Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    PLEASE oh god please don't buy there, Private message me and I can help you with a build, you are in kind of the wrong direction. I know KSP's parts by heart and I had built a lot of PCs with them working as a technician. If you need help let me know.
    I always want more input, but I am NOT buying from KSP.

My previous PC was bought from there. It was this http://ksp.co.il/?uin=30064&select=.269..397.
    Right from the get go, it kept resetting itself while in SLI. Gave to KSP so they could check in their labs, they didn't find the problem, and had the balls to not return my money to me.
    Their customer service is a joke, and quality of their items is piss poor. I am NEVER buying from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    RAM speed isnt relevant. The difference between DDR4-2133 and 3200 is... less than 5%
    Depends on the workload. For a synthetic RAM benchmark, 3200 is 1.5x faster.

For a game the limitation will not be 100% on memory bandwidth or latency but it can play a significant part in performance when not entirely GPU-bound. The amount of time that your system is waiting for memory will depend on the exact game, what you're doing in the game, the settings you're running, framerate that it's achieving etc. It's sometimes irrelevant, sometimes very important.

Many games these days are getting significant benefits (over 5%, sometimes over 15%) between 2133mhz and 3200mhz RAM when not GPU limited without changing anything else in the system.

With 3000 and 2133 being basically the same price, 3000 is a good default. Many enthusiasts are pushing towards 4000mhz 24/7 for performance gains in games at additional cost because that performance cannot be obtained elsewhere (there is no CPU with faster ST performance than a 6600k/6700k)

Even if performance gap between 2133 and 3000 was 3% in a game it would be a cost effective upgrade for that game as a 3% increase to the cost of a $1000 system would be +$30. That means that a gain of +3% performance for less than +$30 would be improving the performance per dollar of the system and a gain of +3% performance for less than +$15 would be dramatically improving it.
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2016-12-15 at 10:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    RAM speed does actually matter in games quite significantly now.
    See below video for an example:

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    RAM speed does actually matter in games quite significantly now.
    See below video for an example:

And yet:

http://techbuyersguru.com/gaming-ddr...vs-16gb?page=1

same games, no noticable differences, or single frames.

Same results just about everywhere EXCEPT Digital Foundry.

15+ Year Old Account
    And yet:

http://techbuyersguru.com/gaming-ddr...vs-16gb?page=1

same games, no noticable differences, or single frames.

Same results just about everywhere EXCEPT Digital Foundry.
    Except that's the X99 platform on a Haswell-E chip, Haswell(-E) does not have the same performance scaling with memory as Sky Lake does.
    Sky Lake, from multiple reviews, does actually have performance benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Except that's the X99 platform on a Haswell-E chip, Haswell(-E) does not have the same performance scaling with memory as Sky Lake does.
    Sky Lake, from multiple reviews, does actually have performance benefits.
    ... did you read thhe article at all? They tested it on X99 -AND- Z170. And with 8GB and 16GB on both platforms.

15+ Year Old Account
    ... did you read thhe article at all? They tested it on X99 -AND- Z170. And with 8GB and 16GB on both platforms.
    To be truthful I did not, I re-checked and saw the benches you linked.

But I then also checked other sites like:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...i3-6100-review (Yes Digital foundry but an article you should read)
    http://wccftech.com/fallout-4-perfor...ing-to-report/ (Fallout 4 Benchmark)
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/...cking_review/6

So this would be a "1 site says yes, the other says no" .. I could throw in my anecdotal experience but it'd be exactly that .. anecdotal.
    Perhaps this "issue" is in need of more research but unfortunately I do not have the funds to go and do that across the entire Sky Lake range.

Care to sponsor me?

So you want a future proof build but dont want to OC? That makes no sense

Taken from your article
    "Averaged across our seven games, we see a 2% boost in average FPS and a 3% boost in minimums going from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-3200, which is relatively impressive given the settings we were playing at (maxed out at 2560x1440, typically). Investing in something other than DDR4-2133, even the fast DDR4-2133 we used, seems to be worthwhile, especially given the market-defying fact that DDR4-2666 is often cheaper! We've said this before and we'll say it again: Intel made a grave error capping out its lower-end Skylake chipsets at DDR4-2133, when DDR4-2666 is faster and often cheaper, while still requiring just 1.2V. It absolutely would have been the default minimum if Skylake hadn't been rushed to market to keep motherboard manufacturers happy (or happier than they were when Broadwell failed to appear in 2014). And unlike on the X99 platform, jumping up to DDR4-3200 does have an effect, although the extra cost of such high-speed RAM makes it a less of an obvious buy at this point"

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Taken from your article
    "Averaged across our seven games, we see a 2% boost in average FPS and a 3% boost in minimums going from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-3200, which is relatively impressive given the settings we were playing at (maxed out at 2560x1440, typically). Investing in something other than DDR4-2133, even the fast DDR4-2133 we used, seems to be worthwhile, especially given the market-defying fact that DDR4-2666 is often cheaper! We've said this before and we'll say it again: Intel made a grave error capping out its lower-end Skylake chipsets at DDR4-2133, when DDR4-2666 is faster and often cheaper, while still requiring just 1.2V. It absolutely would have been the default minimum if Skylake hadn't been rushed to market to keep motherboard manufacturers happy (or happier than they were when Broadwell failed to appear in 2014). And unlike on the X99 platform, jumping up to DDR4-3200 does have an effect, although the extra cost of such high-speed RAM makes it a less of an obvious buy at this point"
    Yeah... 2-3%, often not even a single frame.

Seriously, math is hard.

The point people were trying to make is that faster RAM is somehow this amazing boost to performance, where what i said was it is often within the margin of error.

And i was right. Faster RAM is not something you should be sweating over, ever, for gaming. 1 frame per second is not worth additional expense. If the RAM is cheap, sure. If its cheaper, definitely, no reason not to.

But dropping cash on 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz RAM? Worthless. Money essentially lit on fire and burned. Unless you do suprememly memory intensive tasks (compiling, rendering) the performance gain is miniscule and in almost all cases not even noticable outside of benchmarks