Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, you're at the very root of the problem here; what does make a chef? Cooking these stamp-sized little "princess meals", that supposedly are "pretty" and all that, and according to someone taste good? I mean, it's art, is what it is. Right? And art is, what? Nothing. Right? Art is just a thing that someone decides to call it. There's some asshole somewhere saying oh boy this scrap of shit surely tastes good, and ooh, suddenly A CHEF HAS BEEN BORN.

What a load of BS.

Then you go into one of these so-called "michelin" restaurants, and eat one of these art installations, the size of a stamp, and if you don't like the way it tastes, suddenly you're the one who's faulty, because "michelin".

Open your eyes. There's no there there. These assholes can't cook any better than some random grandmother in some small town in Italy.

Also, starve yourself for 3-4 days, and you'll think anyone's cooking is divine. It's subjective. Jesus.

Then enter a cooking competition if it's so easy. Clearly you can easily get on Chopped, Master Chef, or Hell's Kitchen and win it all, right?

And what you are talking about in regards to portion sizes are either items from a Tasting Menu of at least six courses or a Tapas menu.

But since Michelin has been around since 1900 I will take their word over that of someone who can't boil water to save his life.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    I think you are not even reading what people are writing. Are all of your 15k posts of this uninformed nature?
    I feel like this is new, once upon I time I remember him being a normal person.

Maybe it is his new online persona(ironic)
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

It's funny, the kind of people that can get a following. Rock stars, athletes, actors... But, also, if you're really talented at cooking up a really pretty 100 calorie meal and yelling shit to people without fearing that they actually might take your head off, that gets you fans also. Oh wow. How has the world changed.

I'm actually wondering whether you people are lining up behind him because he's a bully, or because he can make these pretty little girly meals. I'm guessing it's the former, because, well, people are assholes, and love to root for bullies.

LMAO ... 100 calorie meal ... LMAO
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Dude, you didn't need to ruin everything with logic and actually proper and good arguments. I was happy doing what Mr. Ramsay does and not use any logic or argument at all, and just throw shit in people's faces.

Look, that's his persona. He chose to be known as that asshole. He doesn't get to complain if that's what he is identified as forever now. He gave up that right.

The fact remains, those small portions that these chefs make are a matter of taste. You can't argue over taste. Taste isn't up to argument. Which is where the idea that these people make their bite size portions and pretend like they're the end all be all of...eating, that the human species has ever encountered, comes from.

I could eat a single candy, made in a factory, and say it tastes better than something this guy cooked in his kitchen. So there we go. Argument over. Then all he can do is "well you don't know" and bla bla bla and personal insults.

Which leads me back to, art. Art. That's what it is. Or supposed to be. Because "art" gives you the right to be an asshole towards people who don't like it. That's when you get to say "well you don't get it", and other asinine shit like that.

The funny thing is, 99.999% of the people going to those restaurants don't know the difference between licking an asshole and eating what they just ate, yet they act like they're critics. That's me included. But that's also these people, who give out these so called "michelin" whatchamacallits, included. They have a tongue, and a mouth, and taste receptors. That's all they have. Just like every single one of us. They're not "talented" in any way. It's not a "skill".

So yeah, I'm sure these so-called "artists" make a huge effort to make their food cook right at look right, but...who gives a shit. Good food is good food only if the eater thinks it's good food. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I feel like this is new, once upon I time I remember him being a normal person.

Maybe it is his new online persona(ironic)
    I think you've not been reading what I've been posting if that's what you think.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-11-25 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    My gf and I had the wellington at his nyc restaurant named Maze, it is amazing.

I opted for the tasting menu at Maze when I went, but at the next restaurant of his I visit the Wellington will be mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Just because something can have subjective values doesnt immediately mean you cant have real metrics placed on it.

Its alright to have shit taste, and not understand how things work, just stop digging.
    You're doing nothing but making a case for elitist, holier-than-thou assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you're at the very root of the problem here; what does make a chef? Cooking these stamp-sized little "princess meals", that supposedly are "pretty" and all that, and according to someone taste good? I mean, it's art, is what it is. Right? And art is, what? Nothing. Right? Art is just a thing that someone decides to call it. There's some asshole somewhere saying oh boy this scrap of shit surely tastes good, and ooh, suddenly A CHEF HAS BEEN BORN.

What a load of BS.

Then you go into one of these so-called "michelin" restaurants, and eat one of these art installations, the size of a stamp, and if you don't like the way it tastes, suddenly you're the one who's faulty, because "michelin".

Open your eyes. There's no there there. These assholes can't cook any better than some random grandmother in some small town in Italy.

Also, starve yourself for 3-4 days, and you'll think anyone's cooking is divine. It's subjective. Jesus.
    Why are you so unhappy? Are you alone for the holidays?
    Damn dude, call a hooker or something, and lighten up. Shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, on topic: My favourite episode is still the one with the crazy owners that took their server's tip, and Ramsay threw in the towel and just quit. Shit was insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Epic Meal Time > This small, short, ugly, old, unintelligent little insignificant glorified cook called Gordon Ramsay has ever cooked up, is cooking up, or will ever cook up.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EpicMealTime/videos

But no, I like his little fingernail-sized "meals" with a fairy sprinkling of some "spice" nobody has ever heard of. GIVE HIM A FOURTH MICHELIN STAR!

