Poll: RE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    doesnt matter, to the companies we are idiots who dont know what they want, then again, i wish RE would go back to the roots, aka RE 1 to 3
    I wish we could get the remasters in fucking order. I have 0 1 CVX 4 but no 2 and 3. Most likely gona have to buy 2 and 3 on cube to do my full playthrough as im tired of waiting.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Action. As much as I love REVIL monsters, I don't feel scared from them. RE6 is actually pretty fun if you look past some of it's flaws, and remove the RE tag from its name.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    the first Resident Evil was all based on atmosphere though, the sense of waiting and even maybe knowing that something will happen, sure those you mentioned were jump scares but they were hardly that scary, except the dogs jumping from the window. I seemed to remember that the most for some reason...

Outside of the acting the atmosphere was probably the scariest, something only Silent Hill 2 has matched and games now days don't get as much.
    The atmosphere in a game like Silent Hill 2 and RE1 is completely different, though. The reason RE generated dread is because you were constantly on the lookout for jump scares, and the meta-aspect of running low on resources. Whereas in Silent Hill 2, almost all the creepy stuff is telegraphed a LONG way away and you are never short on ammo and health, and the horror is primarily from the oppressive world design, the script, etc.

I think 4 was a good move, in that people probably wouldn't have bought a RE4 that was just 'another one'. It was a necessary adaptation. But somewhere along the way, they bought into the action switch way too hard, and 5/6 happened.

Not sure what their intent is with 7, to totally reinvent again but on the opposite spectrum?

I was hyped for a new one that looked spooky, but this feels way too much like they're riding the latest pc horror game hype train which has ran out of steam some time ago.

I prefer for there to be a focus on horror - especially if there's a solid balance between psychological horror and gore. Action games are pretty common and for me too much focus on 'Hollywood style' action in horror settings simply serves to diminish the threat and creepiness.

Definitely more towards horror. I always remember playing the original 1-3 when I was a kid and it wasn't the jump scares or the monster design that was scary. It was the atmosphere. It was the thought that SOMETHING is around the corner, and you're running low on resources. Combine that with the intricate level design, puzzles and mutating monsters is what made the formula fun.

I still remember the first time I played RE3. I was in middle school. I had played and beaten 1 and 2, and there were things that you knew were universal truths. Going through doors was usually safe if you needed to skip enemies due to low resources. I noticed the music didn't change, thought it might have just been a glitch. Then all I hear is one of the most terrifying sounds I've ever heard in a game when he busted through the door and chased me. I dropped the controller in awe as he gripped my skull and planted a tentacle through my brain instantly killing me. Shit blew my mind. That's the kind of horror RE needs to focus on.

As a fairly huge silent hill fan I got the same feelings from both games. They executed their atmosphere differently, but both extremely well which helped differentiate the series.

In SH I I never found myself starved for resources, but was always curious to see what kind of dark twisted environments I could traverse and the audible horrors that accompanied it. I think leaving the intellectual horror in SH is best.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2016-11-29 at 09:51 PM.

The only "true" Resident Evil was when it was still more of a survival horror game. In retrospect, 1 and 2 were where it's at. I did still very much enjoy RE4, but after that, the franchise completely dismantled itself, and consequently and deservedly spiraled down to irrelevance. Another great example of what happens when things get bogged down by bringing too many non-creative corporate executives into the fold who obsessively think they need to endlessly fumble with things that worked well without their involvement and precisely because of their lack of involvement.

Whilst I prefer the horror, 4 was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Personally I don't care ether way. As long as its fun and the story makes a little sense ill enjoy it.

I did enjoy 5 and had parts of 6 I enjoyed, but as soon as they showed the whole Ada clone shit I stopped playing. I have been meaning to finish RE6.

Enjoyed playing Jakes story in it and being cased by the monster. Gave me such a RE3 Nostalgia.

RE3 is still the best IMO
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

resident evil doesn't scare me..

so,. obviously not as a horror game. XD