Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GW2 Heart of Thorns 50% OFF Nov 15-22

http://dulfy.net/2016/11/14/gw2-hear...off-nov-15-22/

Quote Originally Posted by dulfy
    GW2 Heart of Thorns expansion is on sale for 50% OFF from Nov 15 – 22

Instead of the usual $49.99, the standard pack will be $24.99 USD while the Deluxe pack will be $37.49 USD.

You can buy it here on the official site
    Real low cheap. Good opportunity to get stuck in, & includes max level boost and other goodies to get stuck into the endgame right away. I'm still inclined to recommend GW2 over anything else on the market, personally, so if you've not tried the game before, might be worth having a look into.

Timing is interesting. There've been rumblings of X2 lately, including leaks and mentions of development focus on the next expansion in financials. This sale is possibly an indicator that they are gearing up to make an expansion announcement sometime soon.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I haven't played since 2013...tell me this: is there a lot of pve content, did they improve dungeons? Are necromancers still complete garbage? Mainly asking from a pve perspective.

Dungeons didn't get much meat added but Fractals are five-man content which are quite good. They've also added raids which have been taken pretty well.
    Necromancers are good. A bit worse since last patch, but still pretty good. Far better than they were in the first two years.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I bought the expansion and did not like it at all. I didn't play much though but for what ever reason it lost my interested when I tried to play it.

How is the actual game now ? Did I somehow miss something at Launch that was supposed to be fun ?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbadubba View Post
    I bought the expansion and did not like it at all. I didn't play much though but for what ever reason it lost my interested when I tried to play it.

How is the actual game now ? Did I somehow miss something at Launch that was supposed to be fun ?
    I suppose it depends what maps you played. I didn't like Tangled Depths at all but the first 2 weren't quite good. I really like Auric Basin. I have been working towards my masteries and there is a fair amount to do. I still think they stuffed up the exp in terms of the volume of content. It was a bit on the light side. I would like to have seen about twice as many maps. On the whole, though, the game is still fun and the maps are always full.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I suppose it depends what maps you played. I didn't like Tangled Depths at all but the first 2 weren't quite good. I really like Auric Basin. I have been working towards my masteries and there is a fair amount to do. I still think they stuffed up the exp in terms of the volume of content. It was a bit on the light side. I would like to have seen about twice as many maps. On the whole, though, the game is still fun and the maps are always full.
    One day I'm going to force myself to complete the HoT maps...but hot damn if it still isn't one of the least appealing things on my "to-do" list in terms of gaming -_-

Glad the new maps they've been adding in S3 are much, much, much, much better on pretty much every level possible.

I've completed Auric and Verdant, on different alts, and most of the other two, it's just more of a chore than it should be.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I've completed Auric and Verdant, on different alts, and most of the other two, it's just more of a chore than it should be.
    Tangled Depths is the most unintuitive map I have ever been on in a game. There is no flow to it. Dragons Stand has a flow but it's gated like crazy if the meta isn't on and the meta on that map takes far too long. It's like a 1-2 hour commitment because you need to get into a good map to start off with. Anything over 45 minutes is a big no no for me.

I am more of a solo player and there were a lot of decisions that just stink in HOT. AB hero points being all champs, the metas in Dragon Stand and Tangled Depths, the fact that it's impossible to get a guild hall for a small guild without hired help, the over use of meta events which limits solo play, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's still fun but I have to do a bit of picking and choosing now where before I could go pretty much anywhere I wanted in GW2 and play solo.

I do like some of the new stuff. e.g. Gliding is very cool.

Deleted
    I've gotta say that the price isn't the problem. The problem is it feels like it's too late to get started. The whole living world thing, wich i assume is story content that later gets removed blows my mind. How can a company actually regularly make and rapidly remove the content from their game? This would be like Blizzard adding a patch, say thunder isle for example, and remove it in the next patch with all it's associated content.
    I feel like it's too late for this game. I won't be picking it up again unless they make all their content available so i can experience it. I'm not gonna parachute in there and not know what is going on.

Also... monks. Still can't forgive them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I've gotta say that the price isn't the problem. The problem is it feels like it's too late to get started. The whole living world thing, wich i assume is story content that later gets removed blows my mind. How can a company actually regularly make and rapidly remove the content from their game? This would be like Blizzard adding a patch, say thunder isle for example, and remove it in the next patch with all it's associated content.
    I feel like it's too late for this game. I won't be picking it up again unless they make all their content available so i can experience it. I'm not gonna parachute in there and not know what is going on.
    The Living World thing isn't stuff which gets removed from the game, it hasn't been that since season 1 of it. Now the seasons are always available to be played. Season 2 leads into HoT, and Season 3 takes place after HoT. If you log in anytime while one of the chapters is the current content you get it for free. So basically if you want to play through season 2 and son't already have it you'll need to buy that content. If you log in now you'll get chapter 2 of season 3 unlocked for free and if you also log in after chapter 3 goes live you'll get that for free as well. Which would mean you'd just need to buy HoT (50% off until next week) and chapter 1 or season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifuger View Post
    I haven't played since 2013...tell me this: is there a lot of pve content, did they improve dungeons? Are necromancers still complete garbage? Mainly asking from a pve perspective.
    PVE wise, you get four new maps and a ten man raid. The new maps are slightly larger than typical GW2 maps with lots of stuff packed in, plus each map has it's own map wide event in the style of the Silverwastes (one map has the playerbase defending a city, another is basically a very large scale raid that takes two hours). The ten man raid is... exactly what it sounds like, with three wings (each about three bosses each). Keep in mind, that alot of the expansion's PVE content is gated behind mastery; most events cannot be accessed (or are extremely difficult) without the proper masteries, which will be your biggest grind for the expansion. It took me about thirty hours in the expansion before I could really start doing what I wanted to freely.

