10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Red alert 2 in VR and 3d engine

Found this a interesting concept:

Do you think this will be a future of strategy games?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Interesting proof of concept. While I don't think this is the future for RTS games, this does show that it has potential. The controllers can obscure a bit too much, and jumping around the map could be disorienting, but I think with some more refinement something like this could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Do you think this will be a future of strategy games?
    A novelty at best, but damn have they done a good job at porting it.

RTS is largely about user interface and this looks rather clumsy, I think supreme commander is the current high water mark in that arena imo. Can't beat that infinite zoom, it also supports dual screens but because of the aforementioned zooming that is largely redundant I found.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I wonder how an RTS/FPS hybrid ala Battlezone would play in VR. I loved BZ & BZ2.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    A novelty at best, but damn have they done a good job at porting it.

RTS is largely about user interface and this looks rather clumsy, I think supreme commander is the current high water mark in that arena imo. Can't beat that infinite zoom, it also supports dual screens but because of the aforementioned zooming that is largely redundant I found.
    Yeh its true i would prefer playing with a mouse. Looking at map left and right is pretty much like using camera change button. (wich can cause confuzion on big maps)

But it could work for any game.

Looks pretty cool to me, one of my favourite games too.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Looks pretty cool to me, one of my favourite games too.

Yeh and build menu needs to be either on left or right side of screen, since you cant look down every time you want to build something.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is REALLY fucking cool. Having to use that hand-held thing looks awkward as fuck though. I can definitely see RTS going to VR/3D, but not quite like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Interesting concept, but horribly impractical for the genre I feel.
    Perhaps for Tower Defense games it could work, particularly those with an FPS element, such as the Sanctum series as well as Orcs Must Die.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That is REALLY fucking cool. Having to use that hand-held thing looks awkward as fuck though. I can definitely see RTS going to VR/3D, but not quite like that.
    You know, your right. They ported nearly the epitome of classic RTS style straight into VR. If they tweak the gameplay a bit maybe it will look more natural, maybe something like battlezone that is not such epic scale. Actually I think battlezone is working on doing just that since the re release.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this would be an amazing transition for Warhammer style tabletop games. Sure there's a certain appeal to the physical and the dice, but I think if they did something like this where you and another player could stand a few feet away, or even miles away and be playing at the same table it would be amazing. Heck, it'd work for almost any type of tabletop game! I'd love to play D&D like this.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    This could really expand the rts genre to consoles with things like the psvr. I'll be watching this pretty close

10+ Year Old Account
    I love RTS games and Red Alert, unfortunately I can't use VR hardware having monovision. This makes me sad.. just give me the ported game with traditional UI.