Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Nostalgic of 80s cartoons : the third season of a legendary show is inbound

The Mysterious Cities of Gold, which reached legendary status in French Canada (presumably because Robotech and Gundam were too violent for the state broadcaster, but...), after a second season in 2013, got a third in 2016-it will be available in North America (in French however) this very week.

This is a 80s half-educative cartoon, as it was back then. It's not the show of the century. Its for kids.

And it's awesome

Season 3 OP :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4Fa7Eo3xY

Deleted
    Great, but I don't speak French.

The show did had success in the USA, no ?

Being 100% honest in that I have never heard of this show and despite growing up in the 90s I still watched a ton of 80s cartoons.

I remember this show vaguely but french is my third language and it becomes a blur if I saw this in the U.S or somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh shit, I remember this show! Nice.

The season end with the discovery of the fourth city.

That was the shiz back in the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this French-Canadian appropriation of Japanese Anime? If so I'm ok with it.

I loved this cartoon back when I was a kid. And that theme music... Brings back so many memories. Wish they would show this here in the US and in English.

It's a french anime (french-japanese colaboration) from France that was also broadcasted in Quebec.
    Canada/quebec were not involved in that anime at all. It's just popular

You can maybe find sub/dub version of it in english.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh Crap :O!! My nostaglia senses are giving me goosebumps.. this looks sooo good!

Just wishing for an english dub now
    #boycottchina

Well, once you have picked in French ''Esteban'' ''Tao'' and ''Zia'' you have at least 50% off the spoken lines...

French animators in the 80s really had a thing for mixing ancient legends with sci-fi;

7+ Year Old Account
    I used to love Saturday morning cartoons when it was 3 hours of Bugs Bunny, waiting for a little Road Runner to be tossed in. Then at 10 or 11 AM ABC's Wide World of Sports would come on.

Deleted
    Ow, more Japanese crap

Thought this was for the new DuckTales.

Actually, season 2 and 3 are French. Well, French leadership and South Korean animators (or even North Korean ones)

Screw this noise, give me Pirates of Dark Water.

Deleted
    I miss Pirates of Dark Water, Swatkats and the Real Adventures of Jonny Quest... also that weird and creepy cartoon about government alien hunters/investigators that no kid under 12 should ever watch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    The Mysterious Cities of Gold, which reached legendary status in French Canada (presumably because Robotech and Gundam were too violent for the state broadcaster, but...)
    I know that Robotech is "space aliens want to conquer the Earth for different reasons" and its battle in nearly every ep. The Mysterious Cities of Gold is "look for a lost city and solve mysteries" and not nearly have so meny battles as Robotech, but it is as violent as Robotech.

Stabb peopel with a knife, burn people with the power of the sun technology, detail how the two old civilizations destroys each other with sun powerd wepons, poison the well to kill everybady.

I know then did watch The Mysterious Cities of Gold and was thinking, what are they allow to kill peopel in a cartoons. Maybe French Canada cut it.