Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstate101 View Post
    Has my dad gone too far with politics, or is this behavior normal?

1. Refuses to be friends with anyone that voted for Trump.
    2. Refuses to be friends with anyone that watches "Fox News".
    3. Every night is a drunken curse-fest while watching "MSNBC" political news.
    4. Has cut-off relationships with two of my older brothers because they voted for Trump.
    5. Has cut-off other relationships, both at work and online, as a result of them voting for Trump.

There's more but I can't remember atm.
    Yeah, this totally happened.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2016-12-21 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    So you'd rather he be exposing himself to people who he finds to be toxic because of their opinions because it's interfering with people who have those opinions he thinks are troublesome?
    Granted we haven't heard both sides but from the information given it seems that he's the one who's toxic.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Well, the President Trump joke was taken too far.

As for point 4, you'r dad raised those two idiots. Its all on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Yeah, these things totally happened.
    I can totally understand it. Parents abandon their kids for being homosexual, not continuing the family business etc. Why does that seem impossible to you? I think it's quite possible, just that you have to be careful taking people on the internet seriously about their stories. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalene View Post
    Disallowing your own children because they voted for another candidate is a childish manner of behavior and he should handle it like an adult and accept people have different opinions, whether those are "toxic" or not.
    What would your opinion be if your children supported Quisling?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account

4. Has cut-off relationships with two of my older brothers because they voted for Trump.
    5. Has cut-off other relationships, both at work and online, as a result of them voting for Trump.

If number 3 is true, that might be the cause of the issue.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'll humor this Totally True™ tale of yours and say he sounds like he an issue with alcohol so that'll make things worse. For everything else though, as extreme as it is, he's free to do so. Personally I wouldn't go have a beer with a Trumpet but some, I assume, are decent people.

15+ Year Old Account

Many people in the west have wondered how it is communist states and Nazi Germany are and were able to get family members to turn one another in to the secret police.

Now you know just how close that reality is in your own home.

We like to think we're above it but we're not. We're one inflamed passion away from doing the same thing.

So whats having two moms like? cuz your dad is acting like a little bitch. I will never understand why people take politics this far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell your dad that he's supposed to want a better life for his children than he had. Also remind him of the saying that "God helps those who helps themselves."

And then point out that's just what your brothers did. #MAGA
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope it is totally acceptable.

Because what you voted for, in his point of view, has, or would have, create a negative impact for them, so in a way, your very vote caused them harm.

So why wouldn't he disown you when you made his life worse?

Friends, family, if they done something that has a negative effect on you, it is totally acceptable to unfriend them or disown them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    I didn't know that being someones kids meant they were immune to that parents dislike.
    I think you'll find it impossible to quote me on saying that.

Why haven't you recorded your Dad during one of his "drunken curse-fests" while watching MSNBC?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If number 3 is true, that might be the cause of the issue.
    You're probably right. Thanks for all of the responses everyone!

Well it's up to your dad what he wants to do with his life...

Politics is pretty serious for a lot of people, though if you're in a privileged position it may not seem so.

retarded behavior and I don't even like trump

Watchin MSNBC is a pretty good sign that he's detached from reality.
    Working on my next ban.

I'm not a Trump supporter, and I am extremely concerned about the direction this country is heading in, however your dad's reaction seems a tad much. If it truly is affecting him this badly then he may need some professional support.

It may also help if he finds local like minded anti-Trump friends and joins in lobbying against Trumps' policies to state and federal representatives. That will allow him an outlet for his frustrations, and may actually serve to accomplish something. Hopefully he'll be able to dial his emotions back to the point he can at least be cordial with his own family.

Absolutely OP. What do you do though? Tell him he is wrong and he will cry while calling you every name in the book. Tolerant left for ya.