Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think a discussion of whether the USA should even be trying to solve the problems of global poverty would be a worthwhile starting point.
    We help contribute to curbing it, and I think it's worthwhile for people who want to contribute (aka charity), as well as disaster relief assistance, but beyond that I don't think federal aid is warranted save in very special circumstances.

I can't say I've seen anyone on "the left" argue that mass immigration is the solution to world poverty. This is the only guy I've seen on any talks or speeches who even claims this is a thing. Yeah, we're not going to make a single dent in world poverty by letting lots of people in. He's arguing against a strawman, something easily knocked over because... everyone knows it's true.

The thing is, we're willing to take in people who are WILLING TO WORK HARD to make a better life for themselves.

"We take in one million immigrants a year, that's nothing compared to LOOK AT ALL THESE GUMBALLS".

The point is that those 1 million people are leading better lives than they were, not because we're solving world poverty. He's pointing to the massive number of gumballs who get nothing out of the deal, meanwhile trying to say that 1 million people a year having better lives because they want to work is "nothing" because LOOK AT THESE GUMBALLS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Well he just did, so you are wrong.
    You can't even answer the question of who "some people" are in the statement "some people say that immigration can end world poverty". Sad.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    That would be the preferable thing, but it seems like the thing almost nobody wants to do.

Consumer economies are widely chastised for their ill effects, why people seem so eager to keep them going is beyond me.
    Because they provide a massive net benefit to the vast majority of people involved, and there has been no better alternative model yet devised.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    There might be some specific issues in the USA, but generally for the first world countries the case is that factories leave them because the workers are cheaper in Mexico, and similar countries - even if the workers are less productive.
    Yeah there wages drop, but usually that's a better outcome than flat out loosing their job. Those that can be retrained will be and those that can't can be more productive in the designated area and can on the long run wages could average. Granted this is all theoretical.

Kenan 2012 explores the idea more.
    http://www.nber.org/papers/w18307

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay to be fair, he made an argument with gumballs. It was still a horrible argument. The fact that he used "real data" is besides the point because he conclusions are ridiculous.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think a discussion of whether the USA should even be trying to solve the problems of global poverty would be a worthwhile starting point.
    Given that more developed states are generally less belligerent, it's useful from an international security standpoint to try and end poverty. Or at least mitigate it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marty096 View Post
    Well the general argument I hear for amnesty and open borders is that these people are "just looking for a better life."

Why are our current immigrants on welfare at higher rates than the native population if the goal is not compassion?
    The tired argument to that is "you are wrong because illegals don't qualify for welfare." Luckily I do my research and have found out that the illegal birthrate is nearly twice that of native Americans. Illegals are coming into our country, taking jobs, lowering wages, and having a ton of kids on American soil so they can use them to gain welfare.

Even if Immigration is a panacea for all economic woes and literally the BEST THING EVER! Its a short term solution to the crisis' since as has been noted by demographers, global fertility is plummeting. Even if Immigrants came with no social costs, no problems, or if we were all a nation of Tennisballs married to body pillows of Justin Trudeau, there is still the long term problem of WHERE you get immigrants as fewer and fewer countries have the surplus people for export.

Eventually we will be hoovering up populations from the most marginal, most remote, and likely must incapable of functioning in the modern world people. Soon only the inhabitants of North Sentinel Island will be left.

What then?
    The idea is not to import immigrants but to allow labour to move between each country.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    We help contribute to curbing it, and I think it's worthwhile for people who want to contribute (aka charity), as well as disaster relief assistance, but beyond that I don't think federal aid is warranted save in very special circumstances.
    I agree with this position. Americans (meaning individuals and organizations) should engage in charitable enterprises as well as commerce both as a means to improve lives abroad and as part of normal behavior. The United States (meaning the federal government) should help in circumstances where American resources are genuinely called for because it's the only feasible way to handle a situation (I'm thinking of situations where the Navy becomes relevant).
    I can't say I've seen anyone on "the left" argue that mass immigration is the solution to world poverty.
    This is mostly a libertarian argument, I think. In the USA, libertarians are mostly rightish on the political spectrum (or at least ally accordingly), so yeah, it's pretty silly to target "the left" for this argument.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Because they provide a massive net benefit to the vast majority of people involved, and there has been no better alternative model yet devised.
    When you can see yourself on the road to ruin, doesn't it at least give one cause to slow the fuck down before they go off the cliff? Why put the pedal to the medal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Okay to be fair, he made an argument with gumballs. It was still a horrible argument. The fact that he used "real data" is besides the point because he conclusions are ridiculous.
    So much denialism.

I mean it's horribly biased and very one sided.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of like finding out there's a natural disaster going on, threatening millions of people, and saying "eh, we can't save them all, just hundreds, so why even bother with those hundreds of people?"

It's an argument that lacks any sense of empathy or compassion whatsoever, by ignoring the gains to those you DO help.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    The idea is not to import immigrants but to allow labour to move between each country.
    Which will necessitate either a World State since no country can exist like that as a sovereign country.

But even if it IS as you say, the main reason for imports seems to be shortfalls or a desire to "GROW FOREVER!" what do we do as the human population stops growing or even contracts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    So much denialism.
    Hmmmm....well considering the USA isn't trying to do anything this guy claims it is, I guess I am denying his claims.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

No he didn't simplify anything. He took a complex issue, made up a dog shit argument he felt he could beat, and then took a giant idiot level shit in video form and now you're gobbling it up like it's your favorite food.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's kind of like finding out there's a natural disaster going on, threatening millions of people, and saying "eh, we can't save them all, just hundreds, so why even bother with those hundreds of people?"

It's an argument that lacks any sense of empathy or compassion whatsoever, by ignoring the gains to those you DO help.
    "...and we should build a wall to keep those hundreds out if they manage to save themselves and come take errr jerbs"
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

15+ Year Old Account
    When you can see yourself on the road to ruin, doesn't it at least give one cause to slow the fuck down before they go off the cliff? Why put the pedal to the medal?
    This is assuming that at the end of the road lies ruin, when one hasn't even seen the final destination.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    This is assuming that at the end of the road lies ruin, when one hasn't even seen the final destination.
    To be fair the road Theo mentions tends to only have one ending because any other road we take to avoid ruin as a whole is met with people screaming that we're heading towards Communism.

15+ Year Old Account
    So much denialism.
    We're still waiting for you to answer who "some people" are in "some people argue that immigration is the ultimate solution to ending world poverty".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    To be fair the road Theo mentions tends to only have one ending because any other road we take to avoid ruin as a whole is met with people screaming that we're heading towards Communism.
    True enough...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Except for everyone single one we invite to our country it takes up that much more in resources for actual Americans.