Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Its almost like taste is subjective and people should just mind there own business.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its almost like taste is subjective and people should just mind there own business.
    Nonsense! We must judge.

I never eat something under medium/well. I have tried it and I don't like it. I don't care what others think.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Why? They asked. Taste might be subjective, but well-done for certain cuts literally degrades the meats flavor/texture.

Poultry -- Chicken and turkey must be done (at least 160F on my thermometer). Others like duck and some game birds can be more like 140F.
    Pork -- USDA recently changed their recommendation to 145F from 160F. I prefer mine more like 140F. There will be pink.
    Beef -- Very dependent on the cut. Good cuts (ribeye, mignon, etc.) are best, imo, at 125-130F. Other cuts (flank, skirt, hangar, etc.) can be more done. Even more cuts shouid only be used for stewing or braising.
    Fish -- Depends on the fish, as with beef. Quality tuna can be anywhere from raw to well. Same with salmon. White fish should be medium-well. Whatever.

If you order my ribeye well done, I will first give the ticket "the look", then I will angrily put the ticket on my board, then I will make a welldone ribeye, then I will cry a little when I plate it and put on the window.

Yes, I might be a snob, but I always have to remember I'm cooking for the customer, not for me.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-01-01 at 12:21 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Seriously - just because I want my meat cooked, suddenly it becomes a critical issue of your existence ?
    Most of this stuff is just tongue-in-cheek. The people running a restaurant might not be very thrilled if you ask for a steak prepared in a way that they feel is wasteful, but for everyone else, it doesn't really matter what they think. If you like a well-done steak. Order/cook a well-done steak.

Well done steak is literally Hitler.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Because wanting your steak well done is usually indicator of childish behavior whereby the person refuses to eat new things because "they are icky".
    What icky things have you been putting in children's mouths lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

If they act that way, they are just proving to be snobby condescending people.
    Look down at them as if you are too, and they will shut up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Why? They asked. Taste might be subjective, but well-done for certain cuts literally degrades the meats flavor/texture.
    Which is again, your opinion.

I find it enhances the flavour.

That said, this thread has proven one thing. The vast majority of the population are opinionated snobs.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Seriously - just because I want my meat cooked, suddenly it becomes a critical issue of your existence ?
    What's the word I'm looking for.. Oh, right.

It's hyperbole. I don't care how you have your meat, I just think it's stupid and a waste of a steak. I won't cook you a steak "well-done" (more like well-burnt hyuck hyuck) but you're more than welcome to to cook it that way yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    Because it's god damned sacrilege.

Only question I have for you: Do you put sauce on your steak? Because that is the most common thing that people do when they like well-done steaks/meat.
    Couldn't possibly be because they like the taste of the sauce.

The texture of underdone beef is very unpleasant to me, which is why well done is preferable. As far as I'm concerned the steak nazis can go and die in a fire with the people who refuse to cook with wine they wouldn't drink.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just feel it's a waste. Well done tastes like any other cheap meat to me, defeats the purpose of getting a good steak to begin with.

Yeah, taste is mostly subjective, but there is an objective component here -- the more you cook the beef, the fewer of its unique characteristics remain compared to beef of any quality. At a certain temperature and duration of cooking, the top of menu steak at Ruth's Chris will trend toward being indistinguishable from one from Waffle House. And I like Waffle House as well as the next guy, but your $7.50 cut of meat costs different than your $45 cut for reasons... that won't mean anything (or nearly as much) once it's well done.

There's no hate. Your taste is exposed to criticism, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What icky things have you been putting in children's mouths lately?
    Common aversions. For example, my girlfriend doesn't like "squishy" things like mushrooms. So I made a bomber sauteed mushroom dish for her and she ate the whole thing. Turns out she'd never had anything but canned mushrooms. Even I would say icky to that, (recipe simple, sautee shrooms in peanut oil, add sake and cook off, add sesame oil, add soy sauce at the end, finish with some toasted sesame seeds and togarashi spice)

Similar with my grandfather. He hated brussels sprouts... until he tried mine. Again, recipe simple, roast sprouts with some oil, salt and pepper until mostly done. Then sautee with bacon fat some onions, add sprouts, add garlic, add white wine and cook off, add heavy cream and reduce, add lemon juice, plate with crumbled bacom as garnish.

And with me. I always hated beets. Then i got over the "icky!" phase, now I love them. Simple salad -- roasted beets, arugala, goat cheese (or feta if preferred), citrus vin, orange supremes, and spiced nuts (such as walnuts, pecans, peanuts, whatever.).

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Now stfu and eat your veggies.
    Eat every carrot and pea on your plate... one of my dad's favorite play on words when I was a kid.

i like medium well, but i dont criticize a man for a torched steak. to each their own
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

A girl I dated cooked me a steak once. I thought, wow, what a keeper. She then said she cooked it well done because she believes that's the best way to prepare a steak (rib eye).

I spat it in her face, and gave her a right hook to the chin.

If you're going to a kill a cow, at least fucking cook it right.

Probably because most people are dumb and can't get out of binary reasoning, so they can't manage to understand there is degree between "more cooked than rare" and "burnt".

Funny thing, the main claim is that the nuances of the taste are ruined when cooked beyond rare/blue/whatever their snobbishness consider the best cooking, and that everything above "taste the same". My own experience with my own taste buds is the opposite : if a meat is not cooked enough, it just has the samey raw taste regardless of its quality, while decently cooked (not charred, obviously) meat has a much more flavorous and nuanced taste, allowing to feel a big difference between qualities.
    It's as if different people have different perceptions
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    My own experience is the exact opposite, as written above.
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-01-01 at 01:01 PM.