Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Shadow] Im dying really fast!

I follow the rotation set out by IcyVeins but anything more than 2 mobs at one and im going to die.
    I cant even kill rare mobs solo right now and im level 104.
    I dont die at all in any other spec, but killing mobs takes far too long >.<

WHat am I missing here?

Being shadow was just horrible during levelling and gearing for me if I was solo, the ideal tactic would be to dot like 5 mobs and then not get hit by them while you get to free cast, instead they just kill you. For soloing I found I could pull more satisfyingly as disc (dot up and penance, smite and be impatient), I've recently got some decent shadow trinkets and more gear and questing feels perfectly fine now but it was definitely frustrating.

Rotation for Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by YesReallyFred View Post
    I follow the rotation set out by IcyVeins but anything more than 2 mobs at one and im going to die.

WHat am I missing here?
    Most people will tell you level holy or disc, and they're right. It's far easier and smoother than leveling as shadow. Just don't invest your AP into your weapon and you'll be good to go.

However, if you want to level shadow, this is what i did from 100-110.
    Take the AoE stun talent for one and shadowcrash. My rotation was pretty much dotting everything and hitting them with the stun. Drop shadowcrash and void eruption. They should be low enough at this point to shadow word death. Pop Shields in between, and dispersion to heal yourself if you get really low.

Also note that once you 110, everything mob scales to the point where you probably can't pull more than 3 without dying. Need some gear to be able to get back to that point.

Deleted
    WHat am I missing here?
    VoidForm. Use it.

Find a mob that lasts a while so you can build insanity and then go Void to build haste stacks. Once you have that, run around and kill stuff fast.

Deleted
    idd use Voidform as much as possible, and be sure to have Power Word: Shield active and refresh it when needed, i hade no issues like that, you can also use Silence and Psychic Scream to minimize damage taken. thats how i did, it was all fine by me

Speccing into masochism will also help. You basically can face tank quite a bit with that talent. You lose the speed boost from PW: S but that's marginal while leveling. Shadow is fairly slow for leveling though unfortunately.

Don't be afraid to mindbender and fade as often as possible. I leveled shadow and it was pretty much a breeze until 108 . Then it took some time to kill things . Dont be afraid to void form especially if you will be pulling multiple mobs.

Mindbender is a super good leveling talent I would use it if you can, you can also Fade and let it tank things for you for a bit.

Unfortunately open world content like questing will be kind of brutal until you get some decent gear.

Leveling as shadow is not great

Then you hit 110 and it becomes terrible

At 840 ilvl it starts to become better again.

Welcome to Shadow Priests
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Unlock Sol asap and use him as your bodyguard, i think i had him by 104

Deleted
    Thank you people!
    I was really in two minds about posting this because every other SP ive seen seems to KILL and I didnt want to seem like such an idiot: but I guess the consensus is SP are just bad right now.

I'll try Holy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Leveling as shadow is not great

Then you hit 110 and it becomes terrible

At 840 ilvl it starts to become better again.

Welcome to Shadow Priests
    Yeah, doing WQs at 800 ilvl at 110 is very slow. Much slower than below 109. Have to gear up fast to 840+.

I relied on San'layn VT healing when multi-dotting big pulls. Just spam VT on everything, stun bomb them, apply shield constantly.

Using cooldowns constantly (PI and fiend). Some people play very conservative with them which never made sense to me.

WHat am I missing here?
    Void form, Dispersion, VE, Health Pots, AoE stun, Masochism, food buff, draenor rune, class order hall bodyguard and kite. I realize you probably dont have access to all of those but if you have access to any that you are not using then you are leveling wrong. I only leveled as Shadow and had no problems until i hit 110. At that point it was horrid until i got to about 840 Ilvl and then scaling kind of took over and it became easy again. im 859 now and solo group WQ mobs.

I remember leveling as Shadow was kinda tough but not THAT hard. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably level as Disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    Unlock Sol asap and use him as your bodyguard, i think i had him by 104
    Can't get Sol til 110 mate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sol is a good bodyguard?

I might try that!

Well... Pretty much like everyone in this forum, I didn't play Shadow. Believe me, I tried. Hard. If you really want to play shadow as levelling, you should do it in dungeons only. Else you're better off with Disc. If I remember correctly I was doing 85-90% of the shadow's DPS when levelling, so you're not losing much. Plus they both have the same stats weight (roughly).

Don't worry, you can perfectly play fine with Holy in dungeon even with the worst stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Can't get Sol til 110 mate.
    You can get him earlier, Its just that it takes 5 12 hour follower missions so its only possible if you level very slowly.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    You can get him earlier, Its just that it takes 5 12 hour follower missions so its only possible if you level very slowly.
    These missions are possibly shorter on alts.
    My dk has 5 four hour missions, could just be a different class thing but I doubt it.