Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Men Are Pigs In MTV's New Short Film 'Love Reset'

Men Are Pigs In MTV's New Short Film 'Love Reset'

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain.../#23cf43b4709c

In the opening moments of MTV's new short film Love Reset, a young man picks up (quite literally) a prostitute in a video game that looks about fifteen years old. The game, I mean, not the prostitute.

Anyways, he does this with a grin, and the girl sitting next to him gives him a dirty look. Men are pigs, you see, and video games only make this worse. In fact, according to the short film, it makes men treat women like commodities, or video game achievements.

"Love Reset is a short film about media representation and modern romance and a winner of MTV's Look Different Creator Competition," reads the video's description. "It explores what happens to love when others learn to view us, and we learn to see ourselves, through an extremely narrow lens."

Okay then. So what happens next, after the young man plays his terrible, sexist video game? Does he kill some people?

No, don't be silly!

Turns out, he leaves and goes out for a walk.

Along the way he scores points for tagging various things with his phone. It's kind of like Pokémon GO. You go out for a walk but instead of capturing and training adorable little monsters, you score points for snapping shots of hot blonds, or "getting physical" with girls.

You get more points for white people than brown people in this fictional game. An Asian chick is apparently worth no points at all (illustrating just how savvy the filmmakers were when it comes to gaming culture) while an Indian chick is worth 10.

The hot blond is worth more, but especially since the dude got a "creepshot" of her which is worth 50 points plus a positive message from somebody named Damien who says "Nice pic, bro!" because this is how men are in the real world.

A "bro" is worth 15 points, by the way, which is more than brown-skinned women apparently. But "staring at a dude" subtracts 200.

See, video games make men sexist, racist and homophobic. It's true.

Later on, the guy scores some points for bringing a girl home, but then she gets mad at him for...uh...I guess for kissing her neck while they're in bed together half-naked. She leaves and he gets mad, of course, because he's a man.

But at least he scores points for being aggressive and "acting like a man" in bed. (Seriously, is kissing a girl's neck when you're already in bed together frowned upon now? I can't keep up. Is it "aggressive?")

When the girl goes out in the second half of the video, she's unencumbered by video games. She doesn't walk around scoring points because she's treated like a real human and not a stereotype. It's okay to stereotype the young white male, of course, especially because he was playing video games.

Naturally all the men the female character meets are terrible, too. A date with a bit too much drinking ends in a fight, though we don't know why. Life is pain.

All we need to know is that men are pigs. And video games are one reason why.

Here's the video from MTV. You know, the channel that's popularized music videos of men treating women like sex objects. That bastion of feminism and progress.

Don't say I didn't warn you:

P.S. Some men really are pigs, no doubt about it. Some men really do treat women like commodities. Some men are terribly sexist.

But I'm not sure films like this are very helpful in understanding why this is, or what should be done about it. Films like this just truck in negative stereotypes and further divide us. There are men like this in the real world, but they're not the average guy. Once again, this is the stuff of cheap stereotypes. It's not clever.

10+ Year Old Account
    MTV is Lifetime for teenage girls.

Deleted
    It's the current trend, imprinted in the millennial mind: all (white) men are evil.

People still care about MTV? News to me.

what happened to MTV? for those of us growing up in the 90's it was all the rage back then.

This is like the definition of a pointless thread. Yes a shitty movie has been awarded, everyone get mad, be outraged.

MTV needs to die already, or change the name ffs.. It hasn't been music television for like 24 plus years..
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

If all men are pigs how do muslim woman produce children? There needs to be a halal version of men for this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Artaxerxes View Post
    what happened to MTV? for those of us growing up in the 90's it was all the rage back then.
    you mean when mtv actually had music on it? do they even play music anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    MTV is Lifetime for teenage girls.
    When did teenage girls become so racist and sexist?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    you mean when mtv actually had music on it? do they even play music anymore?
    It's funny how it's basically serving as a political propaganda outlet now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You, yourself, admit some men are like this. We all know people can be, so whats wrong with a short movie that shows it? I don't believe in censoring certain subjects, especially ones that are true, just because someone doesn't like it.
    It's easy to cancel out this nonsense.

Many men love and are loyal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artaxerxes View Post
    Viacom saw that the young girl market was massive and lucrative and changed their entire programming focus to capture that demographic.

Deleted
    You, yourself, admit some men are like this. We all know people can be, so whats wrong with a short movie that shows it? I don't believe in censoring certain subjects, especially ones that are true, just because someone doesn't like it.
    I doubt it's because people are outraged just because some men are like this. They are, because it is okey to shit on men but if it was reversed there would be an outcry of epic proportions.

Do I care? Not really. Just wanted to clear that one up.

Deleted
    I see nothing wrong with this video.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It's the current trend, imprinted in the millennial mind: all (white) men are evil.
    Very true if you are a Caucasian male you are very evil, but if you are a male from any other ethnicity then you can do no wrong and are considered good even though they can be just as evil as Caucasian males..

Deleted
    I'm sure there's movies out there like this, which also wouldn't represent all men. A movie doesn't have to be accurate to be entertaining and allowed.
    Winter, the disloyal ones are a minority. They lie their way into a woman's heart and are perfect in every way imaginable.

Isn't it a woman's fault for falling for them?

Deleted
    How is this relevant to what I said? I was discussing not censoring movies because of people's feelings.
    It's relevant because this somehow resonates with you, otherwise you wouldn't post here. It's called projection.

Hey Winter, a real man is like a wolf. He either spends his time alone or with the same female wolf.

i don't have a problem with videos like this, but the problem is that it's too one sided now days.

point out the mindless vapid sluts and the meatheads they use as fleshy sexy toys too. point out the bad on both ends, because as a girl, let me fucking tell you right now, there's hell of a lot of bad on our end too.

actually, MTV is the type of shit to celebrate being a mindless vapid slut, so i can see why they aren't pointing it out.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2016-12-02 at 12:28 PM.

MTV still exists, who knew....

My first job there were 4 woman that came in early (I worked third) and to hear some of their talk wooow, so ya if anyone thinks it's men only they are morons.

Deleted
    You're free to your opinions...
    That's right: I am.

"Men are pigs" is a general statement.

Maybe you agree though?