Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shaman Tanking Spec (Concept)

This was posted on the wow subreddit not too long ago and I thought it was interesting enough to share with mmo, perhaps it will get a bit more recognition over here for the amount of time this person put into. I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT MY CONTENT, I AM SIMPLY SHARING IT FOR MORE PEOPLE TO SEE BECAUSE I LIKED THE IDEA.

http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/concept/earthshaper-5982

I'd rather see something around using earth elemental/earth shields to block attacks.

But I don't really see the need for a shaman tank anyway

Deleted
    Well frankly, the game could use more tank specs. It's pretty annoying to form a group in seconds except for the tank and then waiting for 20 minutes to find one.
    I like the work on the Earthshaper spec proposed here, but I think Shaman is ok with the current specs, and a fourth, tanking spec would feel a lot like druids.
    I'd rather see new tank specs for mages, rogues, hunters and warlocks.

Shamans lacking a tank spec is the only reason I play twinks.

It would be suuuuuper cool having a forth spec like druids and I would finaly be able to settle on a main.

I just love the idea of a tanking shaman!! To me it makes sense and shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask View Post
    Well frankly, the game could use more tank specs. It's pretty annoying to form a group in seconds except for the tank and then waiting for 20 minutes to find one.
    Lack of tank specs isn't the reason for lack of tanks, there's a lack of tanks because it's just a shit load more work than dpsing, and even healing (obviously depending on the type of content, but for the most part).

There's 6 tank classes now as opposed to 5 healer classes (6 healer specs I guess, since priest sort of gets 2) and you don't have quite the same issue with healers.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask View Post
    I like the work on the Earthshaper spec proposed here, but I think Shaman is ok with the current specs, and a fourth, tanking spec would feel a lot like druids.
    I'd rather see new tank specs for mages, rogues, hunters and warlocks.
    Adding new Tank Specs do not create more tanks. Repeat it with me. Adding new Tank Specs do not create more tanks. Theyve just added a new Tank Spec, Flavor of the Century, Demon Hunter. If that didnt create more tanks, no class will. It simply redistributes the current tanks to other specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Adding new Tank Specs do not create more tanks. Repeat it with me. Adding new Tank Specs do not create more tanks. Theyve just added a new Tank Spec, Flavor of the Century, Demon Hunter. If that didnt create more tanks, no class will. It simply redistributes the current tanks to other specs.
    If its fun, I would play tank shammy and I am dps now.
    Repeat it with me. I am dps and would play tank
    At least for 5 man content.

And there is no tank wearing Mail.
    Plate tanks: 3
    Mail: 0 (Shaman tank, yay!)
    Leather tanks: 3
    Cloth: 0 (Some magic armor wearing, battle mage/conjurer, stuff..) still better than bard/tinker

I don't really want another class/role/spec/race atm. But if they decide to do it, and it will be amazing (not like surv hunter), why not.
    I would rather see some classes fixed before new stuff.
    Just my 2c.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Lack of tank specs isn't the reason for lack of tanks, there's a lack of tanks because it's just a shit load more work than dpsing, and even healing (obviously depending on the type of content, but for the most part).

There's 6 tank classes now as opposed to 5 healer classes (6 healer specs I guess, since priest sort of gets 2) and you don't have quite the same issue with healers.
    Having tanked for literally years, I can tell you that no, tanking is not more work. DPS is actually more work if you want to do it right (theorycrafting, simming your character, etc). Also tanking doesn't involve any kind of competition so it's easier in this regard as well. But tanking (and pulling dungeons) involves more responsabilities, which is what is keeping some people away I guess.
    Also adding a class that can tank but also DPS will not change things much because people will flock to the dps spec, as seen with DH.
    But adding tanking specs to classes that could'nt tank before is something else entirely.

Now the root of the problem (lack of tanks) in WOW is that they have no clear role in PVP. Tanking is PVE only. So of course people will want another spec, they end up liking it more, and they give up tanking. Even in PVE, tanks aren't that great for quests, leveling, solo content, old content, etc (it was even worse in the first years of the game). And even in PVE content where tanks are required, you don't need that much. 5 man group ? only 1 tank. 10-15 man group ? only 2 tanks. 30 man group ? Maybe 3 tanks.
    So of course they're gonna be rare.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noremis View Post
    If its fun, I would play tank shammy and I am dps now.
    Repeat it with me. I am dps and would play tank
    At least for 5 man content.

