Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ok, enough medical advice, I'm still curious what you guys experience.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry son, but it's terminal.

I get soreness in my finger tips when the nails grow too long. It's because I work in IT/Software Development so I do a shit ton of typing and when they get to a certain point I'm not using the tip of my finger to type but the tip of my finger nail and the repeated taps with the tip of my fingernail causes soreness.

Sorry, I know this is a dead post, but I'm too new to DM Zindai

I also get pain in the back of my hands and up my forearms when my fingernails get to be about 1 mm or longer. After I cut them, it goes away in a few hours. This has happened to me for many years now, but I don't think it did when I was a teenager.

I'm starting to think the pain might be some sort of carpal tunnel issue. I just realized that I type differently when my nails touch the keys so I'm still pressing the keys with the pads of my finger tips. I'm in front of a computer most of the day every day. I'm not sure what else could cause it.

Did you ever figure anything out or find other people who experience this?

Too short hurts because... duh, obviously. Too long can get to hurting because of having to maintain odd positions to avoid snags/whatever and like any unnatural movement it gets to hurting.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No pain when they get long except they do break and splinter more if they are long. So then it can be painful at times. I try to keep them short.

Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    I experience extreme disgust wondering what's under other people's long fingernails.

I trim mine every day or two.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I don't get pain, but I can actively feel them when they're getting long for me. I clip em about every 4 days, down to the edge of the white part.

I'm with belfpala on this. Some dudes keep their nails looooong. Grosses me out.

Never had fingernail pain, my nails are short as I play guitar.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

7+ Year Old Account
    Keep my nails short, never had them long.
    Off topic but I did end up dropping a giant piece of lumber on both my big toes. Nails were purple for months, both my big toe nails ended up peeling off. Was pretty gross and slightly unconformable

If I cut them too short I get pain. Never had pain with long finger nails, and I keep mine sorta long for a while until they get long enough to start breaking by even just washing my hair.

My fingernails retract.

Quote Originally Posted by cn2018 View Post
    Sorry, I know this is a dead post, but I'm too new to DM Zindai

I also get pain in the back of my hands and up my forearms when my fingernails get to be about 1 mm or longer. After I cut them, it goes away in a few hours. This has happened to me for many years now, but I don't think it did when I was a teenager.

I'm starting to think the pain might be some sort of carpal tunnel issue. I just realized that I type differently when my nails touch the keys so I'm still pressing the keys with the pads of my finger tips. I'm in front of a computer most of the day every day. I'm not sure what else could cause it.

Did you ever figure anything out or find other people who experience this?
    I was wondering why this thread suddenly made a return.

I still haven't found out anything new - I just cut my nails every 6-7 days, and I'm fine. The pain happens regardless of how much I use the computer, and I haven't had any other issues related to my fingers, wrist, arm etc.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

Same Issue Man

Yes, I am also facing the same problem I don't understand why?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    i was just looking around to see if others had the same problem and came across your old post. yes i have exactly the same thing. i wonder if age has anything to do with it since i don t remember having it when i was younger. was reading on another site that it could also be arthritis. have to go as i need to cut my nails

I'm more the sort of person that picks at things when they're the wrong length. Hair, nails, etc. So my finger nails are always way too short to do things like open pop cans (good riddance I suppose that stuff was murder on my teeth)

I don't know if I haven't let them get long enough to hurt or if they just don't bother me when they are long, but when they are too short there is a minor persistent annoying pain until it grows out a little bit. This happens with both finger and toe nails.

I get fingernail pain in my index finger on my left hand, when my nails are too short, but i believe its cause my nails are normally long, so when i cut them short, its like they still feel long, and I sometimes forget that and end up pressing things/typing more roughly, if that makes sense? I do have joint problems in my hands though, which can flare up and cause me that same nail pain too and that same finger is the one with the wonky shaped cuticle too.. so maybe thats the reason lol

I am an avid nail polish collector (over 800 bottles lol) and wearer, I swatch and such, so my nails are always painted too

These are my longest I let them grow.

and this is the shortest I usually go, but causes me the most problems lol and you can see my wonky cuticle lol

Currently have them somewhere in the middle and finding less pain/problems. definitely not jarring them like I do when they are too short, and not getting them stuck down the sides of my keyboard when they are too long lol

No? That's weird. I keep my nails naturally long and never had any such issues. I never heard of another woman claiming such either.

Perhaps there is some kind of infection at play. Odd.

I have very long nails. My daughter tells people I am a witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Long fingernails are a PITA to grow out and maintain.
    For some people I am blessed with strong, pretty fingernails that are the envy of all the women in my life, lol. There may have even been fingernail polish sessions so I understand the weird sensation of wearing it and I don't like it either.

As a guy I don't understand the long fingernail thing either. It is not something I really look for.

OP, are you sure your forearm issue isn't the result of some kind of apprehension while doing tasks with long fingernails. Almost all the muscles that move your hand are in the forearm. It doesn't take much, I mean when I drive only really bumpy roads I have to try hard to not tap the gas it really doesn't take long to get some pretty serious fatigue, if you are doing something A. That is an unusual movement with small muscles or hyper extension B. You actually don't do all that often.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.