Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    High test scores don't indicate being a "walking calculator" or other useless skills, despite the frequent stereotype (which seems to be mostly based on sour grapes and/or jealousy). Scoring high on tests like the GRE's math section is indicative of the sort of abstract cognition that's extremely useful in the most complex settings.

This explanation particularly doesn't hold water when it comes to just flatly discriminating against Asian and white students in admissions.
    It measures a specific kind of abstract cognition, which isn't useful for all majors. Doing well on the math general GRE or the math section of the SAT is largely irrelevant to whether or not someone will succeed in a math program, for instance. Because a totally different sort of abstract thinking is required.

And nobody in admissions really cares about the general GRE anyway, unless the scores are abysmal. And I wager the SAT is treated the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    It measures a specific kind of abstract cognition, which isn't useful for all majors. Doing well on the math general GRE or the math section of the SAT is largely irrelevant to whether or not someone will succeed in a math program, for instance. Because a totally different sort of abstract thinking is required.

And nobody in admissions really cares about the general GRE anyway, unless the scores are abysmal. And I wager the SAT is treated the same way.
    While I'm inclined to disagree regarding this being a specific kind of abstract cognition (I think these tests are decently g-loaded and that intelligence translates well across realms), I'd rather focus on the object-level question of whether affirmative action is a good idea. Even if you think these tests are imperfect proxies for actual ability, this is pretty indefensible:

He's on a school board of all things lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That doesn't address the actual inequality, it's a deflection on your part. The inequality would still exist. That's like saying white people should just get better if they don't like being passed over because of affirmative action.
    Affirmative action is racial discrimination to intentionally foster inequality between people based solely on race. If you read the thread or any argument against affirmative action it's the objection to the racial discrimination part, not the inequality part. Discrimination is a good process, just not when you're doing it based on race

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Affirmative action is racial discrimination to intentionally foster inequality between people based solely on race. If you read the thread or any argument against affirmative action it's the objection to the racial discrimination part, not the inequality part. Discrimination is a good process, just not when you're doing it based on race
    And the Electoral College is discrimination based on state of residence. The complaints about the racial discrimination are based on equality... because that's what it is. Discrimination is a great process, so long as the government isn't the one pushing it. The Electoral College IS discrimination. If you are going to whine about it being based on race, then why would you be fine with basing it off of location of residence?