Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Britain's Prince Charles Says Anti-Immigrant Populism Echoes rise of Nazis

LONDON — The heir to Britain's throne spoke out Thursday, saying the wave of anti-immigrant populism sweeping the world has "deeply disturbing echoes" of the Nazis' persecution of Jews in the 1930s.

Prince Charles, the queen's eldest son, said his parents' generation "fought and died in a battle against intolerance, monstrous extremism and an inhuman attempt to exterminate the Jewish population of Europe.

"That nearly 70 years later we should still be seeing such evil persecution is to me beyond all belief," he added. "We owe it to those who suffered and died so horribly not to repeat the horrors of the past."

He made the comments as a guest contributor on "Thought for the Day," a scripted monologue broadcast each morning during BBC Radio 4's breakfast news show, "Today."

The prince was urging listeners to be more compassionate about migrants and refugees. Some 65.3 million people across the world have been forced to leave their homes, according to the United Nations.

"We are now seeing the rise of many populist groups across the world that are increasingly aggressive to those who adhere to a minority faith," Charles said. "All of this has deeply disturbing echoes of the dark days of the 1930s."

The prince did not cite any politician or party but his comments apparently refer to the wave of anti-immigrant populism linked to the victories of Donald Trump and Britain's Brexit campaign.

These election wins have emboldened far-right groups across Europe, some of whom are now eyeing success in other elections. In England and Wales, incidents of religious or racist abuse rose 41 percent in the month after the Breixt vote in June, according to government figures.

Charles also linked the refugee crisis to Christianity and Islam.

"I wonder if this year we might remember how the story of the Nativity unfolds with the fleeing of the holy family to escape violent persecution," he said. "And we might also remember that when the prophet Muhammad migrated from Mecca to Medina, he did so because he too was seeking the freedom for himself and his followers to worship."
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eur...-nazis-n698996

Charlie makes a good point. We've seen the deep stain left on the continent after the first run in with the Nazis. Are we really going to stand by and let it happen again?

7+ Year Old Account
    Look how well the pro immigration stance is going for germany and sweeden , hahahah

Deleted
    The grand-grand-...-grandchild of some tribal leader and product of a millenium of incest has spoken.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I challenge the idiot Prince by asking "Do people have a right to immigrate?"

More over doesn't a country have a right to decide who comes in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I challenge the idiot Prince by asking "Do people have a right to immigrate?"
    Did you ever hear or read about "human rights"?

That sounds like hyperbole. The people affected most by immigration are anti-immigration, no surprise there. They aren't Nazis or bigots.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Prince Charles should open his home and his properties to throngs of uneducated, radicalized military aged men from third world countries! I totally agree with Prince Charles doing that.

Show us the way Prince Charles!

7+ Year Old Account
    "Anti-immigrant populism"? More like, people want to go back to what was in the past, a more sensible immigration policy. I don't think having requirements and a limit on how many people can immigrate is anti-immigrant in any important manner.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    As instituted by whom? On what authority do they even exist?
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Human rights doesn't make it a right to immigrate to another country.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Prince Charles should open his home and his properties to throngs of uneducated, radicalized military aged men from third world countries! I totally agree with Prince Charles doing that.

Yeah, the Princes, the Sir Richard Bransons, ect have lots of property. As does Zuckerberg and others, yet for some reason its never THEIR homes that must be open.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    As instituted by whom? On what authority do they even exist?
    The UN.

http://www.un.org/en/universal-decla...-human-rights/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Human rights doesn't make it a right to immigrate to another country.
    Asylum is part of the human rights:

Article 14.

(1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
    (2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote where immigrating to another country is a human right, please.

Deleted
    Quote where immigrating to another country is a human right, please.
    Did you miss Article 14?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post

Why don't you do it as well since you're advocating for it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Asylum is part of the human rights:

Article 14.

(1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
    (2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.
    That's not the same as immigrating nor does that guarantee that you won't have your application get rejected.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you miss Article 14?
    Article 14 has nothing to do with immigration. I am an immigrant in taiwan, that doesn't mean I've received asylum.

Deleted
    Article 14 has nothing to do with immigration.
    Part of the immigrants in europe actually seek asylum. As they are war casualties.

Not all immigrations are covered, but the asylum based immigrations actually are.

10+ Year Old Account
    He invoked Godwin's law pretty damn quickly.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Part of the immigrants in europe actually seek asylum. As they are war casualties.
    So? That does not make article 14 have anything to do with immigration. Refugees are supposed to stay temporary, immigrating means you're moving there on a permanent basis.

7+ Year Old Account
    Surely we should heed the advice of someone who's effectively just a tabloid celebrity.

That's not the same as immigrating nor does that guarantee that you won't have your application get rejected.
    Not to mention that UN has no actual authority. /shrug