I don't play Necro so I don't know.

Each class gets a new specialization, except these specializations function more like prestige classes, each with their own unique abilities (That go on the toolbar) and a new weapon. Necros get a melee spec called Reaper, for example.

The HoT campaign had alot of potential. Key word is had. Still, the HoT campaign is the most fun I've ever had playing when it comes to Personal Story of GW2 (which was already a pretty low bar to pass). Nothing special here, but it is at least fun enough that you want to grind mastery quickly to get to the next story segment (story mode is about ten hours long total)

I know they've started adding Living World stuff again, but I do not know if you need the expansion to access it, as it takes place on a new map.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    I know they've started adding Living World stuff again, but I do not know if you need the expansion to access it, as it takes place on a new map.
    You do need the expansion to take part in the Living World stuff, but if you log in while the chapter is active you'll unlock that chapter for free and then will be able to actually play it whenever you buy HoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    You do need the expansion to take part in the Living World stuff, but if you log in while the chapter is active you'll unlock that chapter for free and then will be able to actually play it whenever you buy HoT.
    Does the new LW map itself require the expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Does the new LW map itself require the expansion?
    There was some talk about people being able to use a teleport to friend to get into the new maps without the expansion, but I'm not sure if that works or not. I think they've made it so you can't get into the new maps without doing the story parts to get there. At the very least though if you do manage to get into the new zones what you can do would be really limited due to not having masteries.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was some talk about people being able to use a teleport to friend to get into the new maps without the expansion, but I'm not sure if that works or not. I think they've made it so you can't get into the new maps without doing the story parts to get there. At the very least though if you do manage to get into the new zones what you can do would be really limited due to not having masteries.
    I was reading something on reddit the other day where someone had used to teleport to friend to get onto the Bloodstone Fen map but when he actually tried to waypoint there again afterwards, it would kick him back out to another area. I'm pretty sure people have to have the expansion for those maps, but personally I found it to be worth it. I liked the new story sections and Bloodstone Fen is a really neat map.

$25 is about what HoT was worth absolute tops when it came out...being that I haven't played the game in about a year now (2-3 weeks of HoT at release killed my desire to play), I could only hope it's still worth at least that.

Kinda hard for any MMO (or game for that matter) to pry me away from FF14 at this time, though.

Deleted
    The Living World thing isn't stuff which gets removed from the game, it hasn't been that since season 1 of it. Now the seasons are always available to be played. Season 2 leads into HoT, and Season 3 takes place after HoT. If you log in anytime while one of the chapters is the current content you get it for free. So basically if you want to play through season 2 and son't already have it you'll need to buy that content. If you log in now you'll get chapter 2 of season 3 unlocked for free and if you also log in after chapter 3 goes live you'll get that for free as well. Which would mean you'd just need to buy HoT (50% off until next week) and chapter 1 or season 3.
    I didnt know that. That does make the game more enticing. It was the biggest hold back for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    $25 is about what HoT was worth absolute tops when it came out...being that I haven't played the game in about a year now (2-3 weeks of HoT at release killed my desire to play), I could only hope it's still worth at least that.

Kinda hard for any MMO (or game for that matter) to pry me away from FF14 at this time, though.
    I find that such an odd thing to say. $15 per month on FF is worth it but $25 is the maximum that HOT is worth as a one time fee. That might be the case, at a big stretch, for people who have GW2 already but for new people?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I didnt know that. That does make the game more enticing. It was the biggest hold back for me.
    One of the most attractive things about GW2 is that you can pop in and out without falling behind. That's where the first season of LS fell down but since then its held true.

Deleted
    It is worth noting that dev and balance team is still clueless about their job and ignores most feedback only to implement random change that does not fix issues but create more in the same place(sPvP perspective)
    Also the forum management is worse than anywhere else, any criticism (even well formed constructive one) is instantly deleted, feedback/ideas are all merged into blob threads that nobody could possibly follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I find that such an odd thing to say. $15 per month on FF is worth it but $25 is the maximum that HOT is worth as a one time fee. That might be the case, at a big stretch, for people who have GW2 already but for new people?

- - - Updated - - -

One of the most attractive things about GW2 is that you can pop in and out without falling behind. That's where the first season of LS fell down but since then its held true.
    I had run out of things and was bored to tears with the event grinds for currencies and/or mastery 3 weeks into HoT, which cost me $70 at the time. (edit: I bought digital deluxe, forgot about that)

I rejoined FF14 back in March and still haven't run out of things to do.

Despite my disdain with HoT (at launch at least), I still recommend GW2 as a game to check out, and it's lack of sub fee is one of many reasons as to why.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2016-11-17 at 02:04 PM.