill a single mob as ret maybe faster, but the struggle gets real with more.
    No tank classes really drop fast in the hp.

Chain pulling multiple mobs and AoE'ing them down has been the fastest and most enjoyable way to level in Legion, because otherwise you get screwed by an extra mob pull. Some DPS specs/classes can do this, but all tank specs can and it makes questing, running around and general exploring much more enjoyable when you know you can take whatever the game throws at you.

I'd recommend Protection for leveling, faster dungeon queue times and questing is easier IMO. I can't comment on speed, DPS might be a little faster, but I'll trade speed for ease any day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 13en3 View Post
    Does prot feel invincible while questing 100 - 110?
    Haven't levelled mine past 102 yet, but feels decent. Was certainly smoother getting blood dk to 110 than my main, a guardian, because of the selfhealing. Pally should be similar.

Deleted
    Ye I know that feeling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 13en3 View Post
    Good afternoon,

I've been wanting to tank and heal more lately. My resto druid just isn't fun anymore. So I am leveling a pally. Two questions. What is the fastest way to level 1 - 100? It seems the tank queue is much slower now for dungeons, but this seems like this would still be the fastest way to level. From 100 to 110, is prot a viable spec to level? I've already done the 100 - 110 three times so I kind of want to run to 110 as soon as possible. I'll likely roll ret if that is going to be the fastest though once I hit 110, I'll focus either holy or prot. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,
    13en3
    For the fastes way, using heirlooms ofc, you want to go prot. You can just mass pull mobs and AoE them down with 0 danger. In MoB and WoD the mobs are somewhat tankier so you could go ret but i stay prot cause AoE pulls. On single target quests just pop your wings and explain the situation to the mob. I usually put all 3 specs if I can since spec changing is easy and available from level 10, although carrying 3 sets of gear can be a little annoying if you don't have the big bags. You want to switch gear and change spec preferably before you enter so stupid people dont go "HE PROT AND NOT HOLLY KICK HIM." Do 1 random que a day and then just do specific ques. Do every dungeon once. Do that for every expansion untill MoP. MoP and WoD don't have that many dungeon quests and dungeons are somewhat slower because the scaling of the heirlooms are less op. P.S. if you do every dungeon in Cata once and finish the achievement for questing in Hyjal you will outlevel the entire cata expansion. Same for MoP Jade Forest.

Avoid dungeons in MoP and WoD. Will only slow you down. Do all bonus objectives. Exp is stupidly high.

From 100 to 110 tank is still good. Mass pull, AoE, turn in quest, pick up new, repeat untill 110. Do dungeons only to wrap up your zones.

I'd level as whichever you intend to play more, as this will help you learn the spec.
    I leveled as prot, and don't know how it could have been much faster.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I am leveling my Paladin as well, decided to give Tanking a serious try. I started leveling as Prot, than I went Ret, cause Ashbringer, and to see if it'd be faster to level with. Contrary to my Monk, which I leveled WW without any major issues regarding gathering a lot of mobs to kill, Ret Pally felt really squichy, specially for a Plate wearing class, it felt almost as squichy as my Mage tbh.

So I went back to Prot for leveling and don't regret at all, it seems faster than Ret because like others have said before, you can kill many mobs at once. I'd Say go level as Prot if that is what you intend to roll. I am currently at 105 and Stormheim felt like it flew by, Highmountain is about to end for me and it felt really quick as well.

Cheers,
    Light

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    I'd level as whichever you intend to play more, as this will help you learn the spec.
    I leveled as prot, and don't know how it could have been much faster.
    Usually a good suggestion, but there is plenty of time to learn a spec while grinding Legion so the leveling process doesn't matter too much. That being said, I'll likely play Prot mostly in Legion so it helps that it is the fastest leveling spec. I had to reroll on a different server and went from 1 - 55 in about 8 hours of play time with looms and dungeon queues.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled as ret myself. Getting the tank follower allows you to do those bigger pulls and kill things way faster then speccing prot and doing it. I main healing and had no trouble switching over to healing once hitting 110. But really if you enjoy prot more then ret then go prot the damage isn't much lower and you have a lot more room to allow for screw ups. But I feel it was slower then just taking a tank follower and nuking as ret.