Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    And there are plenty available.

They don't have to work for Amazon.
    what makes you think they won't do the exact same bs to save money once they see amazon is getting away with it ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    what makes you think they won't do the exact same bs to save money once they see amazon is getting away with it ?
    What BS is that?

Stuff like this already exists everywhere.

The only thing Amazon are doing wrong here imo is charging for the bus (pretty shitty thing to do, other companies do it for free, but whatever, business is business) and not allow staff to sleep in the breakroom between shifts (however I don't know about the facility at the site in question, possible health and safety problems).

This isn't saving Amazon any money (cept maybe on the bus), this is people wanting to earn more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    what makes you think it would just go under the radar if every company started doing this? One company slips past it, multiple companies would create a workers crisis until government mandate steps in to right it.
    #boycottchina

Doesn't every multi-national company hope to have ghettos spring up around their work sites? It lends them a certain credibility as a economic abuser.

Deleted
    In an ideal world everyone would have a great paying job that you'd get as soon as you turn 16 and your set for life. Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world, so we make the best of what we have, and if that means forcing people who don't want to work into work, then thats fine by me. You don't have to apply for Jobseekers Allowance, entirely free to go it on your own, but if you do come to the government for a handout, then the government is well within there rights to sort you out a job to stop you being a tax burden.
    where do you see they don't want to work ? they are so desperate to make money by working that they're sleeping in tents on their workplace

people need to stop make it look like "choice" is a magical word where you are in control of absolutely everything in life. you don't have choices when you're poor/uneducated, and even if everyone had a phd you would still need low skill jobs so there is no way you can justify mistreating an entire segment of the workforce on the basis that they're lazy/entitled/uneducated/whatever bs buzzword

amazon makes record profits and pays record lows in taxes. they even managed to obtain tax funded subsidies to open a center in my country. the least they can do is treat their workers fairly

if you WORK any job you should be able to have a decent life
    not be paid millions but at least enough to live
    Last edited by mmocab05265050; 2016-12-22 at 11:59 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Does the UK count as a Capitalist country???
    You have got to be the unluckiest person around here. I mean, by the number of posts you should be able to get something right by chance alone and yet here you are coming out with this gem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    where do you see they don't want to work ? they are so desperate to make money that they're sleeping in tents on their workplace

people need to stop make it look like "choice" is a magical word where you are in control of absolutely everything in life. you don't have choices when you're poor/uneducated, and even if everyone had a phd you would still need low skill jobs so there is no way you can justify mistreating an entire segment of the workforce on the basis that they're lazy/entitled/uneducated/whatever bs buzzword

amazon makes record profits and pays record lows in taxes. they even managed to obtain tax funded subsidies to open a center in my country. the least they can do is treat their workers fairly
    In your mind, how would they treat them better? Other than paying them a higher wage that is, because its a minimum wage no skilled job.

This honestly sounds like the argument that was made in America with McDonalds staff wanting a $15/hour minimum wage, and all thats led to is an increase in automation and faster job losses. As another poster already said in this thread, the Amazon centre near him already uses robots to do the picking.

As for not having choices when your poor and uneducated, I left school with just my GCSEs at 16, went straight into work and currently work as a logistics manager for one of the largest supermarket chains in the UK. You always have choices of where you want to work. Always.

Clickbait article title. It should read "employees are choosing to sleep in tents to save money".
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    if you WORK any job you should be able to have a decent life
    not be paid millions but at least enough to live
    That'd be a nice world to live in.

But we don't live in it, and we aren't going to live in it anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    And there are plenty available.

They don't have to work for Amazon.
    It very much depends where you are, now I've no idea what the employment levels are like in that particular area, but there are plenty of places where options are in fact very limited. That they have to travel so far to get to it that camping on site seems desirable, then it would suggest that there isn't that much 'closer to home' at all.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    60hr work week, so 20hrs of over time pay, to sleep in a tent.. for a week or two out of the year, around when i likely need the money the most.. DEAL.
    Well said, it's comical that some posters are trying to pass this off as Amazon exploiting workers XD

Deleted
    In your mind, how would they treat them better? Other than paying them a higher wage that is, because its a minimum wage no skilled job.

This honestly sounds like the argument that was made in America with McDonalds staff wanting a $15/hour minimum wage, and all thats led to is an increase in automation and faster job losses. As another poster already said in this thread, the Amazon centre near him already uses robots to do the picking.

As for not having choices when your poor and uneducated, I left school with just my GCSEs at 16, went straight into work and currently work as a logistics manager for one of the largest supermarket chains in the UK. You always have choices of where you want to work. Always.
    automation would have happened wether or not the min wage changed
    it is just very convenient for these industries to wave that threat to avoid regulation in the meantime

and taking you personnal case alone means nothing, especially when unemployment is increasing in almost every country
    and it does certainly not mean you did it all by yourself

no matter how i like the idea that everyone could do everything by sheer will and work, its just not that simple in real life

- - - Updated - - -

That'd be a nice world to live in.

But we don't live in it, and we aren't going to live in it anytime soon.
    for no other reason than lack political will to impose decent working conditions
    its not like this is something normal and impossible to address

10+ Year Old Account

Jeeze, you make a multibillion dollar megacorporation sound like a fucking charity for being so good as to give these people a job. The fact is, that the company needs these people to do a job. They don't just create them out of the goodness of their hearts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Well said, it's comical that some posters are trying to pass this off as Amazon exploiting workers XD
    amazon is well known for exploiting workers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Jeeze, you make a multibillion dollar megacorporation sound like a fucking charity for being so good as to give these people a job. The fact is, that the company needs these people to do a job. They don't just create them out of the goodness of their hearts.
    They create the jobs out of a desire to make profit.

If they can replace the workers with automation for cheaper, they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    They create the jobs out of a desire to make profit.

If they can replace the workers with automation for cheaper, they will.
    Of course they will, and so what if they do? There are other minimum wage jobs out there right? You're defending shitting on humans because robots are expensive.

What happened to the utopia of a high skilled workforce that built, designed and maintained the robots?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Of course they will, and so what if they do? There are other minimum wage jobs out there right? You're defending shitting on humans because robots are expensive.
    The fact that you think being paid £7.85 an hour for picking boxes is being "shit on" says a lot about your world view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Hmmmm to have a job or not to have a job.......

I think most will take the job, even more so when they got a family to take care of.
    I love the narrow viewpoint and closed mindedness of this guy. Never ceases to entertain. Lock not you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you think being paid £7.85 an hour for picking boxes is being "shit on" says a lot about your world view.
    My world view is shaped by the fact that I'll never be realistically able to afford to buy a house on my own, near to where I work, on my national average salary.

Deleted
    the fact that you consider someone is not allowed to earn decent money because they're doing a job you consider to be dumb says a lot about yours