And there is no tank wearing Mail.
    Plate tanks: 3
    Mail: 0 (Shaman tank, yay!)
    Leather tanks: 3
    Cloth: 0 (Some magic armor wearing, battle mage/conjurer, stuff..) still better than bard/tinker

I don't really want another class/role/spec/race atm. But if they decide to do it, and it will be amazing (not like surv hunter), why not.
    I would rather see some classes fixed before new stuff.
    Just my 2c.
    Wow. So thats one person that would swap. Hold the presses.

Of course a handful of people would swap. Handfuls of people would also swap in the other direction.

Overall, making a new tank class/spec doesnt add any number, that really makes a difference to queues, of new tanks.

Yeah, I agree that more tank specs do not create more tanks, but on the other side, this shouldn't be an argument to not add new tank specs (in new classes even).

I for one would love being able to tank as a shaman, but I wish if we ever get a tank spec that it uses shields
    Everything that is, is alive.

Agaor - Enhancement Shaman

Ive always wanted an affliction style warlock tank. Would play that for sure. Wouldn't change anything, as i'm always a tank anyway, but something different

Deleted
    "Earthshaper Shamans use shields, one-handed weapons, and mail armor."

This is turning me off cause I want tank with 2h weapons. No more shields we have ele and resto with shields and enha with 1h weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarox View Post
    "Earthshaper Shamans use shields, one-handed weapons, and mail armor."

This is turning me off cause I want tank with 2h weapons. No more shields we have ele and resto with shields and enha with 1h weapons.
    They'd probably have to add agility to existing shields so maybe. A class that uses shields not using one to tank seems odd to me though.

Absolute rubbish. I starting tanking in WotLK and only stopped this xpac. Tanking is by far the easiest role. Healing is the most stressful when things don't go smoothly, DPS is the hardest to maximize and do correctly, especially melee dps this xpac.

There is a lack of tanks because there are very limited spots in a raid for them. A 20 man raid needs only 2 tanks, but 13 dps and 5 healers. You're much more likely to lock down a regular raid spot if you roll dps or heals. That's the exact reason I abandoned tanking this expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of tanks also has to do with not wanting to deal with a bunch of impatient mouthbreathing dps whose only concern is meters.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Lack of tanks also has to do with not wanting to deal with a bunch of impatient mouthbreathing dps whose only concern is meters.
    DPS' concern with meters stems from the fact they're exclusively judged by the meters now days, especially in pugs. Doesn't matter if you're running debuffs out of the group, interrupting/stunning or avoid standing in shit because the tank can't re-position the boss. At the end of the day the only thing that is considered is raw DPS.

7+ Year Old Account
    What ae you people talking about??? Shamans can and always could tank.......not well and they get one shotted i have tanked many mob in Legion.......Jokes aside, During Classic and BC Enhance still had tanking talents, they never got refined when Blizz starting fixing specs just before BC.....although Enhance still had majority of the old Tanking talents till the start of Wrath and then they where changed from STR based mail wearers to Agi based Mail wearers and talents got changed......We are shaman the red headed step children of WOW.

Lorewise t does make sense i mean heck Thrall is the sodding Earthwarder for hell sake, it would not be a huge stretch to have shamans trained directly by him in the concept of the earthen based powers more so than the other elements. Possible YES but Probable NO. The thing is this Druids where given a 4th spec to flesh out there dps and tanking specs........Elemental has never been able to truely tank properly since Classic and it wasnt even high end tanking then.

Something i have read time and time again n these forums and it is beginning to urk me: 'LB on the move threads', 'Shaman Tank threads' and 'Kill the mage class threads' Kay i made the last one up but it could be a thing :P

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account

Tanking is definitely not a shit load more work than DPSing, and definitely not more than healing. Tanking is the easiest role by far. People flock to DPS specs because your work is more tangible and people love hitting stuff and seeing numbers, not because its easier.
    Last edited by Hareem; 2016-11-24 at 10:46 AM.

only if their weapon is a huge 2h and it procs a proper windfury.

Saying tanking is the easiest role is either coming from someone who's a natural at tanking or someone facerolling mechanics eating healer mana like crazy...

Man, I'm just pictureing a 2hand Mace Ork tank shaman with windfury + firenova and some nice totems. Would play it all day.