Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    I'm not pissy, I was explaining to you why your opinion is flawed. I understand people thinking these are supposed to be germans, but they're not. They're from a completely different planet. As such trying to impose your views on race on them is laughable. And, again, this is a movie for the Japanese market. They don't have tons of white people who speak fluent Japanese they could cast in the role.

- - - Updated - - -

That's nice. Read my response to JTBrig.
    except there is visible differences to races and the countries in fma are direct analogues to countries in our world.

amestris is germany, drachma is russia, xing is china, ishval is based off different regions of the middle east.

we clearly see asian, middle eastern and germanic people in fma.

saying its "laughable" because its "a different planet" is like saying there arent any black people in world of warcraft when theres a black person in the new novel coming out.

they filmed this movie in italy, not japan. "speaking fluent japanese" is not an issue. there are many many many actors, especially of asian american decent who dont speak chinese or japanese but are frequently given roles in chinese and japanese films, theyre given coaching on how to speak their lines even if they dont understand them

one such actor is hong kong film star daniel wu who when he started acting did not speak chinese and even now has to recieve coaching on his lines, he also played gul'dan in the warcraft movie.

having actors that dont speak their native language is nothing unusual or new in the chinese and Japanese film industry

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but it doesn't. I know exactly what you guys are talking about and your point is only valid if you're viewing this with bigotry. The color of someone's skin doesn't fucking matter and neither do their facial features. The important aspect is the story and the relationship of the two brothers. Pretending their race is the most important thing(you guys are elevating it to one of the most important things) is superficial and asinine. But keep getting hung up on inconsequential shit.
    nowhere did i say this.

however it is ironic that you said this is coming from a place of bigotry when they went out of their way to film this movie in italy but just conveniently dont have any filthy gaijins in their movie.

also incredibly ironic when i was one of the main supporters when marvel was leaning towards casting a black kid as peter parker and an asian as danny rand.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    also incredibly ironic when i was one of the main supporters when marvel was leaning towards casting a black kid as peter parker and an asian as danny rand.
    For me personally I give no fuck's who does the role of any character. As long as they look the part and fit the setting I am fine with it. Hell even if they don't (Like this one) I will still keep a open mind and check it out.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The special effects for transmutation and the Chamera are actually better than I thought they would be when I heard about a live action adaptation. Not sure about Alphonse, not enough footage to see.

The trailer music was remarkably out of place. Live-action Edward's dyed hair looks obviously dyed.

I don't expect greatness, but I won't know until I watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's nice. Read my response to JTBrig. And Xing was based on China, not all asian culture.
    Are Chinese not Asian...?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Are Chinese not Asian...?
    Nope didn't you get the memo
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I'm not pissy, I was explaining to you why your opinion is flawed. I understand people thinking these are supposed to be germans, but they're not. They're from a completely different planet. As such trying to impose your views on race on them is laughable. And, again, this is a movie for the Japanese market. They don't have tons of white people who speak fluent Japanese they could cast in the role.

- - - Updated - - -

That's nice. Read my response to JTBrig. And Xing was based on China, not all asian culture.
    How can you say racial views imposed on them is laughable because it's a completely different planet, then say Xing was based on China?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but it doesn't. I know exactly what you guys are talking about and your point is only valid if you're viewing this with bigotry. The color of someone's skin doesn't fucking matter and neither do their facial features. The important aspect is the story and the relationship of the two brothers. Pretending their race is the most important thing(you guys are elevating it to one of the most important things) is superficial and asinine. But keep getting hung up on inconsequential shit.
    Ed would most accurately be portrayed by a black woman.

It's a safe bet that most people watch anime for the story so as long they get all the plot points right I am all for it.

All I ask is it not to be as bad as Avatar The Last Air Bender Movie lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Hey if it gets people interested enough to consider reading the manga or watching the anime I'm all for it.
    Especially with FMA being one of my favorite (if not my favorite) animes out there, I knew this was going to smell funny to me from the moment it was announced months and months ago. So what you've said could perhaps be the only upside.

are they going to try to fit the plot of the entire series in a 2 hour movie?

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    are they going to try to fit the plot of the entire series in a 2 hour movie?
    Probably not; I bet it'll either be a portion of the plot ala Death Note films or an original story set in the FMA universe, ala the first FMA series.

For every 10 shitty live-action movie, there's always 1 good... maybe it will be this one? *cross fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    All those people look like they could be the same race...
    Are you serious? Ed is clealy caucassian (blonde and white) Lan Fan Chinese (Black hair round face white skin), and Scar looks Arabic (Brown)

This makes me want to watch the anime's again lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Are you serious? Ed is clealy caucassian (blonde and white) Lan Fan Chinese (Black hair round face white skin), and Scar looks Arabic (Brown)
    The anime makes that clear through the culture, but honestly, I'm with the camp that says that most anime have very weak indications of race compared to the actual differences we see in real life and Western cartoons.

Don't really see this becoming anything particularly interesting, and I doubt it will make a lot of non-Japanese people check out Fullmetal Alchemist.

Youtube is complaining that ed is asian and not European.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    Youtube is complaining that ed is asian and not European.
    Yeah, gets pretty complicated when an author decides to make their protagonist - and indeed, the entirety of the cast - of a completely different ethnicity/nationality than that of the author. Wouldn't have been so werid of the author came from a mixed-culture like America, but in this case thinga just get really werid when it comes to adapting FMA. The series is a monumental piece of Japanese culture, and yet all of the characters in it are as far away from Japan as possible.

OMG stop with the Live action anime movies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Seriously folks, it shouldn't matter what ethnicity the actors are. As long as it's a good story, is well acted and doesn't have shitty effects and such, it's fine. The word "adaptation" exists for a reason.
    Mostly the effects I'm concerned about personally.