Cool P.E.I. farmer assists in near-eradication of methane from cow flatulence

Researcher in Canada find a certain species of seaweed reduces the amount of greenhouse gasses in cow flatulence.

This is a much bigger problem than you'd think, cow flatulence is a huge contributer to greenhouse gasses, like 20% worldwide.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince...ting-1.3856202

A P.E.I. farmer has helped lead to a researcher's discovery of an unlikely weapon in the battle against global warming: a seaweed that nearly eliminates the destructive methane content of cow burps and farts.

Joe Dorgan began feeding his cattle seaweed from nearby beaches more than a decade ago as a way to cut costs on his farm in Seacow Pond. He was so impressed with the improvements he saw in his herd, he decided to turn the seaweed into a product.

"There's a mixture of Irish moss, rockweed and kelp, and just going to waste," he said. "And I knew it was good because years ago, our ancestors, that's what they done their business with."

Then researcher Rob Kinley caught wind of it.

Lasers
    These lasers are used to measure the amount of methane released in the field. (CSIRO Agriculture)

The agricultural scientist, then at Dalhousie University, helped test Dorgan's seaweed mix, and discovered it reduced the methane in the cows' burps and farts by about 20 per cent.

Kinley knew he was on to something, so he did further testing with 30 to 40 other seaweeds. That led him to a red seaweed Asparagopsis taxiformis he says reduces methane in cows burps and farts to almost nothing.

'Agriculture stands to be one of the first to make major changes in the greenhouse gas inventory and so it's really a game changer if we can get this out into the market.'
    – Rob Kinley
    "I was testing one day a series of samples when all of a sudden it looked like my instruments were having problems, and I wasn't able to see emissions from one particular sample," he said. "So I did it over and over again and lo and behold the methane emissions were eliminated.

"That's when the light went on."

The discovery, Kinley said, could be a "game changer" when it comes to global warming.

Seaweed
    Rob Kinley tested different types of seaweed to use to feed cattle. (Ocean Harvest)

"Ruminant animals are responsible for roughly 20 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions globally, so it's not a small number," said Kinley, an agricultural research scientist now working at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation in Queensland, Australia.

"We're talking numbers equivalent to hundreds of millions of cars."

Kinley thinks it could take anywhere from three to five years to get a commercial animal feed to market. He says the biggest challenge will be growing enough seaweed.

"Agriculture stands to be one of the first to make major changes in the greenhouse gas inventory and so it's really a game changer if we can get this out into the market."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The cows have stopped farting, we can all go back to eating steak!
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    But does the cow still taste as good?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooohhh....

Is that what climate change deniers meant when they said it was bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He did what now?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thought this thread was posted by the triggered one, to which I was going to say it's a shit thread, but it's more of a thread about shit.

That's quite the well-groomed cow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    But does the cow still taste as good?!
    Given the highly nutritious value of seaweed, it probably tastes better.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Until the seaweed is the main home/diet of some obscure plankton that releases O2.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    We must research this further

THE STEAKS HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

You clearly haven't seen cows fed marijuana.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No, but I have seen cows on meth. Mad cows brah

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Researcher in Canada find a certain species of seaweed reduces the amount of greenhouse gasses in cow flatulence.

This is a much bigger problem than you'd think, cow flatulence is a huge contributer to greenhouse gasses, like 20% worldwide.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince...ting-1.3856202

A P.E.I. farmer has helped lead to a researcher's discovery of an unlikely weapon in the battle against global warming: a seaweed that nearly eliminates the destructive methane content of cow burps and farts.

Joe Dorgan began feeding his cattle seaweed from nearby beaches more than a decade ago as a way to cut costs on his farm in Seacow Pond. He was so impressed with the improvements he saw in his herd, he decided to turn the seaweed into a product.

"There's a mixture of Irish moss, rockweed and kelp, and just going to waste," he said. "And I knew it was good because years ago, our ancestors, that's what they done their business with."

Lasers
    These lasers are used to measure the amount of methane released in the field. (CSIRO Agriculture)

The agricultural scientist, then at Dalhousie University, helped test Dorgan's seaweed mix, and discovered it reduced the methane in the cows' burps and farts by about 20 per cent.

Kinley knew he was on to something, so he did further testing with 30 to 40 other seaweeds. That led him to a red seaweed Asparagopsis taxiformis he says reduces methane in cows burps and farts to almost nothing.

'Agriculture stands to be one of the first to make major changes in the greenhouse gas inventory and so it's really a game changer if we can get this out into the market.'
    – Rob Kinley
    "I was testing one day a series of samples when all of a sudden it looked like my instruments were having problems, and I wasn't able to see emissions from one particular sample," he said. "So I did it over and over again and lo and behold the methane emissions were eliminated.

"That's when the light went on."

The discovery, Kinley said, could be a "game changer" when it comes to global warming.

Seaweed
    Rob Kinley tested different types of seaweed to use to feed cattle. (Ocean Harvest)

"Ruminant animals are responsible for roughly 20 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions globally, so it's not a small number," said Kinley, an agricultural research scientist now working at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation in Queensland, Australia.

"We're talking numbers equivalent to hundreds of millions of cars."

Kinley thinks it could take anywhere from three to five years to get a commercial animal feed to market. He says the biggest challenge will be growing enough seaweed.

"Agriculture stands to be one of the first to make major changes in the greenhouse gas inventory and so it's really a game changer if we can get this out into the market."
    Would it work for people too? Cus man, I've got gas problems.
    There's also some Danish researchers trying out Oregano as a way to reduce methane in cows by some 25%. THey dont yet know if it flavors the cows or the milk though, but that's what testing is for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Fuck. 10/10 you win some internets.