Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    This is like saying I celebrate Easter but it isn't about Jesus.
    Let's be realistic, Christmas has become very much of a secular holiday and a great deal of it can be quite easily divorced from any religious meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    You are free to celebrate anything you want. That doesn't make it yours. Chistmas is a Christian holiday. It has Christ in it's name. I can celebrate Hannukah, or participate in the Ramadan. They remain jewish, or muslim holiday. (or rather traditions) You don't need to be Christian to celebrate Christmas, but it remains a christian holiday. I can celebrate Independance day. That doesn't make it not american.
    okay, fine, christmas is a pagan holiday.

enjoy.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    You are free to celebrate anything you want. That doesn't make it yours. Chistmas is a Christian holiday. It has Christ in it's name. I can celebrate Hannukah, or participate in the Ramadan. They remain jewish, or muslim holiday. (or rather traditions) You don't need to be Christian to celebrate Christmas, but it remains a christian holiday. I can celebrate Independance day. That doesn't make it not american.
    Well much like the original holidy it coopted, Christmas is being warped again into a capitalistic, non religious holiday for many. SO...you have your interpretations, others have their own.

Governments shouldn't be spending money on religious displays, that's pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I have zero problems with removing cross. With that said, the line was crossed in seeking monetary funds for "irreparable" damage.

The ACLU has become the equivalent of an ambulance chaser.
    If the damage is irreparable, why try?

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

enjoy.
    Also no Christians better be celebrating Halloween or they're goin' to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Nothing says moral principles like a fresh cut check. lol
    I personally think that separation of church and state is necessary for a healthy democracy. But you can argue that we aren't a democracy, so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The US is a Christian nation.

Don't like it? Feel free to leave.
    No, it's not.

Don't like it? Feel free to leave.

No public displays of religious symbols. Pretty simple rule. Get over it.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Unless the town lets other faiths put up their own symbols on the tree, the town doesn't get to ignore the 1st amendment just because its "their livelyhood".

I mean I think the moneytary thing is bullshit, but since the government cannot endorce any one religion, it needs to allow all or none.

If the first amendment does what you think it does, how come we have clearly Christian slogans on our currency, as part of the pledge of allegiance and the official government motto?

Evidently all these things are constitutional, meaning so is this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's not some random decorations. Please try reading what this is about again.
    The OP mentions only 1 decoration. Unless it says something along the lines of "GOD HATES ANYONE WHO ISN'T CHRISTIANS!" ... then who really cares? Oh right, a guy who wants some money.

You do realize, even if confusion, that the whole idea of separating church and state is not because of ''liburals'', but because at the time, ''christian'' was a meaningless moniker as half of the United States would have considered the other half as pagans ? (Amongst protestant mind you-hating Catholics was the norm)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Let's be realistic, Christmas has become very much of a secular holiday and a great deal of it can be quite easily divorced from any religious meaning.
    Yes people can celebrate it how they want which is why the Cross shouldn't be a big deal, if it is, then lets get rid of presence since it represents the gifts the wise men gave, or the star on top of the Christmas tree since it represents the star, the Angel the wise-men followed. This whole thing is just like that southpark episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the first amendment does what you think it does, how come we have clearly Christian slogans on our currency, as part of the pledge of allegiance and the official government motto?
    Because the 50's red commie scare did it, and apparantly we dont have the balls to remove it. Id be fore removing it though.

Well much like the original holidy it coopted, Christmas is being warped again into a capitalistic, non religious holiday for many. SO...you have your interpretations, others have their own.
    That doesn't change the fact that it is a christian holiday. Othery may do whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

enjoy.
    Really? There were pagan religions celebrating the birth of christ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Seperation of church and state isn't something people can ignore just because they want to celebrate their religion.
    There is no such thing as much as you'd want to believe otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because government moves slowly. We shouldn't have these slogans on items of government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Can we stop acting like that meant specifically some random Christmas decorations?
    Hardly "random". It's specifically that giant symbol of Christianity at the top. They don't have any issue with the rest of the tree.

As if the town means to oppress everyone with a single tree decoration?
    Their intent is wholly irrelevant. They're still pushing a specific faith as the municipal government, which is illegal.

If they don't intend to enforce Christian views, it shouldn't be an issue to take it down and replace it with something generic/secular.

Nor do I care how long they've been doing this. "We've gotten away with abusive practices for YEARS" isn't a freaking defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't change the fact that it is a christian holiday. Othery may do whatever they want.

Really? There were pagan religions celebrating the birth of christ?
    and its a pagan holiday too. Its not just christian just because you say so. Holidays warp and change, get used to it.

Deleted
    Because the 50's red commie scare did it, and apparantly we dont have the balls to remove it. Id be fore removing it though.
    I'm not and until we declare these things unconstitutional, a christmas tree decoration on a goverment building certainly isn't.

It's insanity to pretend for just one moment, that Christianity isn't a part of America. Separation of church and state is good and all, but it doesn't have to be an absolute thing. Where is the harm when in a Christian country Christian goverment officials use a bunch of Christian symbols/slogans/etc?

I feel like getting rid of school prayers was also a mistake. Where's the harm in that?
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-12-12 at 11:10 PM.