Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RIFT: even casuals have already cleared all content, BiS gear (Day #10)

So, we are like on day #10 of the expansion (it was delayed and servers had a rocky start) and people are going like: "All content cleared"
    BiS gear obtained.

Even if you're a casual player, you could now have cleared ALL content and have BiS gear.
    (I'd have BiS gear, but one of the dungeons is still disabled and cleric loot-tables appear bugged)

There is simply not enough to do. Many people have cleared every quest - it's the best (only real) way to level.
    No new PvP content.

Current endgame? TWO new dungeons. One upscale. One currently disabled due to bugs.

64 bit was a marketing thing for the expansion: it's still unstable.
    Some features like "Sieges" still not implemented - no ETA.
    10 man RAID - no ETA
    LFR - no ETA
    Legendary Class/Soul Abilities? some are still broken, unbalanced.
    Extra Zone marketed for expansion? Still missing. No ETA

All that's left? RNG planar fragment grind in a thing called "planar assault adventures" and rep grind. That is it.

Gear balance? None?
    Basic crafted gear has 200 hit - that you learn to craft (full set is 1600) and 250 hit crafted gear that you have to buy with tokens (2000 hit)
    You would expect you need 1600 hit to do experts?
    No. You need 2000
    What drops from experts? 250 hit gear.
    So, you need 2000 hit to get 2000 hit max?

We are, what? 1~3 months away from having features we were told to be included in the expansion?

It's finally sinking in on the forums:
    Trion? You there
    what we were sold and what we are actually playing
    Broken Endgame
    IA's still broken
    Is the 64 bit client a broken dream?
    Temple of Ananke - Closed for repairs
    IA boxes broken or is it FML RNG?

From the Starfall Prophecy Page: Claim the Power of Ahnket
    Increased Level Cap: 70
    Legendary Powers - broken
    New Zones - missing 1
    New Dungeons - buggy, one currently disabled (so, 1 new, 1 upscale) - "this" is endgame.
    New Raid - missing
    Planar Assault Adventures - kill rift, kill mobs, kill boss (like 3 things for Life/Fire), repeat.
    Fortress Sieges - missing
    Looking for Raid - missing
    Individual Reward System - buggy?
    Active Upgrades
    Eternal Item Rarity - missing?
    Planar Fragments - dumbest, most poor implementation of RNG gear gate ever.
    AND MORE (O RLY?)

It is a shame as they were once the king of content deliver in quantity, speed, and quality. Hope they pull their shit together because I'd like to see good competition in the market and companies deliver to the loyal fans. I wish I had time for all the moms I've played as I do miss these worlds, but when you hear stuff like this it makes it a tough sell to try them with a limited time budget and knowing they are asking for money for things they can't seem to deliver on.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Honestly I would just rather them make Rift 2.

I used to think the game didn't age that well visually but I logged on again the other day and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but the game has died off A LOT since the base game launch. I think fundamentally they have an understanding of how to make a very good game, but I think certain things hold it back in this day & age.

Which is why if they were to make a Rift 2 it would be very interesting to see what they would come up with, what they would change, etc. I for one, for love to play Rift 2.

Rift started heading rapidly downhill quite a while ago. I used to love the game but I implore you not to waste your time or money on such a consumer-unfriendly game

Man, Wocky i remember watching your Rift videos when i was super into Storm Legion so i know you have a lot invested in the game but you really seem to be putting yourself through some crap here thats just not worth it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Man, Wocky i remember watching your Rift videos when i was super into Storm Legion so i know you have a lot invested in the game but you really seem to be putting yourself through some crap here thats just not worth it
    Oh, I'm playing 3 other things mostly, but mostly bound to the game due to guilds I am attached to on RIFT.

They're all a good bunch, so IF they ever leave for another game, I'd follow.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-11-29 at 03:10 PM.

Deleted
    I haven't thought about Rift for a while and thought I would check out this forum.
    Then I remember, they would add paid expansions.
    You know, I thought it would have been a great idea rather than push those aweful restrictions on f2p-players.
    But hey, they did both
    Anyway, seems like the expansion perhaps might not be the revival of the game, I haven't even seen any advertising of it rather than some news somewhere a while ago about Rift adding paid expansions :P

Honestly, can't say I'm remotely surprised at how much of a shitshow this expansion has been. It's been painfully obvious that the current Rift team is short staffed and lacking in experience for a while now, and this expansion is a fucking spotlight on that fact. The marketing around this expansion was also painfully transparent as well, it was obvious that this was being rushed out on an extremely short timetable (likely to make the end of their fiscal year for investors) and was both utterly lacking in content and likely going to be dramatically lacking in the polish that they were hyping up to justify the "premium" price.

