Page 1 of 118
... LastLast

Ohio passes 'heartbeat' abortion bill

(CNN)Donald Trump's election, and a presumption that he'll appoint conservative Supreme Court justices, spurred Ohio Republicans to pass what would effectively be the nation's strictest time-based abortion law, a legislator said.

Ohio lawmakers on Tuesday passed a controversial "Heartbeat Bill" that would ban abortions in that state from the moment the heartbeat of a fetus can be detected -- which usually occurs about six weeks into a pregnancy.
    What happens next for the bill, which would prohibit such abortions even in cases of rape or incest, depends on Republican Gov. John Kasich, who has 10 days to decide whether to veto the legislation.
    State legislators had considered the bill in previous years but it never passed the Senate.
    So what made the legislature's Republican majority move now?
    "One, a new President, new Supreme Court justice appointees change the dynamic, and that there was a consensus in our caucus to move forward," Ohio Senate President Keith Faber, a Republican from Celina, told reporters after the final vote.
    Asked if he thought the bill would survive a legal challenge, he said: "I think it has a better chance than it did before."
    If Kasich signs the bill, or if he does nothing within 10 days, the measure would become law early next year. A veto would stop the bill unless three-fifths of the state House and Senate vote for an override.
    Should the bill become law, a court battle likely would ensue. The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio already has said it would press a legal challenge.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/07/politi...ill/index.html
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    'Abortion won't get repealed under Trump'.

Well hey, it's gonna be poor people in Ohio that pay the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Six weeks.

Republicans have made it clear that they don't give a fuck about women.

Their presidential candidate on tape in his 50s bragging about sexually assaulting young girls and women, bragging about how he would fuck his own daughter if he could, forced to settle out of court after beating and raping his first wife. Kasich gleefully talking about how he would force young girls to carry the products of incest and rape to term. Now forcing any girl or woman who needs a simple medical procedure done into back alleys and dark web pharmacies.

This is the shit I was talking about when I said the GOP public platform would cause mass harm to US citizens. Sadly, it's also just the beginning.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    It should include the option to have an abortion later if it was rape or incest (ugh).

But if it was consentful, yeah no need to kill your baby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty horrible if you ask me. Hopefully this gets vetoed. If I was a woman in that state, id be blowing up the phone lines.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Can't you basically get all the way to the six week limit while reasonably unaware that you're even pregnant if you aren't expecting it?
    Pretty much.

Then again, when have Republicans ever given a shit about women.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    It should include the option to have an abortion later if it was rape or incest (ugh).
    Something something "all life is sacred!" something something *ignores the fact that the official GOP platform supports the death penalty* something something.

Because what is hypocrisy?

I generally liked Kasich as a candidate given he was the only sane Republican running for the office later on during the primaries, but his positions on social issues is very in-line with the GOP's official party platform being straight out of the 1950's, and it's something I've strongly disagreed with him on throughout.

7+ Year Old Account
    You know you're country as a broken judiciary systeme when a change of POTUS (exectuive) means that it will deply change the vision of the judiciary on such a question as abortion right...

Judiciary power should be independent from political view witch insanly far from what is happening in the U.S. A quote such as '' One, a new President, new Supreme Court justice appointees change the dynamic, and that there was a consensus in our caucus to move forward'' shows that executive, legislative and judiciary systeme are no longer separeted power in the U.S.A and it is very sad.

10+ Year Old Account

But if it was consentful, yeah no need to kill your baby.
    There are plenty of reasons, none of which are your or my business. It is up to the adult carrying the fetus.

10+ Year Old Account
    6 weeks? Quite a few women wont even know they;re pregnant until around that time (given that it can take 4 weeks to notice a missed period, and people that naturally have spotty / missed periods can take a few more weeks before preg symptoms start)

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't you basically get all the way to the six week limit while reasonably unaware that you're even pregnant if you aren't expecting it?
    Yes. You may not have a clue until it is 6 weeks or later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans showing they can be just as regressive as the far-left. Looks like you're all crazy in the end.

Good job, guys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    There are plenty of reasons, none of which are your or my business. It is up to the adult carrying the fetus.
    Not my problem, I'd rather not have my tax money spent on destroying life.

Unless rape or incest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    6 weeks? Quite a few women wont even know they;re pregnant until around that time (given that it can take 4 weeks to notice a missed period, and people that naturally have spotty / missed periods can take a few more weeks before preg symptoms start)
    I honestly feel like they chose 6 weeks specifically for this reason. Basically as a "ha! Too late now slut! " sort of jab.

Pretty disgusting imo.

10+ Year Old Account

Unless rape or incest.
    but it could possibly be my problem, and thus I should have a say.

GOP lost the popular vote by 2 million and thinks they still have a mandate to push the country back by decades. They are in for a rude awakening now that the left sees what they have to lose. I predict a huge change in the legislature in 2 years, when dems actually get out to vote in the mid terms for once, and Trump to be the first 1 term president in my lifetime, if he doesnt resign in shame by then.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    but it could possibly be my problem, and thus I should have a say.
    Silly you, you have a vagina.

You don't get to decide what to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Unless rape or incest.
    by federal law, 0 tax money is allowed to be spent on abortions. very appropriate avatar you have, for someone so ill-informed.

That's exactly the point. To make it practically impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Unless rape or incest.
    I don't believe any federal funding used by Planned Parenthood is used for abortions anyways, for example. Last I remember reading, it was specifically not allowed to be used for that, only for other health care and preventative care/education purposes.

And I hope you're against the death penalty as well, just to be consistent.