Windowed Freezing

(Apologies if this is in the wrong section)

Hey dudes and dudettes! I've ran into a predicament lately. I play in 800x600 windowed mode (for better performance and because I like multitasking talking to friends on facebook), and every once in a while the game sort of freezes for anywhere from 5 seconds to a couple of minutes. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but I've been trying to perceive what could cause it. At first I thought it was from the stores, but I've noticed it quite a few times in combat and, even more frustrating, in zoned quests that require attention. What happens is, it'll randomly freeze with the sounds still working, and the mouse will do the little loading bar thing, flashing over and over every couple of seconds reverting to mouse and back to loading circle. A fast, sometimes working, fix to make it go faster is to minimize until the sounds stop, and then maximize which sort of resets the game which takes a few seconds, but sometimes fixes the problem. But only for a short while, which makes the game immensely annoying to play when it happens every few minutes.

A possible theory I have, which I've seen happen in basically almost every windowed game I play, is that the windowed game sort of flickers sometimes. If it's a universal problem among most games I play, then having that fixed would be immensely awesome. The same effect doesn't happen to other games, but the flicker can cause some games to just stop working all together.

Does anyone have any fixes for this?

How much RAM do you have?

It may be trying to clear/reload the game assets in RAM, which cause the game to 'lock up'.

Next time you play, keep the task manager open and watch the RAM usage for GW (along with your total available). And see if it does anything like max out your RAM. If the game is taking up all your RAM, and you are swapping from it to other stuff, that may be what is going on. When you leave game focus, windows might be clearing its RAM of the game, to let other applications access it.

4.00 RAM, 3.75 usable. When watching the Task Manager, when running the game it goes around 57% physical memory, and when it locks up a UI program starts up and drains 3% more physical memory, bumping it up to 60%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuwat View Post
    4.00 RAM, 3.75 usable. When watching the Task Manager, when running the game it goes around 57% physical memory, and when it locks up a UI program starts up and drains 3% more physical memory, bumping it up to 60%.
    You mentioned facebook... browsers get really greedy for ram, especially on sites like facebook...
    How high is the usage when you have the game+facebook running?

4gb seems rather low for nowadays TBH... my 4gb ram laptop has it's issues with GW2 even in fullscreen, but that might also be due to other components.

Actually had facebook running when I last tested :P So 57% on average is where it stands. Then a mysterious UI program pops up and bumps the physical memory to 60% which causes the game to freeze. Not hitting 60 of course, but the mysterious UI program is what causes the freeze.

Deleted
    Mysterious UI program??

Which one?

Have you tried googling it and finding out what that UI program actually is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuwat View Post
    Actually had facebook running when I last tested :P So 57% on average is where it stands. Then a mysterious UI program pops up and bumps the physical memory to 60% which causes the game to freeze. Not hitting 60 of course, but the mysterious UI program is what causes the freeze.
    If its Coherent UI thats the mostly the gem store.

Resident Cosplay Progressive