Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Trials of Vailor HC firemage experience

So guys, after i killed all 3 bosses on heroic mode, i can say that firemages got a hard time to be top dd in this raid.

Odyn --> A very bad fight for us firemages... Targetswitch fucks up
    Guarm --> Its pretty hard to be top 5 pure singletarget... Without good critluck, there is no chance... Other classes are simply stronger singletarget atm.
    Helya --> It´s a pretty good fight for firemages! Sure Livingbomb is here our dps push #1. Hunters and Demonhunter a better in this fight for sure, but we can be top 5 here!

Let me know your experience

Yeah, I have pretty much the same impression as you based on my guild's progress on Odyn yesterday. At first I was baffled that I was way, way lower than usually in mythic EN, even started thinking fire got a stealth nerf or something :P Fortunately, I wasn't the only one terrified by hanging around the lower parts of the dps meter, our other mage was as confused as I was x) So yeah, Odyn is a pretty bad fight for fire, but it doesn't seem like the other specs are doing much better. Plus the gear would be all wrong if we were to switch now. So yeah, ToV seems pretty painful for us at the moment...

Deleted
    Since when is switching bad for fire mage? It has almost 0 requirements to not switch. It's barely mediocre on single target though without single target legendaries and that's in effective practice a single target fight.

Have you heard about the passive called ignite?

Quote Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
    great answer haha

Quote Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
    And what it has to do with target switching?

Ignite gets higher with multiple Pyros. If you switch a target which is not in range you have to build up your ignite. Arcan is crap too for target switch cause of quickening.

Frost sims pretty well on single target. Honestly I'm getting better numbers consistently with Frost with two or less targets. That's why I carry gear for both. So try using that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    Frost sims pretty well on single target. Honestly I'm getting better numbers consistently with Frost with two or less targets. That's why I carry gear for both. So try using that instead.
    Do you use ray of frost and/or glacial spike?
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthasZZ View Post
    Ignite gets higher with multiple Pyros. If you switch a target which is not in range you have to build up your ignite. Arcan is crap too for target switch cause of quickening.
    So what? Whether you hit 1 mob twice or 2 mobs once, you still do the same amount of ignite damage, assuming stuff doesn't die before ignite is done ticking.

...not sure what you think your spells do, but you're wrong.

None of the things you've mentioned have anything to do with target switching. Ignite is better when it can spread to multiple targets, but just switching from one target to another (in the case of Odyn), it doesn't affect your damage whatsoever.
    Also, your reasoning being Arcane being bad due to Quickening also doesn't make sense, because target switching doesn't affect that either. All you have to do to keep Quickening up is attack once every six seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioo View Post
    And what it has to do with target switching?
    If target dies before Ignite dealt full damage, it's bad for dps. More then that, if there's no chance for Ignite spreading, it doesn't increase Mage damage

Deleted
    So guys, after i killed all 3 bosses on heroic mode, i can say that firemages got a hard time to be top dd in this raid.

Odyn --> A very bad fight for us firemages... Targetswitch fucks up
    Guarm --> Its pretty hard to be top 5 pure singletarget... Without good critluck, there is no chance... Other classes are simply stronger singletarget atm.
    Helya --> It´s a pretty good fight for firemages! Sure Livingbomb is here our dps push #1. Hunters and Demonhunter a better in this fight for sure, but we can be top 5 here!

Let me know your experience
    Switching sucks due to ignite, indeed. You're especially right about fire mages belonging to the group of worst ST classes. Good thing we 'deserved' those nerfs, huh?

I didn't like the Odyn target switching, aside from that not a bad fight. Guarm ST wasn't a problem, seriously that thing where he goes up one side and turns around and down the other, is that even a fucking mechanic? You'd have to be blind to die to it.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Deleted
    Going frost for first 2 bosses and fire for Helya

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Do you use ray of frost and/or glacial spike?
    No i run BC, IF and frost bomb with TV

Quote Originally Posted by Escapist View Post
    ...not sure what you think your spells do, but you're wrong.

None of the things you've mentioned have anything to do with target switching. Ignite is better when it can spread to multiple targets, but just switching from one target to another (in the case of Odyn), it doesn't affect your damage whatsoever.
    Also, your reasoning being Arcane being bad due to Quickening also doesn't make sense, because target switching doesn't affect that either. All you have to do to keep Quickening up is attack once every six seconds.
    You are right with the arcan thing. That was my fault

At Odyn your ignite cant spread cause targets are all tanked far away. So you have to start a new ignite on every mob. You know what i mean?

Deleted
    You are right with the arcan thing. That was my fault

At Odyn your ignite cant spread cause targets are all tanked far away. So you have to start a new ignite on every mob. You know what i mean?
    lets say ur dot deals 5 damage and it stacks. If you hit the dot on same target 2 times it takes 10 dmg. if you hit it on 2 targets once how much it deals dmg? still 10

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    If target dies before Ignite dealt full damage, it's bad for dps. More then that, if there's no chance for Ignite spreading, it doesn't increase Mage damage
    Any target dies before Ignite deals full damage.
    Sure 2 spread targets are not good for fire mage, but still it is easy to switch targets with fire mage.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    H. Odyn

Phase 1: Focus on the mini boss you are assigned to but throw some pyroblast procs to the other one as well so you can have ignite running on both, small damage increase and not necessarily needed. When the rune mobs appear as a ranged dps you should focus the ones who are not accessible by melee, aka those who are not next to boss, but damage-wise it's wiser to focus the mobs near the mini-bosses. As for phase 2, you basically need to take care of your positioning and ice floes uses, you aim to be on the right of the platform for when Hyrja spawns and to the left for the other (whose name I cannot recall). As for phase 3 the only thing you need to remember is if your combustion is ready and the boss is casting the debuff ability soon, wait for it so you won't potentially have to leave your rune of power in order to put the whirlwinds in the corners.

Guarm: Pure single target, nothing specific about fire mages.

Helya: Use Shade of Medivh's Aran trinket, you won't regret it. Also LB, keep kindling since you need the single target burst as frequently as you can for Helya herself, she has a little too much hp. On your opener, when your combustion ends and you aim to use your second rune, you can wait 1-2 seconds for Helya to cast breath, then go LB->RoP->weave between the last phoenix flames and pyros, as well as any returning Fire Blast. Use LB on adds when they are mostly stacked, it's sometimes hard to manage that because they kinda fixate on people, then use LB->RoP again. If you do not have Rot debuff, go up the stairs (first on the left and then on the right platform) and then do your AoE rotation since the waves can push you out of your rune and lose the damage increase = RiP.