Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Homeless people.

[B]I want to start this thread off by saying that it's completely sad that homelessness exists in 2016, but when you choose alcohol, drugs, prostitution or the economy hasn't worked in your favor, well...

Anyways, Why do homeless people try to pull the "I can't get a job because I don't have an address" card? Honestly, if I was homeless, or if YOU were homeless, write a fucking derelict address. It's a place of employment, they aren't going to check your "home".

It's very common for homeless people to say that can't get a job because they don't have a home, even though they can write an address of any home in their current city, why? Do they not want to work?

https://youtu.be/WUsJcPc8g0A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obho7uBg3-A
    https://youtu.be/FdBbR2UNAEo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8YImu5H1-0
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2016-12-12 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I want to start this thread off by saying that it's completely sad that homelessness exists in 2016, but when you choose drugs or alcohol over your rent, well...

Anyways, Why do homeless people try to pull the "I can't get a job because I don't have an address" card? Honestly, if I was homeless, or if YOU were homeless, write a fucking derelict address. It's a place of employment, they aren't going to check your "home".

It's very common for homeless people to say that can't get a job because they don't have a home, even though they can write an address of any home in their current city, why? Do they not want to work?

https://youtu.be/WUsJcPc8g0A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obho7uBg3-A
    https://youtu.be/FdBbR2UNAEo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8YImu5H1-0
    I think they mean access to a shower, place of respit after a hard day at work, access to fresh new clothes, dignity, or whatever. I can come up with whatever reasons I want, but I am not homeless and come from a well-off family so I can't even imagine what goes on in their heads.

If you see a homeless person, toss them a soccer ball

Because quite a few may have represented your country at the Homeless Soccer World Cup.

Its one of the perks of being homeless.. get to improve your football skills. represent your country & travel overseas.

The Homeless World Cup Foundation is thrilled to announce that Oslo, Norway has been awarded the 2017 tournament.

Taking place from August 29 until September 5, the tournament will be held at the iconic Rådhusplassen,
    The City Hall Square, between Oslo City Hall and Oslo Fjord. Oslo 2017 will mark the 15th edition of the Homeless World Cup.
    The 2016 tournament took place 10-16 July in Glasgow.

https://www.homelessworldcup.org/

Deleted
    having a mailing address is required for a lot of things. not the least of which is the paperwork a employer has to file with insurance companies, the local city, etc. as long as employers have to go through a hassle or get straight up penalized for those kind of things, yes you need an address to get a job.

if something happens and you lied about your residence guess whos gonna have to foot the bill (or worse face legal consequences).

people always say get a 24hour gym membership if your homeless, but the real good advice is get a PO box.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-12-12 at 10:34 AM.

Not all homeless people choose drugs or alcohol over there rent. Some just had a huge line of bullshit happen and couldn't recover from it.

Also yes a address and for most places internet matter a great deal in getting a job. This isn't 1970.....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I want to start this thread off by saying that it's completely sad that homelessness exists in 2016, but when you choose drugs or alcohol over your rent, well...
    So tired of the bullshit. If you even invested the minimum of effort into learning about the causes behind homelessness instead of just lapping up the bullshit myths you'd know that homelessness is intrinsically tied to mental illness.

Most homeless people suffer from various debilitating mental illnesses ranging from depressions, PTSD (especially in the case of veterans) all the way up to schizophrenia or worse.

Alcoholism or drug abuse are nearly never the cause but rather a symptom. If we actually gave a shit about the issue of homelessness, or we would want those people to stop being a burden on society and become productive members we would first and foremost get them off the streets and house them in a stable environment, and begin a rehabilitation process from there.

Such programs already exist, and they are exponentially cheaper and more successful than what we are doing now, but people reject it based on some illogical gut reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_First

Not to mention abused people.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't shelters provide showers?

Besides if I were homeless in my city I would use the free showers near the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazu View Post
    Not to mention abused people.
    And maybe wannabe big time soccer players who want to represent their country

https://www.homelessworldcup.org/

Yes because everyone who is, was and will ever be homeless is becasue they chose drugs or alcohol over rent. Must be nice living in your world. How many businesses in your area are actually willing to hire homeless people? Your links even give other reasons as to why people are homeless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Don't shelters provide showers?

