10+ Year Old Account

Preparing for trip to Japan, what do?

Long story short, my family has nagged me into joining them on a holiday to Japan late next year, this will be my first time outside of Australia and I don't want to seem like one of those typical "baka gaijin" tourists so I want to research how to fit in (as much as a heavily built 6'4" white guy can fit in Asia).

At anyone who has been there or lives there, what are the kinds of customs a foreigner like me would be expected to observe.

I've been to all those trip advice sites but considering they tell people who visit my country to act like some ludicrous stereotype, calling everyone mate, eating nothing but beetroot and kangaroo meat and using slang I've never heard of in my life, I'm dubious as to their validity. The last thing I want to do is look like I'm trying too hard to panda to them.

Also, does anyone have an online course or the like to help me understand the language (there's so much trash on the Google).

-XOXO Me.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

6'4"? In a crowd you'll see over everyone's heads. I wouldn't worry about it too much, they expect abhorrent behavior from aliens. Just don't interrupt their schedules and you'll be fine.

There is this train in Tokyo that goes around in a loop, you get on at a stop, the train goes around the loop making many stops and finally gets back to the place were it picked you up. On Halloween, the foreigners were celebrating, many wearing costumes, and they decided to move the party to the loop train. All of them getting on and off slowed the train by about 10 minutes.

This upset the Japanese so much that the Japanese staged a protest march with signs in English saying "Gaigin go home!"

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    Long story short, my family has nagged me into joining them on a holiday to Japan late next year, this will be my first time outside of Australia and I don't want to seem like one of those typical "baka gaijin" tourists so I want to research how to fit in (as much as a heavily built 6'4" white guy can fit in Asia).

At anyone who has been there or lives there, what are the kinds of customs a foreigner like me would be expected to observe.

I've been to all those trip advice sites but considering they tell people who visit my country to act like some ludicrous stereotype, calling everyone mate, eating nothing but beetroot and kangaroo meat and using slang I've never heard of in my life, I'm dubious as to their validity. The last thing I want to do is look like I'm trying too hard to panda to them.

Also, does anyone have an online course or the like to help me understand the language (there's so much trash on the Google).

-XOXO Me.
    Time to learn their culture then. Japan's culture is almost completely different to western countries.

Learn what is appropriate, and what is not appropriate in Japan's standards.

For example, you are not to talk (phone too) when you are riding a train. You can, but japanese people will think: Gaijin baka!

But they do know you are a foreigner, so they have tolerance, and expect you to act differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    At 6'4 among Asians you're going to stand out regardless. Don't overthink it and just try to stay polite.

Exchange money at your bank if they offer it, you'll get a much better rate than if you do it at the airport. Also flag your bank account for international travel. You don't want to get there and have your bank freeze your money cause they see some "shady" withdraws overseas (had it happen to me while traveling and it was a mess)
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    All helpful advice thanks.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

be humble just like they are. they hate arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post

-XOXO Me.
    Hope this helps