It's a bloody shame to see what's been happening to Rift and SWTOR with their respective expansions, and WildStar with its ongoing decline. All three are dangerously close from being uninstalled from my computer altogether with the way things are being handled by their respective devs.

Edit: I'll say though, the new login screen looks way better than the NT one. So at least there's that!
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-11-27 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, can't say I'm remotely surprised at how much of a shitshow this expansion has been. It's been painfully obvious that the current Rift team is short staffed and lacking in experience for a while now, and this expansion is a fucking spotlight on that fact. The marketing around this expansion was also painfully transparent as well, it was obvious that this was being rushed out on an extremely short timetable (likely to make the end of their fiscal year for investors) and was both utterly lacking in content and likely going to be dramatically lacking in the polish that they were hyping up to justify the "premium" price.

It's a bloody shame to see what's been happening to Rift and SWTOR with their respective expansions, and WildStar with its ongoing decline. All three are dangerously close from being uninstalled from my computer altogether with the way things are being handled by their respective devs.

Edit: I'll say though, the new login screen looks way better than the NT one. So at least there's that!
    What gets me and will always be a personal gripe is why the Beta was never used to work on features that were broken/disabled at launch? Seriously why?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    Honestly I would just rather them make Rift 2.

I used to think the game didn't age that well visually but I logged on again the other day and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but the game has died off A LOT since the base game launch. I think fundamentally they have an understanding of how to make a very good game, but I think certain things hold it back in this day & age.

Which is why if they were to make a Rift 2 it would be very interesting to see what they would come up with, what they would change, etc. I for one, for love to play Rift 2.
    I honestly don't think they have the money for it. And to be honest it wouldn't stop them from doing what they did to Rift with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Oh, I'm playing 3 other things mostly, but still a guild here on RIFT EU - waiting to see what game they all move to in 4 weeks or so.

They're a good bunch, so when the leave, I'm going to follow.

Not going to take long for them to leave.
    Dude hit me up with a PM if you go to another F2P. I'm really struggling to find a decent one these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    What gets me and will always be a personal gripe is why the Beta was never used to work on features that were broken/disabled at launch? Seriously why?
    Because like most beta's, it was largely a marketing beta. Yeah, they still get tons of data and bug reports from it, but its primary purpose overwhelmingly seemed to be for marketing.

The fact that they did a broad beta in such a rough shape so close to launch should speak volumes about their intent. They were clearly not ready for broad beta testing but were rushing it out to make the launch date, likely for their fiscal year.

Dude hit me up with a PM if you go to another F2P. I'm really struggling to find a decent one these days.
    Depends on what you're looking for. There are plenty of solid F2P games out on the market, I've got around 20ish installed on my computer that I dip in and out of from time to time. They've all got their problems, but most are still pretty solid.

10+ Year Old Account

Quite frankly, I'm mostly done with F2P.

All of the MMORPG games I am playing are B2P with a non-P2W cash-shop. Currently bought three new ones.
    Two of them are sub-based. One is required to play. One unlocks all content if you sub.

Two are casual.

One is PvE themepark. You can guess the last one pretty easily as I'm posting on MMOchamp.

All three probably have a minimum of a million players.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-11-27 at 07:06 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly don't think they have the money for it. And to be honest it wouldn't stop them from doing what they did to Rift with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Decent ones :

Wildstar
    Gw2 (up until HoT)

huh...welp unless you count crappy asian ones... there arent any
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

What the hell is going on with Trion? They've made bad decision after bad decision since mid-SL. Is it the higher ups coming down on the team and pushing these bad decisions on them? Is the dev team just grossly incompetent? I genuinely don't understand what is going on. What I do know is that I refuse to give this company money until they pull their act together. I don't care if they have less money and just can't make content at the rate they use to, a smaller team is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    What the hell is going on with Trion? They've made bad decision after bad decision since mid-SL. Is it the higher ups coming down on the team and pushing these bad decisions on them? Is the dev team just grossly incompetent? I genuinely don't understand what is going on. What I do know is that I refuse to give this company money until they pull their act together. I don't care if they have less money and just can't make content at the rate they use to, a smaller team is fine.
    Like I said in my critic thread. Community is probably a factor as well. They don't really allow criticism so listen to people who say the game is fine yet it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Decent ones :

Wildstar
    Gw2 (up until HoT)

huh...welp unless you count crappy asian ones... there arent any
    Honestly Guild Wars 2 has done such a turn around since the start of HoT. It knew where it went wrong and picked itself back up. Also I already play it. It's my second MMO to FF14.

