This is what I hate about D3.

When you end up sitting up the far end of the bell curve, cursing your luck.

I'm sitting at 618 paragon in Season 8. My WD is trying to get decent helltooth gear to progress. It took my until the mid 400s before I even got the full set of gear, which was bad enough. But how many ancient items do I have for my gear now?

Two. Fucking two. An off hand item that rolled with pretty average stats, and the voodoo mask that I finally got from Kadala. Which also has pretty poor stats.

Not seen an ancient version of the weapon I need drop yet. I got a spare normal version, which I've now rerolled in the cube 18 times without getting an ancient. Not seen a single ancient version of any of the helltooth set drop yet.

I am ready to upgrade 6 pieces of gear, got all the gems ready to go. But it's barely worth me even doing one, since the two ancient items I have could easily get replaced by a well rolled piece of normal gear.

It's driving me up the damn wall.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting an ancient weapon can be annoying. I got mine this season by upgrading rare flails in the cube. Took me also to paragon 600+ to get decent enough gear to beat GR75 on my Crusader.

10+ Year Old Account
    During S7 pretty early on I found a near perfect BiS ancient weapon for my Demon Hunter, amazing roll. I was thrilled and happy. All it lacked was a socket, and all I needed was a Gift.

It took me till about Paragon 630 before my very first Gift dropped. And of course, in good RNG fashion, I ranked up a whooping 12 Gifts before the season ended, with nothing to use them on.

#DiabloStories
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

I feel your pain. I just hit paragon 600 and I am struggling to find ancient Helltooth pieces. I got really lucky and a random WD who was carrying pub grifts tossed me 2 ancient pieces (Staff of Chiroptera and Helltooth chest I believe). Just found some ancient HT feet but they are pretty crappy roll. And Kadala is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    It took me till about Paragon 630 before my very first Gift dropped. And of course, in good RNG fashion, I ranked up a whooping 12 Gifts before the season ended, with nothing to use them on.

#DiabloStories
    Are gifts still in the game? Played a few daysworth recently and not had one; could have sworn I had 4 or 5 in the bank waiting but guess that was my hardcore toons

And like a prophet I got my first one last night. Now to sit on it until I get my second one and I can feel justified using one one a weapon....
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2016-12-02 at 01:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just came back to the game and have not played much in several years... what exactly is an ancient item?

I know orange legendaries and green set items... ancient? Is that when you make a rare into a legendary with the cube?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I just came back to the game and have not played much in several years... what exactly is an ancient item?

I know orange legendaries and green set items... ancient? Is that when you make a rare into a legendary with the cube?
    Higher rolls in some stats, listed here
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Legendaries and set items have a chance to roll the "ancient" affix, which increases the primary and secondary stat pool by about 25%. The difference in power between an ancient weapon and a normal one is usually the difference between only just scraping through GR75 with seconds to go if you get lucky, and face-rolling a GR75.

Well, my "luck" is still going. Approaching 700 paragon now, and I've re-rolled my weapon nearly 30 times, still not got an ancient. Still wearing a full set of normal Helltooth, because I still haven't seen a single ancient drop. And I'm stuck at about GR70, because I can either use a different ancient weapon, which means I don't have the survivability, or I can use the normal version of the Sacred Harvester, in which case I don't have the DPS.

I've done the Caldesann on my off-hand, and on the headpiece that I finally got. That is still the limit of the ancients I've got. Just trying to finish for the stash space now, so I can kiss this crappy season goodbye.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never mind, realized I got one yesterday!
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2016-12-06 at 02:36 PM. Reason: nvm
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    When you end up sitting up the far end of the bell curve, cursing your luck.

I'm sitting at 618 paragon in Season 8. My WD is trying to get decent helltooth gear to progress. It took my until the mid 400s before I even got the full set of gear, which was bad enough. But how many ancient items do I have for my gear now?

Two. Fucking two. An off hand item that rolled with pretty average stats, and the voodoo mask that I finally got from Kadala. Which also has pretty poor stats.

Not seen an ancient version of the weapon I need drop yet. I got a spare normal version, which I've now rerolled in the cube 18 times without getting an ancient. Not seen a single ancient version of any of the helltooth set drop yet.

