Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Police investigate alarming posters promoting the Alt-Right

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ters-1.3850386

A Toronto resident who says she was horrified to see a "racist" poster on a pole while walking to her children's school on Monday is blaming it partly on Donald Trump's victory in the U.S. presidential election last week.

The posters, of which there at least a half dozen, showed up on Monday in and around Stan Wadlow Park in east Toronto near Woodbine and Cosburn avenues.

They begin "Hey, white person," and invite readers to "join the alt-right." The posters also list websites that promise to provide news from a "pro-European" perspective.

"It is racist. All cultures should be respected. That's just the way it is," said Penny Harker. "I think they're up because … of the Trump thing. I think he's filled everybody's heads with this on immigration."

Kevin Kerr made the same connection, tweeting a photo of the poster after his child's caregiver texted it to him.

So disgusted by racists empowered by @realDonaldTrump....my children's caregiver texted me this ad found at Stan Wadlow park in East York. pic.twitter.com/cJPGtVSGwn
    — @KerrEteach

Coun. Janet Davis responded Monday afternoon with a tweet of her own condemning the posters.

Police officers and city workers were on the scene Monday removing the posters, a task made more difficult because some were glued, rather than simply taped, to the utility poles.

Rinaldo Walcott, director of the Women and Gender Studies Institute at the University of Toronto, said in an email to CBC Toronto that he felt the timing of the posters was no accident.

"Of course the American election has emboldened white nationalist groups in Toronto," he wrote. "Only time will tell how far out of the shadows they will emerge."

Police said they have yet to determine if the posters will be investigated as a hate crime.
    Ward 31 councilor Janet Davis was notified of the sign and said city staff would be removing the posters.

“This hate is unacceptable in our city,” Davis tweeted. “Staff are removing the posters immediately and investigating who is responsible.”

Nate Erskine-Smith, the member of parliament for Beaches-East York, also condemned the sign.

“We are better than this. Ignorant, unacceptable and #NotMyCanada,” he tweeted.

Toronto Police spokesperson Victor Kwong said police have received many reports about the signs and have taken them down.

“This report will be furthered to see whether or not it is a crime or not,” Kwong said. “We’re looking into it.”

Similar signs were spotted in different areas across the city. One poster listing groups associated with the alt-right movement was spotted at 1 Yonge St. Another poster showing a photo of a young boy reaching for his father’s hand as he stands in line in a military uniform with the caption “they didn’t fight and die for you to hand the west away” was seen in Bennington Heights, according to a Facebook post.

Marilyn Mayo, a research fellow at the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism, described the alt-right movement as “a loose network of people who promote white identity, and reject mainstream conservatism in favour of a politics that embraces either implicit or explicit racism or white supremacy.” She is not surprised it has appeared in Canada.

Yikes! Definitely seems to be a spillover effect.
    I like that there is such a backlash here though. We must nip this in the bud!
    I love the #notinMyCanada hashtag.
    Last edited by Tennis; 2016-11-15 at 12:22 PM.

sounds like canada is full of racist bigots. how does it feel to live in such a horrible place? must really be a downer bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    D:

The Alt right is just a normie conspiracy to steal our memes!

Canada?

It's probably a troll. There are no racist people in Canada.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    sounds like canada is full of racist bigots. how does it feel to live in such a horrible place? must really be a downer bro.
    Nope. Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world. This type of behaviour won't be tolerated.
    I hope they face serious action.

They begin "Hey, white person,"
    Race baiting. I can see why it'd be considered racist. It implies the message is meant for whites only. Why would that be, I wonder...

Those alt-right swines at it again, the abject horror.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Those alt-right swines at it again, the abject horror.

come on now, this guy doesn't seem that bad does he?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Identity politics...it's racist when they do it.

oh noes, somebody might have illegal thoughts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    oh noes, somebody might have illegal thoughts
    They can have whatever thoughts they want. When they're posting it on someone else's property? Not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    D:

The Alt right is just a normie conspiracy to steal our memes!
    Genn, I think you need to lay off the memes for a bit. Just for a couple of weeks y'know. Detox your system.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's awesome that things are so nice in Canada that they have to use police to investigate some paper with words on it.

Damn Tennisace must live the good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Genn, I think you need to lay off the memes for a bit. Just for a couple of weeks y'know. Detox your system.

It is the lack of memes! Normies took over all the meme sites to make them political machines. It will take months for them to fully recover.

The alt-right: A collection of people offended that other people don't like assholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

It is the lack of memes! Normies took over all the meme sites to make them political machines. It will take months for them to fully recover.
    What if it was meme sites that took over the political machines though?

10+ Year Old Account
    What if it was meme sites that took over the political machines though?
    Its the normies who would do this. They are hijacking memes! They will turn all meme sites into 9gag!

Its the normies who would do this. They are hijacking memes! They will turn all meme sites into 9gag!
    The US 2020 election. via 9gag.com.

Watermark on all election material. It could happen if we're not careful.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US 2020 election. via 9gag.com.

Watermark on all election material. It could happen if we're not careful.
    We need to save memes from the normies!

*snippy snip*

Infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-11-16 at 01:04 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Canada?

It's probably a troll. There are no racist people in Canada.
    Don't kid yourself, not all Canadians swoon over Syrian refugees and Muslims. In fact, I am sure if they polled ever Canadian citizen, there would be a significant portion of the population who don't agree with bringing refugees into this country or even allowing Islam to exist in Canada.