Like I said in my critic thread. Community is probably a factor as well. They don't really allow criticism so listen to people who say the game is fine yet it isn't.
    Honestly, Starfall would be fine in my honest opinion had it launched with

4 new zones. Check
    2 new dungeons. 1/2 check
    Planar assaults. 1/2 check
    Fortress sieges. No check
    ETA on the raid. No check

So maybe when 4.1 rolls around, because I dont mind the price so as long as everything is working.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Honestly, Starfall would be fine in my honest opinion had it launched with

4 new zones. Check
    2 new dungeons. 1/2 check
    Planar assaults. 1/2 check
    Fortress sieges. No check
    ETA on the raid. No check

So maybe when 4.1 rolls around, because I dont mind the price so as long as everything is working.
    I honestly don't see them climbing back out of this hole. I mean I want them to but at this point they have dug and drilled far to deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Honestly, I don't think they've ever quite recovered as a company after their financial crisis around the time Defiance launched and tanked. Between them publishing low effort schlock like Devilian to their abandoned End of Nations, it seems like they've been on their back foot for the better part of 3 years now. It took a bit longer to hit Rift in particular, but it's finally come full force after a lackluster expansion (Nightmare Tide) and a hell of a lot of very unpopular monetization decisions that came as a result of the initial dip in quality causing players to leave/stop spending money.

Really, their only real success story as of late seems to be Trove. ArcheAge seems to be generating money, but it's community is one of the worst I've encountered and it's a nonstop controversy generating machine with other issues. Devilian...well, it was a think and it still exists I guess, but that's probably the best that can be said for it. Atlas Reactor had a clearly troubled development, starting as F2P, transitioning to B2P when that was the new hotness for a minute, and then back to F2P. The game is now chugging along with sub 1k concurrency numbers on Steam, so the best hope is that they're getting most of their logins from the native Glyph client. Either way, despite it looking like a genuinely interesting take on turn based combat games, it doesn't seem like it's off to a great start. And I'd put a large amount of money on that being due to the general MMO community having such a terrible opinion of Trion as a company, and they're the evangelists that go and stream, create videos for, and spread the word of games.

As Eleccybubb mentioned, the community doesn't do them many favors either. Their forums are such a circlejerk of fanboys with how aggressively they ban people who post criticism that it's not even worth it for those of us with criticisms to post there. Between being drowned out by, "IT'S FINE, GAME IS PERFECT, STOP BEING A HATER!" and the hassle of needing to contact CM's to get you unbanned each time one of their mods decides that a forum post that breaks no rules but is critical of Trion/Rift is deserving of a permaban, it's flat out not worth the effort anymore. It's sad, because a lot of the games that are struggling and in need of more players and a boost (Rift, WildStar, SWTOR etc.) all seem to have communities that are so overtly hostile to criticism and turn off so many new players : /

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As Eleccybubb mentioned, the community doesn't do them many favors either. Their forums are such a circlejerk of fanboys with how aggressively they ban people who post criticism that it's not even worth it for those of us with criticisms to post there. Between being drowned out by, "IT'S FINE, GAME IS PERFECT, STOP BEING A HATER!" and the hassle of needing to contact CM's to get you unbanned each time one of their mods decides that a forum post that breaks no rules but is critical of Trion/Rift is deserving of a permaban, it's flat out not worth the effort anymore. It's sad, because a lot of the games that are struggling and in need of more players and a boost (Rift, WildStar, SWTOR etc.) all seem to have communities that are so overtly hostile to criticism and turn off so many new players : /
    It's just a major gripe for me that pisses me off with any MMO. A community like Rifts harms the game more than it does any good. I honestly think it will be one of the major factors if the game gets shutdown. Honestly one thing the game needs is an entire rework of moderation staff and the forums and start actually accepting criticism.

Off topic. Thanks for the list Edge . Gonna give Blade and Soul a try.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-27 at 08:05 PM.

This the issue I have with game companies who label updates as "expansions" when they have hardly anything worthy of that label. 2 new zones alone isn't worthy of putting the "expansion" label on it, a dungeon or two isn't worthy of the expansion label, some new powers isn't worthy of the expansion label. Its just their way of squeezing out any sort of money that they can. Its one of the things that pissed me off with EQ2. They'd have hardly anything with maybe 1 new zone in what was called an "expansion" and put a price tag on it.

Expansions should be just that, something that's expansive in a large way. Seems Trion is going the EQ2 route and that's disappointing. That's them on their last leg. Even worse is Trions store has insanely high prices for stuff so its a double fuck you to the community. That's sad, Trion used to be a somewhat decent company who has gone the route of only becoming worse.
    Last edited by Extremities; 2016-11-27 at 08:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the weirdest cash-grabby P2W'ish things added:

"Did you like that dungeon boss? then give us money!"

Dungeon Charges allow multiple loot roles - for credits.