I am ready to upgrade 6 pieces of gear, got all the gems ready to go. But it's barely worth me even doing one, since the two ancient items I have could easily get replaced by a well rolled piece of normal gear.

It's driving me up the damn wall.
    You've got really bad luck. I started my barb last week, 634 para right now with a near-full ancient IK set (bad RNG on belt) and partial ancient Raekors. I prolly spent over 500k bloodshards trying to roll the right pieces of gear. I find using deaths breath to upgrading rares to legendaries is really good for some weapons/offhands, things that are not shared with a ton of common legendaries.

Keep it up though, they'll drop sooner or later. May be a placebo affect, but it seemed the pieces I wanted dropped more often when I was looking for pieces for another set (even though I didn't really care to use it, just to complete it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    How often do you guys do the horadric caches for the extra mats for Kanai's Cube, and such?
    "A flower.

This happened to me the last two seasons. I'd have over a hundred hours in. A couple friends would decide to play. I'd PL them up and they would outgear and outprogress me with less than half the playing time due to luck. I finally had enough and did not return for Season 8.

How often do you guys do the horadric caches for the extra mats for Kanai's Cube, and such?
    1 time for the objective then i'm done. You don't need many until there's soemthing like "cuobe 50 items" or the 50 million gold streak conquest (which can be done very easily with bounties, just hoard around 100 caches and open them up all together).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    1 time for the objective then i'm done. You don't need many until there's soemthing like "cuobe 50 items" or the 50 million gold streak conquest (which can be done very easily with bounties, just hoard around 100 caches and open them up all together).
    Is that conquest just an achievement or?
    "A flower.

Is that conquest just an achievement or?
    50 milliong gold streak is a conquest. Cube X items is usually one step of the journey.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

The whole Ancient (or in WoW terms, thunder/war/titan forged) concept needs to DIAF. I've hated ancient legendaries ever since they added them into D3, and I didn't care for them in WoW when they started that nonsense in MoP. An additional layer of RNG on top of RNG? No thanks...yet Blizz seems to be doubling down on it over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    The whole Ancient (or in WoW terms, thunder/war/titan forged) concept needs to DIAF. I've hated ancient legendaries ever since they added them into D3, and I didn't care for them in WoW when they started that nonsense in MoP. An additional layer of RNG on top of RNG? No thanks...yet Blizz seems to be doubling down on it over the past few years.
    I agree that it's pretty poor in WoW, since any WQ that gives a good item for your class "has" to be done since it can rngforge into a ilvl895, just to give an example.

In Diablo I don't mind as much, it's only an issue for weapons since you'll get a huge damage boost from it, compared to other pieces. I sometimes even pass on ancients since the legendary roll on it wasn't good or w/e. That aside, as someone who used to be against ancients, they did grow on me. In Diablo it's so easy to get your ideal set of gear now, most pieces even have 1-2 guaranteed stat rolls. If Ancients didn't exist in Diablo the next best thing to far would be the same item piece with the same/better stats that rolled higher. While Ancients kinda guarantee (there are exceptions, as mentioned) to give you a stat boost.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    I agree that it's pretty poor in WoW, since any WQ that gives a good item for your class "has" to be done since it can rngforge into a ilvl895, just to give an example.

In Diablo I don't mind as much, it's only an issue for weapons since you'll get a huge damage boost from it, compared to other pieces. I sometimes even pass on ancients since the legendary roll on it wasn't good or w/e. That aside, as someone who used to be against ancients, they did grow on me. In Diablo it's so easy to get your ideal set of gear now, most pieces even have 1-2 guaranteed stat rolls. If Ancients didn't exist in Diablo the next best thing to far would be the same item piece with the same/better stats that rolled higher. While Ancients kinda guarantee (there are exceptions, as mentioned) to give you a stat boost.
    Initially I thought the ancient concept was cool, but after a season of two of it where I or friends of mine would be in the predicament of "aaahhhh I need ancient version of xyz weapon for my build so I can really push GRs", it started to get old quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really thought I was in a similar situation. I must have spent... 20k Blood shards over the past couple of weeks trying to gamble a Sanguinary Bracers, while also running Grifts trying to get one to drop...

Found out today, they only drop from Act 1 caches and can't be gambled...

FML
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30