Besides if I were homeless in my city I would use the free showers near the beach.
    you know not only homeless use public bath and shower ?

in paris there are hundreds of low income, working people using them just because they cant afford any better

but hey maybe they are just lazy cuz dindu nuffin, drugs, or no "hard work"

I'm pretty sure if you lived long enough out of the system, you don't know how to fake being part of it.

Where do you get your addresses to apply for a job?
    Where do you get the template for your letter?
    It's hard to get anything done today without using the internet.
    But let's assume you get some addresses. Will you buy a pencil and sit down at some parkbench to write an handwritten application? Who will even read this today? most applications are sorted out by things like "there is only 1 line break between name and signature"
    Also not everyone knows how to use a computer. My mum wouldn't be able to write and print an application on pc, how should some homeless person know?
    You need to know how to send a letter. Op, do you know without googling it where to put receiver on the envelope?

Even little things in life like sending an application include so many different things you don't even realize when you do them from your own home.

If you got the job there is so many things you need:
    You don't only need a address for your post.
    You need a bank account.
    You may need your social security number.

I think it's nearly impossible without help to get a job after sitting on the streets for 10 years. Saying "I don't even have a home" is just the first thing that comes to the mind when you are asked why you don't apply for a job.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Yes because everyone who is, was and will ever be homeless is becasue they chose drugs or alcohol over rent. Must be nice living in your world. How many businesses in your area are actually willing to hire homeless people? Your links even give other reasons as to why people are homeless.
    I worked for a corporate in Sydney a few years ago.
    I was in Sales. They hired this older gentlemen with a grey beard in his 60s

The older Gentlemen was a gun at Sales and became really popular
    We found out later he had ran a successful business, but was screwed over by his wife and ended up becoming homeless.
    The joke (if you call it ), was where did you find Aaron. The feedback was "in the gutter".

Aaron died after 5 years of Sales and everyone attended his funeral, and he left his mark at the business.

We honored him with a wall and Sales competition in his name.

Some people just want another chance.

McDonalds or Wal Mart will hire damn near anyone.

There are Speedway gas stations all over where I'm from, I frequent many of them and almost all of them have a sign that says "Help wanted" posted right on the front door.

Walk in to one of those type of places, with decent clothes and relatively clean and I bet you can get a job.

Homeless people can get a job, but they may have to start low. For a homeless veteran or someone who had a home and somehow lost it may have trouble stomaching that.

The American dream is living like a king, the American nightmare is having to accept that you aren't a king.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

If I was homeless, I would just use the change I begged for to get a gym membership. Gyms have showers and steam rooms. I would be clean, relaxed and fit.

One way to get off drugs is to stop hanging around your friends who are doing drugs, lots of people aren't willing to do that. By the time they are homeless they've alienated all their friends and family back in the real world and the only people they know now are druggies or dealers.

The bonds they form with their fellow druggies are pretty strong. You can drag a homeless person off the street, detox them, let them go and a day later they are back on the street.

These are alcoholics and heroin addicts for the most part.

Now the mentally ill, we should do something about them to get them off the street. Supreme Court has ruled that you can't treat the mentally ill against their will. If the mentally ill want to become street people, it's their right.

It's a much more complex issue than you'd think.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If you want to make money as a Homeless person.. Just follow sporting events around your country.
    Large crowds and people get drunk and are more inclined to give you a few $$

During the 2000 Sydney Olympics, some homeless people and buskers where making over $8,000 a week.

If I was in the USA, I would travel to NFL and baseball games and set up my sympathy stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you lived long enough out of the system, you don't know how to fake being part of it.

