Grotesque Statuette as Blood?

hello friends, first time posting here so bear with me real quick

I had a 870 statuette drop out of my il'gynoth cache today and was wondering if it's even worth using, mastery sucks and from what I've read the ability got hotfixed or something so its not good anymore. do I use it anyways?

I'm sure for raid it sucks but hoping for viability in m+

Kinda' depends on your other trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
    Kinda' depends on your other trinkets.
    goblet of nightmarish ichor 865 is my 2nd trinket currently, and the one it replaced is a memento of angerboda 855.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglwn View Post
    goblet of nightmarish ichor 865 is my 2nd trinket currently, and the one it replaced is a memento of angerboda 855.
    I'd use the goblet and get myself the darkmoon trinket as the second one if I were you then.

I'd use the goblet and get myself the darkmoon trinket as the second one if I were you then.
    quite a possibility, this might be a good middle ground without losing all of that strength.

any other opinions on the statue? if nothing else I'm probably just gonna throw it in my bank for now if the general consensus is it's garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglwn View Post
    quite a possibility, this might be a good middle ground without losing all of that strength.

any other opinions on the statue? if nothing else I'm probably just gonna throw it in my bank for now if the general consensus is it's garbage
    Unless our mastery gets changed to actually be useful, it will remain a rather bad trinket. But sure, toss it in the bank just in case. That's what I did with mine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did I miss something about statuette's effect getting stealth-nerfed? Or is the tooltip just wrong?
    Hasn't dropped for any of our guild's tanks yet so I haven't seen first or second-hand what it does.

I'm pretty sure flat 1,3%+ per stack damage reduction is incredibly good even if there's a not-so-high cap on the maximum stacks, the effect sounds so incredibly good that I wouldn't give a shit whether there's 900 mastery, 900 of another stat, or no stats on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoat View Post
    Did I miss something about statuette's effect getting stealth-nerfed? Or is the tooltip just wrong?
    Hasn't dropped for any of our guild's tanks yet so I haven't seen first or second-hand what it does.

I'm pretty sure flat 1,3%+ per stack damage reduction is incredibly good even if there's a not-so-high cap on the maximum stacks, the effect sounds so incredibly good that I wouldn't give a shit whether there's 900 mastery, 900 of another stat, or no stats on it.
    The problem I found with it when I tested mine, was that it rarely seemed to stack up very high before dropping off. The majority of the time it would reach around the 5% mark 2-3 seconds before running out. I won't deny that I might have simply been unlucky with it, but to me, the proc chance seemed very low.

You also might be underestimating just how bad mastery is for blood death knights at the moment. It is really really terrible.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know that mastery is terrible, blood shield accounts for less healing than blood plague, heart strike or even leech.

But the general mantra for trinkets should always be to look at the effect first and foremost before looking at passive stats (hell, I'm wearing chrono shard and goblet currently, even though their 1k strength are just as worthless for survival as 900 mastery would be).
    As someone who has only READ but not been able to test the statuette, it's effect seems stronger than any other tanking trinket I have theoretical access to so far (not counting darkmoon deck since that is certainly not an accessible item whatsoever).

From your testing the statuette seems to be 1-4% or 1-5% permanent damage reduction on a 20 second cycle (as opposed to most other tank trinkets which have some downtime inbetween their effects, my goblet gives me ~25% uptime on it's ~3% damage reduction buff), which is at least on par with, but in my opinion better, than many other available trinkets.

That is, unless there's some further weirdness to it that I don't know of - all the information I had to go off for this post was it's tooltip and your report of testing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.

AFAIK the effect acts pretty wonky if both tanks are using the statuette. For example on Ursoc, the tank who caused the boss to get the first stack gets all the benefit and the other tank gets fuck all until it drops and then it's a crap shoot again whichever tank happens to cause the first stack etc.

I have a 870 Statuette and I'm not using it on anything, tbh.

But the general mantra for trinkets should always be to look at the effect first and foremost before looking at passive stats (hell, I'm wearing chrono shard and goblet currently, even though their 1k strength are just as worthless for survival as 900 mastery would be).
    More strength means more damage which means more healing from a lot of our stuff, plus it adds to parry chance. So I wouldn't go as far as to say it's just as bad as mastery.

From your testing the statuette seems to be 1-4% or 1-5% permanent damage reduction on a 20 second cycle (as opposed to most other tank trinkets which have some downtime inbetween their effects, my goblet gives me ~25% uptime on it's ~3% damage reduction buff), which is at least on par with, but in my opinion better, than many other available trinkets.
    I guess a lot of it comes down to preference here. I'd personally much rather have a use trinket as a tank than a permanent cycling 1-5% reduction (since such low percentages are barely noticeable). Some trinkets with use effects basically offer you an extra albeit smaller cooldown in case shit is going down or you are about to eat a big hit (right now I use the "Unbridled Fury" from Ursoc beside my darkmoon trinket), which I find to be a pretty good one, its use effect is a decent bonus cooldown and on top of that it has crit (more damage and more parry).

Deleted
    I've tried the trinket out a bunch of times in m+ and raids so far and it definitely sounds a lot better than it actually is, when I read it it sounded like the effect would always trigger when you get hit but it feels like a 33% chance, so according to my logs it reduces the damage I take by ~6% while I'm actively tanking and that is still huge, if you compare that to other mitigation trinkets (the haste one from dragons for example) those usually do 4% of my healing, which is lower than my damage taken so only reduce the damage taken by 2-3%.

One more thing is that the debuff is bugged, it only shows 1% less damage taken per stack but it is actually the 2.2% it says (tested it using enemies with dots), on top of that it bugs out as mentioned above when you have multiple tanks using it and additionally on the spiderbird if any of the connected tanks wears it, it will stay at max (15) stacks once it gets that high for as long as you are connected (I actually don't know if it does indeed permanently reduce your damage taken by 33% but I would assume so).

So overall the trinket is fine as it is, it's not amazing by any means but a decent trinket, I prefer the dungeon variant because my gear is horribly optimized and I'm at 31% crit with it so it is a permanent 6.6% damage mitigation on bosses and ~4% on aoe.

More strength means more damage which means more healing from a lot of our stuff, plus it adds to parry chance. So I wouldn't go as far as to say it's just as bad as mastery.
    Actually in terms of mitigation strength is miles behind every secondary stat, you need ~3k(including fallen crusader proc) strength for 1% parry whereas ~1100 crit gives you 1% (crit has diminishing returns so you have to see for yourself, 1.1k is at 7k crit rating) and crit is regarded as our worst pure mitigation stat even when you factor in skeletal shattering, which strength doesn't affect.

All strength gives you on top of the parry is damage (which is VERY important for m+) which affects your mitigation via blood plague healing, leech during blood shield, heart strike healing, consumption and umbilicus eternus. Blood plague, heart strike and consumption healing can be dismissed because the first 2 are a super low % of our overall healing and consumption is a 100% heal on big pulls anyway and borderline useless on bosses. Leech makes up a surprisingly big amount of my healing and umbilicus is super good so those getting buffed by strength is great, however they get buffed by crit/versa/mastery aswell just in smaller amounts.

TL: DR: Strength is a terrible mitigation stat, so when regarding tank trinkets almost any tank trinket with a flat strength is worse than even flat mastery ones IMO, the effect of most trinkets is more important to look at and while the grotesque statuette isn't as amazing as it looks at first, it is definitely one of the better tank/mitigation trinkets this raid tier since a lot of others have strength on it or the effect isn't great.