Question Logs: Could someone help?

Would anyone mind if I sent them a PM with questions on understanding warcraft logs? Just some basic help. Thanks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaijuLizard View Post
    Would anyone mind if I sent them a PM with questions on understanding warcraft logs? Just some basic help. Thanks!
    Preach has done a video on warcraft logs basics three month ago, as long as you are a dps.

Basically, it's all about how much do you cast and uses of cds.

If you are a healer, warcraft logs is much harder to use as it depend a lot of your raid composition and how much there is to heal. Mostly, you can use it to set up raid CD, see if your rotation is correct and that is all.

Well this is what Im trying to figure out:

This is not my guild, just grabbed a ranked one from Warcraftlogs to use as an example. Going to start logging and want to understand what Im looking at.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...3&type=healing

1) So what is the difference between the number under Perf % on the left of people’s names versus the number under ILvl % on the far right near HPS?
    2) When you click a person’s name for a breakdown of their spells on a fight, is Casts the number of times a spell was actually cast? I can see that in some cases but in other cases, for example, a raid CD has 5 casts but theres no way a healer could have used 5 of their raid CDs. So not sure what Im missing.
    3) Is it possible to see how effective a raid cooldown is in terms of how many people its hitting and healing for when it goes off?
    4) When clicking Rankings and looking at your people under rankings, again, what is the difference between the far left number under Rank % versus the far right number under Bracket %?
    5) With regards to columns: Casts vs Avg Cast vs Hits vs Avg Hits – What do these explain for each spell?

Thank you for the help and sorry if these questions seem ridiculous..

1) The number on the left is comparing you to EVERYONE who has killed and logged that fight. The number on the right is comparing you to everyone within an ilvl bracket (i.e ilvl 887-889) so it is a much smaller group of people but it gives you an idea of how people at your ilvl are performing.

2) I think you are confusing "casts" with "hits" - "casts" is how many times I successfully cast a spell while "hits" is how many times it might have done damage to the boss. (i.e i might "cast" a dot 27 times but it will "hit" 400 times because it ticks. Your example of healing spells might be because something like tranquility ticks so it will "hit" multiple times but the spell is only "cast" once.

3)I cant think of a way to show that on a tab but you can go into healing and click on the spell (say tranquility) look at the time in the fight it was used then go to "damage taken" look at the time the tranquility was used and use your best judgement to see if the damage taken is worth the healing tranquility was giving while it was being cast.

4) See number 1

5) Average hits is the average damage number a spell hit for. I cast 50 mind blasts and averaging the damage they all did the average damage of one mind blast is 100.
    Average cast is just the total amount of damage a spell did over a fight divided by the number of casts of that spell.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by KaijuLizard View Post
    Well this is what Im trying to figure out:

This is not my guild, just grabbed a ranked one from Warcraftlogs to use as an example. Going to start logging and want to understand what Im looking at.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...3&type=healing

1) So what is the difference between the number under Perf % on the left of people’s names versus the number under ILvl % on the far right near HPS?
    2) When you click a person’s name for a breakdown of their spells on a fight, is Casts the number of times a spell was actually cast? I can see that in some cases but in other cases, for example, a raid CD has 5 casts but theres no way a healer could have used 5 of their raid CDs. So not sure what Im missing.
    3) Is it possible to see how effective a raid cooldown is in terms of how many people its hitting and healing for when it goes off?
    4) When clicking Rankings and looking at your people under rankings, again, what is the difference between the far left number under Rank % versus the far right number under Bracket %?
    5) With regards to columns: Casts vs Avg Cast vs Hits vs Avg Hits – What do these explain for each spell?

Thank you for the help and sorry if these questions seem ridiculous..
    Your link doesnt work, but as for your questions:

1) see Xray's answer

2) For the channeled spells, WCL will show one cast for every tick. So a single healing Penance will show 3 casts and 3 hits, while a single Divine Hymn will show 5 casts for 100 hits (assuming a 20 man raid and everyone was in range). A lower number of casts means it was interrupted for whatever reason, while a lower number of hits means people were out of range.

3) It is difficult. For the healing cd's you can look at when they were cast and the total uptick in healing done either by the healer in specific (druids and paladins with aura of mercy) or by the healers as a whole (for Divine Hymn). If a druid was doing 180k HPS during the fight, and only spiked up to 200k HPS during his Tranquility, that Tranquility was likely a waste.

For the damage reduction cd's, its harder to tell since they should produce a downtick in total healing done, but are basically only used when large amounts of damage go out.

4) See above

5) Avg cast tells you how much average healing you got each time you cast this spell or for each tick of a channeled spell (includes crits). Avg Hits tells you how much average healing it did to any single person who was hit. For a purely single target spell (Holy Word: Serenity) the two numbers should be identical. For an AoE heal (Prayer of Healing) you can see how much it did for each person hit. Was it better healing per cast than Flash Heal? (Should be). Was it better healing per hit? (Shouldn't be). That means while PoH provided more overall healing per cast, Flash Heal is better at keeping people alive. Basic example.