Which Path to choose for Legion

Hey guys,
    i returned to wow after a longer break (quit (again) at early wod).

So far i had a blast leveling sublety 1-90 in the past weeks. This weekend i faced wod again and felt much weaker with my sublety build.

This morning i reached lvl99 and started wondering which artifact (specc) i should choose to begin with Legion.
    I heard sublety will be far behind in damage at lower itemlevel and starts to excel late.
    I'm not a Hardcore Progression Raider, but did not want to be capped by my spec - i like to be capped by my personal skill :-) beeing at the bottom half of DPS sucks for me.

Can you guys help me to Start the right way in Legion in terms of spec?

Greetings eradi

Start however you want? The specs aren't as completely out of balance as this forum would otherwise lead you to believe with their extreme cases and examples of comparing players with shit legendaries to those with two Best in Slot.

Assassination performs better in the short term, due to multiple causes (scaling, artifact traits readily available and so on) while Sub needs a lot of investment and legendaries are great upgrades in dps.

All in all, i'ìm playing Sub 100% of the time, but i'm also playing really casually. If you're going to pug normal raids, it's more than fine. I find Sub playstyle much better than outlaw/assassination, but that's a personal opinion. For leveling i had no issues at all.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

As Always, play whatever is fun to you. Sin will give you the best baseline DPS but as mentioned above, all 3 specs are reasonably close together. You can do well with any of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by er4di View Post
    Hey guys,
    i returned to wow after a longer break (quit (again) at early wod).

I'm not a Hardcore Progression Raider, but did not want to be capped by my spec - i like to be capped by my personal skill :-) beeing at the bottom half of DPS sucks for me.

Can you guys help me to Start the right way in Legion in terms of spec?

Greetings eradi
    I play Sin for Mythic raids and Sub for M+ (Doins the +12s every week for the chest with good results)

Personal opinion here:

Sin is easy to maintain and get into: The easiest to play at a decent level. You can take Rupture relics (Crit % or dmg and use even lower lvl ones) and with 27 traits you are ready to go. Good legendaries across the board. M+ is "harder" to play and your dps in aoe packs is tied to procs to do insane dmg.
    Outlaw is the wildcard: There is no way to dodge the rng of Roll the bones at the moment. Results can vary a lot based on this so it is also harder to judge what kind of dps you "should" be doing at a specific level. M+ is easy to play with Bladeflury being the main way to aoe. There is a certain skill in getting your mark of death resets that will separate the "men from the boys". The legendaries for outlaw are meh IMO.
    Sub is a very difficult spec to play in a raid situations. It will take you some time to fully understand the way the different mechanics work. It is the spec that will do well for you in both M+ and Raid if you know what you are doing. If all things equal and without any of the good legendaries it is more likely that you will do better with a SIN build in raids before nighthold.

If you are looking a a high skillcap SUB is the way to go. It is also the best spec for doing all the content if you want to stick to just one of the spec/weapons. You have to be honest with your skill level here and how much you want to invest in improving your play to make it work. If you are not quite sure yet play Sin weapons to 27 traits so that you always have a back up in case you dont like / want to play sub anymore

Deleted
    The best spec overall is Assassination at the moment. Sub is nothing like the previous expansion and Outlaw isn't for everyone. Sub and Outlaw are depending on Legendaries to shine while Assassination only gets better with them. You can take 1 artifact of a choice and make it to 13 pts and eventually make the other 2 as well to 13-14 pts so you can get the first yellow dragon and decide what you want to play. By doing that you won't get backstabed in the heel after time for your spending and you will have a chance to see how each one of them performs. For leveling all 3 are good with + and -.

I think all the posts above are about in line and true, the only thing I'd add is I'd recommend levelling your Outlaw weapon first as you get decent results in dungeons at 18, then Sin to 27 and then decide which of the 3 specs you want to play at higher level. By then, switching between weapons isn't a big deal outside of legendary choice.

I don't know what the artifact knowledge time frames are like these days for fresh players but I'd guess it'd take you about a month to get your weps up with regular (not hardcore) play, I might be optimistic though. The reason I suggest this order is that it works well with your progression of content - dungeons -> easy raids -> end game. I tried levelling my sub weapon before my sin weapon and worked hard to get to 24 points for the highest ST path, was getting 'okay' results though found it especially clunky with highish ping (250 when going from AU to US). I switched to sin 2 weeks later and just went straight to top of the class.

Admittedly, the tough choice will be legendary spec - I was loot specced sub at first, got Cinidaria, then Valeera.. then Sephuz, so I'm just specced as sin now.