Page 1 of 48
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Why are Republicans so Anti-Climate Change?

They flat out deny massive amounts of scientific evidence.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-12-17 at 02:15 AM.

The same reason there existing some Flat Earth Society - There will always be People who blindly ignore facts becouse someone who is more intelligent said it.

Or if something doesn't exist I don't neet to care about it.

If Climate change would exist nearly every Promise Trump gave related to energy politics would be absolutely devastating for climate. And it would require a rethinking of the american dream. For me when I hear about this topic it sounds like i caqn do what i want and nobody can tell me not to.

First of all the Automobile Industry would need to go a whole new way and so on...
    Last edited by skynet1990; 2016-12-17 at 02:17 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Does fighting Climate Change come at the cost of jobs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the GOP is owned by the energy companies -- in particular oil and coal and the like.

The GOP's financial backers would lose a ton of money if serious energy policy was put into place.

When you are talking about rank and file GOP voters -- that's just because they only get information from one source and never verify it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Lots of big oil companies are bff's with senators and they earn money off each other. It's called lobbying.

I dont think its anything complicated, its probably just the "us vs them" that both sides do.

One is for abortion, the other is again.

One says climate change, the other says nothing is wrong.

etc etc etc..

While their are stupid people (on both sides) you have to figure that they were smart enough to get rich and advance in politics this much, that they wouldn't actually believe the stuff they are saying if they are wrong right?

I think the left often decides to put everyone into two groups with climate change, either you believe it or not. They are missing out on the third group though that believes it does happen, but it's not going to lead to the doomsday scenario that we've seen many exclaim. Especially when we see stuff like this:

This election it was hardly brought up which suggests that voters on both sides of the fence are uninterested in it. I guess it doesn't help when you announce some planetary disaster happening and it doesn't actually play out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    No, but all these rural whites might strike it rich one day as an oil or coal baron.

Come and listen to my story about a man named Jed
    A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
    And then one day he was shootin at some food,
    And up through the ground come a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
    The kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
    Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
    So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthem...ieslyrics.html

Because their donors tell them to be and their voters are gullible or don't care

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Jobs in particular fields, of course. It also creates other jobs when we start using cleaner sources of energy.

It's in fact cheaper to use alternative clean energy in most of the US opposed to fossil fuels.
    I mean I would disagree there. I know that replacing a coal or natural gas plant with a nuclear plant actually creates less jobs. It seems to be the case that technology that is more efficient in energy production, simply requires less jobs because less input is needed due to high efficiency; therefore, less jobs are created. On the other hand, inefficient energy technology actually creates more jobs because it requires more input due to its inefficiency which translates to more jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because enough of them still believe in a 6000 year old earth

From link:

Quote Originally Posted by Trump Advisor, Anthony Scaramuci
    He later added, “I’m saying people have gotten things wrong throughout the 5,500-year history of our planet.”
    Or they believe that all those science papers, peer reviewed, tested, etc are absolute rubbish because...

...reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Why are Republicans anti climate change? Because you can't get facts in your way, that's why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77GGn-E607E

10+ Year Old Account
    The more and more regulations we pile onto manufacturers, the better and better China looks to them. Not to mention regulations are an important factor in the decline of our auto industry. There is a reason there aren't long, steel, landships rolling out of the Cadillac plant these days, and it ain't because of change in tastes. Hell, our environmental regulations are so tough Volkswagen felt the need to cheat them. That's bad.

Do we really need 4 simultaneous climate change threads? I can't keep up with half baked arguments spread so wide. We really do need a large sticky thread for this shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

And that cartoon is why I dont listen to doomsayers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepst.../#5f4a404426d6

The 97 percent claim is a deliberate misrepresentation designed to intimidate the public—and numerous scientists whose papers were classified by Cook protested:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...sus-ian-tuttle

Only 34 percent of the papers Cook examined expressed any opinion about anthropogenic climate change at all. Since 33 percent appeared to endorse anthropogenic climate change, he divided 33 by 34 and — voilà — 97 percent! When David Legates, a University of Delaware professor who formerly headed the university’s Center for Climatic Research, recreated Cook’s study, he found that “only 41 papers — 0.3 percent of all 11,944 abstracts or 1.0 percent of the 4,014 expressing an opinion, and not 97.1 percent,” endorsed what Cook claimed. Several scientists whose papers were included in Cook’s initial sample also protested that they had been misinterpreted. “Significant questions about anthropogenic influences on climate remain,” Legates concluded.
    So please..spare me.

Oh and science doesnt work by consensus and never will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    The more and more regulations we pile onto manufacturers, the better and better China looks to them. Not to mention regulations are an important factor in the decline of our auto industry. There is a reason there aren't long, steel, landships rolling out of the Cadillac plant these days, and it ain't because of change in tastes. Hell, our environmental regulations are so tough Volkswagen felt the need to cheat them. That's bad.
    More like our trade deals are bad. Regulations are necessary.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

But..I will make you a deal.

Build a time machine, go 200 years into the future, come back to me with solid undeniable proof that these theories and models and conjectures are accurate, and I will listen.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of science background do you have?
    Just out of curiosity, how many do YOU have? Or are we now going to insist that one must have a degree or four in climate science before commenting?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Jobs in particular fields, of course. It also creates other jobs when we start using cleaner sources of energy.

It's in fact cheaper to use alternative clean energy in most of the US opposed to fossil fuels.
    not at the volumes people currently require demand.

No but a little common sense would do it.

First of all I would not bring an economical magazine as counterargument for a science debate. Signs are showing for everyone willing to investigate a little bit there are proofs.

For example why do we have more natural desasters than 30 years ago?

My guess would be that they are anti-climate change because liberals shove their opinions on all subjects down everyone's throat and therefore it causes them to automatically disagree with them regardless of what is presented to them.