The curious case of the DK tank. [HELP NEEDED/WANTED with a log]

Hi there!

We'r a little casual guild that just started progression in mythic EN, and we have found some issues, or rather we have some issues, but are having problems pinpointing where they are!

Our DK tank seems to be taking a shit ton of damage, or maby it's just some healing problem, or something inbetween?

warcraftlogs.com/reports/VBHfqFvZW3azMcbD#boss=1841&wipes=1&type=summary

If some kind soul, that knows a little more then me about DK's and their ways could help me out, I would be grateful. =)

//Andersn

At quick glance they are using marrowrend too often. Only needs to cast when it drops to 6 boneshield stacks. This means they are wasting potential RP from using less heart strikes which means less DS to self heal. I would also suggest they keep 40 RP in "reserve" so that they have a DS when needed and not to mindless spam it and instead use it after they take dmg.

Deleted
    From a quick look, he's taking way too much damage from Rend Flesh. Maybe the tanks are not performing the correct taunt sequence?
    Other than that, he probably has to marrowrend less and hearts strike (on D&D if possible) more. From what I've seen form a quick look at all the 32 wipes, it doesn't seems he's doing something horribly wrong.

EDIT: just looked at his deaths. He's dying a lot from Rend Flesh. Unless your healers are afking (and they don't seem to be from a quick look at the logs) I can't really understand why. I doubt the tanks don't know how the taunts works since it's mythic, but it's definitely curious.
    Last edited by mmoce0fbf970d8; 2016-11-07 at 12:48 AM.

Deleted
    I looked at your best pull and he doesn't seem to be doing anything super wrong. He's using Blood Mirror which, while it is a better DPS option, he should replace it for Purg. It's much more valuable if you're only going to use Blood Mirror once a fight. He was very rarely inside his Death and Decay so he missed out of a bunch of RP.

I personally believe that Blood Mirror is better than Purgatory. If Purgatory does proc your healers will need to dig you out of that hole as well as do enough healing to stabilize you again. More times than not unless you have a couple death strikes banked, in which case why did you die, you have a good chance of just dying anyways.

Other than that I would agree with other posters, he like all of us could do a better job of banking DS for when we really need it and not spamming it. As well as trying to time DnD between having to move to try and take advantage of extra runic power. Also I have found that one can use vampiric blood more often as it will be up almost every other rend phase at least.

I did a quick comparison between our last kill (5:05) and your 6% wipe (4:42).

- 240k hps seems a bit on the low side (I have just under 300k)
    - I Death Strike a lot more (47 vs 35) so that's where the HPS difference comes from
    - But doesn't seem to be because of too many Marrowrends, because I do that more as well (40 vs 28)
    - Heartstrikes are 51 vs 49 so your tank actually has a lot higher HS/MR ratio than I do

- The real culprit seems to be not standing in your DnD; Your tank has just 5.65% uptime on DnD buff (I had 32.82%). Consequently, I have 800 RP gained from
    Marrowrend and 765 from Heartstrike where as your tank has just 560 from MW and 735 from HS. That's a lot of missed RP gain -> explains the low Death Strike -> explains low HPS.

I don't know if he was dying to having both tank debuffs (which is auto-death) or just generally struggling to stay alive; if the latter then he can improve somewhat quite easily by dropping his DnDs better. Also being proactive with tank CDs is the right way to go in this fight IMO; if there's an add up and the next charge is going to go through melee (instead of ranged), just pop VB or even IBF; don't wait until you drop to 10% health and then wonder why your healers couldn't save with Rend Flesh ticking and whatnot.

Also Blood Mirror is awesome for Rend Flesh; I always pop it on Rend if it's up.
    Last edited by Barael; 2016-11-07 at 11:57 AM.

I looked at a handful of the longer attempts and compared it to my recent kills:

Uptimes on boneshield/ossuary seem fine. They are a little low on total runic power gained, but the biggest issue seems to be reaction time to your blood DKs health pool from healers and the DK. I only dropped below 50% health twice and both times was immediately capped by healers/my own pooled death strikes (within 1-3 seconds). Your DK is often slowly dying over 6-12 seconds with maybe one death strike from themselves and no single target heals coming from the healers. They are frequently hitting 25-30% health then very slowly being brought back up by hots/aoe healing.

Nearly every death all their CDs are on cooldown and they have no runic power available. Vampiric Blood looks like it’s being used on CD while at full health rather than when they dip down so it’s not there when they need it. Death strikes are also being used at full health when runic power is not capped so there is no burst healing pooled.

So probably a combination of more reactive tank healing, better runic power pooling/usage, and better cd management for low periods would help smooth out their health/prevent deaths.

Looking quickly at the logs, really obvious issues:

-using marrowrend at 8-9 stacks of bone shield, huge waste of rp generation
    -throwing rp instantly instead of pooling it https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce=3&spell=106 , should always be at high rp to prepare for those spikes, for example that was mine on the first kill https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...translate=true )
    -poor cd usage, using vamp blood and ibf at the same time, ibf and dancing rune weapon or similar things is just bad gameplay
    -Using 2 undertuned tanking trinkets, and then a dps neck enchant, and fallen crusader, if you struggle to survive gargoyle is just better defensively, also mark of the heavy hide is an insane armor bonus
    -2 tonics over the whole night, denoting poor awareness of when he's gonna die or just forgetting he can even use potions

As most of the people said, your dk isnt bloodstriking enough. He also should remove Rapid Decomposition for Spectral Deflection on Ursoc, since you often have to move out of your death'n'decay.

Your paladin should stand closer to your tanks, so he shares devotion with them.

Your healers also aren't tossing externals on him, so he is taking excessive amounts of damage.

My logs:
    warcraftlogs.com/reports/bwRqMp2TBfyh6jgm#fight=17&type=damage-taken

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacruiser View Post
    your dk isnt bloodstriking enough. He also should remove Rapid Decomposition for Spectral Deflection
    This is a contradiction.

Thx for all the answers! It helped us/him with solving a few of the problems we where having with tank deaths!