Where do you get your addresses to apply for a job?
    Where do you get the template for your letter?
    It's hard to get anything done today without using the internet.
    But let's assume you get some addresses. Will you buy a pencil and sit down at some parkbench to write an handwritten application? Who will even read this today? most applications are sorted out by things like "there is only 1 line break between name and signature"
    Also not everyone knows how to use a computer. My mum wouldn't be able to write and print an application on pc, how should some homeless person know?
    You need to know how to send a letter. Op, do you know without googling it where to put receiver on the envelope?

Even little things in life like sending an application include so many different things you don't even realize when you do them from your own home.

If you got the job there is so many things you need:
    You don't only need a address for your post.
    You need a bank account.
    You may need your social security number.

I think it's nearly impossible without help to get a job after sitting on the streets for 10 years. Saying "I don't even have a home" is just the first thing that comes to the mind when you are asked why you don't apply for a job.
    I have never been homeless, so I don't know but I am sure you can get all that help at a shelter or some type of unemployment service center (including the address and letter template). As I understand, part of the problem with the homeless is that they refuse to use the services available for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I have never been homeless, so I don't know but I am sure you can get all that help at a shelter or some type of unemployment service center (including the address and letter template). As I understand, part of the problem with the homeless is that they refuse to use the services available for whatever reason.
    A substantial percentage of homeless people are mentally ill, so it makes it hard to help them. Also, the services being references just aren't really offered the way you seem to think they are.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Well...the majority of homeless people didn't get there because of drugs or alcohol.

While the general impression is that the homeless are primarily the chronic and episodic, those unfortunate individuals often seen living on the streets in the downtown areas of our cities, the fact is that more than half the homeless are families with children. The vast majority of these have been thrust into homelessness by a life altering event or series of events that were unexpected and unplanned for. Contrary to the belief that homelessness is primarily the result of major traumatic events or physical and mental disabilities, there are many top causes of homelessness in America.

Homelessness is, in fact, caused by tragic life occurrences like the loss of loved ones, job loss, domestic violence, divorce and family disputes. Other impairments such as depression, untreated mental illness, post traumatic stress disorder, and physical disabilities are also responsible for a large portion of the homeless. Many factors push people into living on the street. Acknowledging these can help facilitate the end of homelessness in America.

For those living in poverty or close to the poverty line, an "everyday" life issue that may be manageable for individuals with a higher income can be the final factor in placing them on the street. A broken down vehicle, a lack of vehicle insurance, or even unpaid tickets might be just enough to render someone homeless.

Divorce costs and the associated lowering of a family's total income can cause one or more family members to become homeless. For families that can hardly pay their bills, a serious illness or disabling accident may deplete their funds and push them out onto the street. Today, the rapid, unexpected loss of jobs and resultant foreclosures has caused great dislocation among families and has dramatically added to the number of people without a roof over their heads.

Natural disasters often cause current housing situations to become untenable and costly repairs are often simply not possible. The results of Hurricane Katrina stand in bleak testimony to the power of nature to displace people.
    http://www.homeaid.org/homeaid-stori...f-homelessness

More detailed statistics here - https://www.nlchp.org/documents/Home...ats_Fact_Sheet including some eye-opening facts like:

- In 2012, 10.3 million renters (approximately one in four) had “extremely low incomes” (ELI) as classified by HUD. In that same year, there were only 5.8 million rental units affordable to the more than 10 million people identified as ELI.
    - The foreclosure crisis also played, and continues to play, a significant role in homelessness:
    o In 2008, state and local homeless groups reported a 61% rise in homelessness since the foreclosure crisis began.
    o Approximately 40% of families facing eviction due to foreclosure are renters; the problem may continue to worsen as renters represent a rising segment of the U.S. population.
    - For women in particular, domestic violence is a leading cause of homelessness.
    - According to the most recent annual survey by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, major cities across the country report that top causes of homelessness among families were: (1) lack of affordable housing, (2) unemployment, (3) poverty, and (4) low wages, in that order.42 The same report found that the top four causes of homelessness among unaccompanied individuals were (1) lack of affordable housing, (2) unemployment, (3) poverty, (4) mental illness and the lack of needed
    services, and (5) substance abuse and the lack of needed services.

So, substance is one of the possibilities for homelessness, but certainly not the most common cause.