10+ Year Old Account

"I wonder what their cuisine is like"

Consider world maps, and the distortion of size from Mercator projection. We probably grew up looking at one of those maps in our classrooms and we have a general sense of the shape of things, but perhaps not a good sense of scale.

In much the same way, we can watch programs about exotic food in distant places, but I wonder if such shows distort our perceptions just as much as the Mercator projection. As a case in point, many of you have some idea of what food in China is like, but do you imagine people in China walking around and munching on ears of corn or baked sweet potatoes? Perhaps not, but both are common street food in this part of China.

I like to try different kinds of food, and I caught myself wondering about other places. I wonder how inaccurate my comfortable assumptions about the world's cuisines might be. We've got people from all over, or who have at least traveled a bit.

What are some things that are worth mentioning about food as it is eaten in other places?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

If you ever travel to Colombia in winter (summer) and visit the region of Santander you can try fried ants. They are a bit spicy, but overall they test good. Another small detail, although Pisco is officially recognised as a Peruvian product, the Chilean versions is better. And finally if you ever go to either Ecuador, Peru and/or Bolivia you can eat Llama,Alpacas and frogs, however natives don't eat them frequently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow
    And finally if you ever go to either Ecuador, Peru and/or Bolivia you can eat Llama,Alpacas and frogs, however natives don't eat them frequently.
    Unusual food is always fun, but I was wondering more about the things that are commonplace but overlooked outside their home area -- like young women on the Beijing subway munching away on an ear of boiled corn. Here is one that I came across tonight:

Source: http://www.idealmagazine.co.uk/durban-bunny-chow/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.