Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Differences between diablo 2 and 3

I see a lot of posts about "Make diablo 4!! to fix the problems with 3 especially the boring endgame!" while at the same time people still circle jerk over Diablo 2. Can someone please explain the difference because while I was admittedly younger I don't remember Diablo 2 endgame to really be much of anything besides killing the same stuff again and again which is not much different than 3 mind you. Is it just the difference in classes? or a case of rose tinted nostalgia goggles.?

Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    I see a lot of posts about "Make diablo 4!! to fix the problems with 3 especially the boring endgame!" while at the same time people still circle jerk over Diablo 2. Can someone please explain the difference because while I was admittedly younger I don't remember Diablo 2 endgame to really be much of anything besides killing the same stuff again and again which is not much different than 3 mind you. Is it just the difference in classes? or a case of rose tinted nostalgia goggles.?
    It is the same kinda people who scream for vanilla WoW servers, a loud minority.

15+ Year Old Account
    D2 is such a mess by today's standards it makes Classic WoW look godly. I don't think there are actually that many D2 players out there, they are just like Legacy WoW server guys very vocal.

Funniest thing is claiming the endgame offers 'lots of variety'. And if D3 is called imbalanced, I don't think there is a proper word to describe D2 class/build balance.

- - - Updated - - -

'People quiting a few weeks into the season after getting geared' is also a good one.

As if that didn't happen in D2 except for the tiny minority who continued to grid (or bot) out till 99.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It is the same kinda people who scream for vanilla WoW servers, a loud minority.
    Thats why D3 dies completely just 1-3 weeks in every new season.

Whatever they do for future diablo games I just hope they go back to having fixed stats for unique/legendary/set items just so that good rolled rares may be contenders for gear choice.

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    That is a thing that needs to be massaged, they need to put more goals to work towards aside from gear alone, they have systems they did not use yet and are saving them for something, maybe we will now find out.

Thank you, Was starting to think i was nuts for not remembering this amazing endgame people kept comparing d3 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    Because basically I dont fight anymore with monsters but with a clock? GR mechanic just killed this game for me, its boring. You wont even see loot the whole run. Just run as fast as you can to beat a fuking clock. Then poop, few legendaries appear from single monster. If someone would told me few years ago there will be arpg where you dont see loot for majority of your endgame run then I would call him heretic and liar.
    Ofc there are other activities like bounties, normal rifts etc but the main endgame is GR and how high you can go. Theres basically 0 variety in this. Also 0 customization on your character, just meta sets in current season that require specific items and builds.

You can call it nostalgia or whatever but there is huge difference between gameplay in D2 and D3.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    thats because diablo players play like 7 hours a day for those 3 weeks, then take a break
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

because i fucking went everywhere in diablo 2, i could farm in different places legendaries we're rare, i could farm to try earn currency in many different ways then trade with other players for items i really wanted, some set items we're so rare i had 8 classes over level 92 upto 98 and never saw most of the ultra rare set items and legendaries but i could save up and trade for them, i could do meph runs, countess, diablo, baal, meph, nihilak etc etc, i could put my talents point into making my own build instead of just needing a 6 set to basically make the spec work and just change the rune.

please diablo 3 is fucking rift simulator it's so dull and throws legendaries at you non stop they're not legendary they're common as fuck.

Diablo 2 has Necromancers. Diablo 3 does not. And quite frankly, Necromancers are the most interesting Diablo class.

However, after today, I suspect that will soon change.

Deleted
    Diablo 3 is just souless imo. The gameplay is hands down superior to D2 but everything else is just souless. I guess that's why I still keep playing D2 after all these years...

Diablo 2 was great 15 years ago, but really aside from the awesome gear itemisation it was a super shallow game by todays standards, and compared to current Diablo 3. Diablo 3 modern game also has good gear itemisation and much more interesting gameplay... I think if you compare current D3 with D2 then current D3 is a much better game.

Of course current D3 you can run out of steam gearing a char after like 2 weeks of a season, in D2 you never ran out of steam because items were so rare you could play for years and not be close to the same optimisation unless you took external measures, in D2 most people ran out of steam a long long time before they had remotely decently geared chars though.

I think the problem with D3 is people thinking that it has to service them for years at a time, when really it's better to be played in short bursts of a couple weeks followed by some months not playing it.. If gearing/content was grindy enough to last for months then people would still stop playing quickly through lack of forward motion, which is exactly what causes most people to stop already as they hit that gear threshold where moving forward requires exponentially increasing time/grinding commitments.

I think no matter how you pace gearing, about a month of playing is going to be the limit for the majority.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-11-04 at 07:40 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 2 is still good after 16 years, Diablo 3...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Diablo 2 was great 15 years ago, but really aside from the awesome gear itemisation it was a super shallow game by todays standards, and compared to current Diablo 3. Diablo 3 modern game also has good gear itemisation and much more interesting gameplay... I think if you compare current D3 with D2 then current D3 is a much better game.
    I dont agree D3 have good itemisation at all. Sets basically killed gear diversity. There is just one best set in a season per class that need specific legendaries to be able do high GRs. Look at top classes in Grs and you will see everyone run exactly same build, with same set and same items. How is this good itemisation?

Im not comparing D2 to current games, its pointless. But still i feel D2 had much better core gameplay and itemsiation.

Deleted
    Diablo 2 is still amazing. D3 is just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I dont agree D3 have good itemisation at all. Sets basically killed gear diversity. There is just one best set in a season per class that need specific legendaries to be able do high GRs. Look at top classes in Grs and you will see everyone run exactly same build, with same set and same items. How is this good itemisation?

Im not comparing D2 to current games, its pointless. But still i feel D2 had much better core gameplay and itemsiation.
    Diablo 2 was full of cookie cutter gear sets defined by single items too though, no difference really. Paladin for example had 3 genuine builds, in PVM it was Hammerdin, for Ubers specifically Smite and PVP was popular and in PVP specific you also had Fist of Heavens... That was literally it, every other build just like weaker builds in D3 was playable but simply not nearly as effective.

I mean really in D3 you have way more builds that are viable than you had in D2, where to be honest you had incredible strong builds and then everything else was junk. I dont think that there is really much to give D2 credit over D3 here, in D2 it was all about items defining classes and elevating them to godly status compared to those without.

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    Diablo 2 is still amazing. D3 is just boring.
    This is so full of shit, if Blizzard released Diablo 2 with modern graphics it would be globally shat on and shunned. I played Diablo 2 for years, but I can look at it objectively and not through rainbow memberberry sunglasses.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-11-04 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    This is so full of shit, if Blizzard released Diablo 2 with modern graphics it would be globally shat on and shunned. I played Diablo 2 for years, but I can look at it objectively and not through rainbow memberberry sunglasses.
    I played Diablo 2 just a few months ago. It's not nostalgia. It's just a good game. D3 I played for 60 something hours, and haven't played any since 2012. Terrible game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    You say things like this but private servers have TONS of people playing them Nost especially. I have 30 days played on my TBC Paladin alone.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    I played Diablo 2 just a few months ago. It's not nostalgia. It's just a good game. D3 I played for 60 something hours, and haven't played any since 2012. Terrible game.
    Well if you haven't played it since 2012 you have no idea what you're talking about because it's near enough a completely different game now, Vanilla D3 is worlds apart from current D3.

As for D2. still have my D2 char from like 2006 active, all the others expired.. I play it every couple months too for old times sake.. Like I said I look at it objectively, and objectively you can account for how much content is in the game, the simplicity of the gameplay, the overall depth of systems.. If you think D2 is still an amazing game by todays standards then I can't take you seriously.