Oh, yeah, I forgot, paying 200 bucks for 1 calorie cos the "chef" is an "artiste".
    Are you by chance a fedora wearing 300lb hipster living in a basement somewhere? You sound like the type of guy that would shun anything mainstream.

Aren't stereotypes fun?

You've dug past six feet already.

They have a tongue, and a mouth, and taste receptors. That's all they have. Just like every single one of us. They're not "talented" in any way. It's not a "skill".
    Hahahaha, you have no idea what you're talking about. Go tell that to a Sommelier, you'll just be kicked out.

15+ Year Old Account
    One of these posters is not like the other ones, one of these posters does not belong!

Can you guess which one it is?

Or maybe we should call this thread "Who's that Ignoramus?" "It's Sydänyö!" (insert some random angry noise here)

Personally, I'd love to have food from any top chef in the world. I think it'll need to go on my bucket list.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

You're making a populist argument about the merits of art. Art has rarely been populist; in the past century, "pop art" has come about but is generally considered blander to appeal to more people. Some people may argue that art isn't meant to be populist - art is art for art's sake. That's why I can look at "Piss Christ," think it's not really think it's good art, but I can still, without cognitive dissonance, say it is indeed art. To take an even more subtle argument - I don't really care for the work of Georgia O'Keefe - she doesn't really speak to my life - but I can say, without cognitive dissonance that she is at least a good artist, if not an important one.

As to your portion size argument - anything deemed "good" will always be kept in short supply lest it become commonplace and thus boring or mundane. Lots of "good art" has been forgotten to mediocrity because of its abundance - cf Norman Rockwell. He had a great artistic whimsy and was an above average artist, but because his pieces were all over the cover of the Saturday Evening Post that everyone read, it became commonplace.

There is some conflation of value in accordance for what you get, at that point - but that's simply a critique on the consumption of the art, not the art itself.

For example, Martin Skreli, up until the election, had a Wu Tang album that only he possessed. He paid a ridiculous sum for the exclusive right to be the only person with a copy. That may affect the value of the piece - it doesn't affect whether the album was good or not.

Your argument that critics are no different than you and I is downright anti-intellectualism. By that metric, I'm as good at physics as Einstein, because my brain is roughly the size of his and I am capable of thought. It's like saying because I can buy a paintbrush and canvas, I'm as good as Picasso. It's outright fallacy. I know your argument is focused on critique, but critique is also a skill, based on analysis and grounded in metrics. There is some subjectivity - like interpretation - but there is also a great deal of objectivity.

This rabid populism, btw, is what pushed both Trump and Bernie to the forefront of the American political debate. The idea that everyone had the same grounding as everyone else to discuss policy and matters of state. I know you followed the latter, and it seems like you're going on an anti-establishment tirade with little to no thought put into it.

Deleted
    I see a lot of cheerleaders for a bully, piling on a target. I've seen all of this before. I mean, it was 30 or so years ago, but it's still very familiar. I'll bow out from this bullshit. I've had enough of these. If you want to brownnose this piece of shit, or think that being able to make a pretty food thing is an accomplishment any more than building a castle out of snot is, go right on ahead. I've said my piece, and I'm out.

He may very well be a bully. I don't know him personally and I don't watch reality TV so I'm not familiar with his TV personality.

That detracts nothing from his skill as a chef.

Lots of artists are complete assholes. It only devalues their art in the minds of people who can't separate the work from the artist. Ernest Hemingway was an outright awful person.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot of cheerleaders for a bully, piling on a target. I've seen all of this before. I mean, it was 30 or so years ago, but it's still very familiar. I'll bow out from this bullshit. I've had enough of these. If you want to brownnose this piece of shit, or think that being able to make a pretty food thing is an accomplishment any more than building a castle out of snot is, go right on ahead. I've said my piece, and I'm out.
    How is he a bully when restaurants have to ask him to come?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    He's only like this in the US. Watch any UK counterpart to his US stuff and you'll see a different man entirely. The US feeds on drama, apparently.

And I can only laugh at you right now, Sydänyö. Stop behaving like a child.

Although Ramsey's shows involving children here in the US shows his true self.

- - - Updated - - -

You actually have not said anything in reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Myobi

I think Sydänyö might be Sammy

10+ Year Old Account

What a load of BS.

Now tell us whats really bothering you lol
    Whether the world's greatest gnats, or the world's greats heroes, you're still only mortal!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I didn't even know he did any kids shows in the US, honestly.
    It's actually really sweet. He's really nice to them.

Went to royal hospital road once, i had the menu prestige and it was worth it. Best birthday meal ever. Also no, it was not a 100 cal meal lmao. For 150 euros, it was 3 different meal, 2 entry, 2 dessert, one drink. My belt busted.

PS: Damn did this guy girl get stolen by Ramsay or something?
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-11-25 at 02:11 AM.