Deleted

The percentage of people divorcing in the Netherlands skyrocketed in the last decades

Where in 1971 the percentage of marriages that ended in divorce in the Netherlands was 12%, the number of marriages ending in 2015 was almost 40%!

Source (Dutch) https://www.cbs.nl/nl-nl/nieuws/2016...ijd-uit-elkaar

How is this in your country? Will you still get married?

I might still, although I don't care for it much (would do it if it makes my girlfriend happy). I would however have a waterproof prenuptial agreement before I would since the odds are stacking higher and higher against the person that brings in the money.

Deleted
    What is the general issue?

Something seems to be way off(either cultural or society).

Edit: Christ. It's even worse in DK with 48,70(2015).

Good, I keep away from danes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a combination of being able to take care of oneself after a divorce a lot better (so it's easier to contemplate about and handle a divorce) and the devaluation of marriage. Marriage used to be some affidavit, like swearing to the world you two are now together forever. Nowadays it starts to become more and more 'just another ritual', something that is done quickly 'just because'.

Deleted
    i will marry the gf and she "will submit to my absolute authority!"
    Last edited by mmoc96b81ade63; 2016-12-02 at 11:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter
    How is this in your country? Will you still get married?
    I'm a long term expat, so allow me to take liberties with this question and answer by where I live.

Divorce is becoming more common in China. That's hardly surprising given the pressure to marry as an alliance of families. Women. for example, are expected to marry by 30 to avoid embarrassment to their family (think "40 million too many men and she still can't get one?") while bringing in as much bride price as possible. This has also led to situations where men from well placed families marry to meet family expectations, despite being gay. Doh! Who would have guessed that such marriages don't always work?

Would I marry?

There is a great deal of pressure here to do so, and while romance is an ideal, the practicality is that it is also an alliance of interests. The 20-somethings have a bit more latitude, but at my age talking to women tends to turn into speed dating (even when I'm not interested). "Hi, my name is Angel, I'm 28, you're nice, I like you, let's get married." That could be annoying, but I've found that there are a lot of very nice women out there who don't tick off enough boxes on the Chinese guys' short list. Many of the things that are important to guys here are, however, things I don't care about, things like how white her skin is, whether she is taller than 165 cm, whether she is 31 instead of 28, and so on.

So, here I am, engaged to one of the "rejects". Drat! She is over 30, she didn't go to a famous university (worse, she went to martial arts schools and a guy who tried to knock her around might lose teeth), and she is doing alright as a small business owner. I don't regret it or question my choice. We have fun together, we're ready to get out of the meat market that dating here tends to be, we think we've made the right choice and we expect to be together for years to come. I'm not worried about a prenup, we're both bringing enough assets in at the beginning of the marriage to be on an even basis and she's actually risking more in the long term.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2016-12-02 at 01:01 PM. Reason: attribution
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.