Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Active Mitigation is the player taking an active role in mitigating damage they receive.
    It is not limited to just dealing with the stated abilities of a boss, but in general.

    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Active_Mitigation

    As that states, some abilities "embody" active mitigation - but it isn't limited to those.
    You actively mitigating the damage you receive, through either reducing it, avoiding it, or healing it.

    It does not mean that every active mitigation is ideal for every situation, but it does not mean something ineffective in that case isn't still active mitigation.
    I find it amusing that you, after someone was bashed to the ground and disproven that the info is wrong, come here and say the exact same things and link the same article.

    There is a reason why Blur is called a defensive rather than Active Mitigation.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    What is currently called active mit is ONLY the spells that counter certain boss abilities. Example:
    Dargrul has an ability called Molten Crash. This ability is pure magic damage, and if active mit isn't up doubles the damage, and knocks the tank back. You'd think a tank would use the anti-magic mitigation, but instead DHs HAVE to use Demon Spikes to counter the double damage, and knockback. No other DH skill will work to prevent this. This is the DH active mit.
    No, you didn't read any of that then.
    Those "embody" active mitigation.
    They are not it in its entirety.

    If you want to argue with that, at least read the link I posted.

    Active Mitigation is a gameplay decision to use an ability that mitigates damage.
    That includes specific "ideal counters", but is not only those.
    It is any non-passive ability that achieves the same thing, regardless of if it is to the same degree or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naojirou View Post
    I find it amusing that you, after someone was bashed to the ground and disproven that the info is wrong, come here and say the exact same things and link the same article.

    There is a reason why Blur is called a defensive rather than Active Mitigation.
    The article states that those EMBODY active mitigation.
    It does not in any place say that those ONLY are that.
    If they are an ability a player activates manually, and they mitigate damage then they are active mitigation.
    Simple as that.

    Mitigate means reduce the effect, be that by a smaller amount or completely.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-07 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    I got a good chuckle out of the people in this thread who didn't know what the Active Mitigation mechanic is and insisted that it's any ability that mitigates damage, actively.

    Goes to show you why Vengeance has a reputation for being bad tanks.
    Because it makes perfect sense to use a physical reduction ability vs a magical ability on last boss of NL for example.

    Before you use the Adventure Journal argument: some of us started the expansion as Havoc and then switched to Vengeance so we had no idea about these. Plus is a new class with new skills and stuff.

    Anyway thanks all for the information.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    No, you didn't read any of that then.
    Those "embody" active mitigation.
    They are not it in its entirety.

    If you want to argue with that, at least read the link I posted.

    Active Mitigation is a gameplay decision to use an ability that mitigates damage.
    That includes specific "ideal counters", but is not only those.
    It is any non-passive ability that achieves the same thing, regardless of if it is to the same degree or not.



    The article states that those EMBODY active mitigation.
    It does not in any place say that those ONLY are that.
    If they are an ability a player activates manually, and they mitigate damage then they are active mitigation.
    Simple as that.

    Mitigate means reduce the effect, be that by a smaller amount or completely.
    You are arguing what words mean and not what they mean in WoW. In 2014 AM in game was what you said. Active gameplay decisions to mitigate damage. They wanted to move all tanks in that directions. Since then they have narrowed their focus and designated only 1 ability per class as the Active Mitigation ability mostly because they saw tanks didnt know what they were doing with AM and had to simplify it for them. So AM in game is not what AM should be in English. Just accept it. Thats how it is

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    No, you didn't read any of that then.
    Those "embody" active mitigation.
    They are not it in its entirety.

    If you want to argue with that, at least read the link I posted.

    Active Mitigation is a gameplay decision to use an ability that mitigates damage.
    That includes specific "ideal counters", but is not only those.
    It is any non-passive ability that achieves the same thing, regardless of if it is to the same degree or not.



    The article states that those EMBODY active mitigation.
    It does not in any place say that those ONLY are that.
    If they are an ability a player activates manually, and they mitigate damage then they are active mitigation.
    Simple as that.

    Mitigate means reduce the effect, be that by a smaller amount or completely.
    Wait, gonna try something.

    Computer means an electronic device which is capable of receiving information (data) in a particular form and of performing a sequence of operations in accordance with a predetermined but variable set of procedural instructions (program) to produce a result in the form of information or signals.

    Bug is the common name for small insects.

    And thus, Computer Bug means and only means small insect that inhabit computers.
    If they are bugs that live, and live in a computer case, they are computer bugs.
    Simple as that.

    Bug means an insect, be that a small or a medium sized one.

    There can not be any special meaning to any words and they cannot specify anything out of their literal meaning.

    Am I doing it right?

  6. #46
    The fact that this thread has already 3 pages is completely beyond the human comprehension.

  7. #47
    Field Marshal Dareous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Naojirou View Post
    Wait, gonna try something.

    Computer means an electronic device which is capable of receiving information (data) in a particular form and of performing a sequence of operations in accordance with a predetermined but variable set of procedural instructions (program) to produce a result in the form of information or signals.

    Bug is the common name for small insects.

    And thus, Computer Bug means and only means small insect that inhabit computers.
    If they are bugs that live, and live in a computer case, they are computer bugs.
    Simple as that.

    Bug means an insect, be that a small or a medium sized one.

    There can not be any special meaning to any words and they cannot specify anything out of their literal meaning.

    Am I doing it right?
    Actually, the very first computer bug ever debugged was an actual bug (moth I think) that got into the inner workings of the machine and caused things to go wonky. This is way back when a computer took up an entire room. This is where we got the term computer bugs

    http://www.computerhistory.org/tdih/September/9/

    - - - Updated - - -

    Veng Demon Hunters only "Active Mitigation" is Demon Spikes, when dealing with boss mechanics that require an active mitigation. Haven't paid attention but Demon spikes should be the only ability with the words Active Mitigation in the tooltip as well.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by UNHEILVOLL View Post
    The fact that this thread has already 3 pages is completely beyond the human comprehension.
    People love semantics.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Faenlyn View Post
    You are arguing what words mean and not what they mean in WoW. In 2014 AM in game was what you said. Active gameplay decisions to mitigate damage. They wanted to move all tanks in that directions. Since then they have narrowed their focus and designated only 1 ability per class as the Active Mitigation ability mostly because they saw tanks didnt know what they were doing with AM and had to simplify it for them. So AM in game is not what AM should be in English. Just accept it. Thats how it is
    Active Mitigation still has the same definition now as it had then.
    You want to change the defintion to suit your argument.
    Based on one class it went on to be a whole new model for tanking, one where the tank is having a role in mitigating the damage they receive.
    That is not excluding anything not a hard or hardest counter for a given boss ability, but as a whole.

    If it is actively mitigating it is active mitigation.

    You have provided nothing to show that isn't the case.

    The source does not matter, be it melee swings or a named ability.
    If you are actively doing something to mitigate that, it is active mitigaton.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-07 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  10. #50
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kul Tiras
    Posts
    1,158
    Why is this thread still active rofl. All of us get it that every single defensive ability is actively used and therefore can be reasonably considered synonimous to active mitigation (with passive being all the passive buffs tanks have) in pretty much every game.

    However, this term is reserved for a tanking mechanic in World of Warcraft.

    Molten Crash
    100 yd range
    2 sec cast
    After Landslide, The Underking swings Khaz'goroth and causes the ground to erupt from under his current target, inflicting 494000 to 546000 Nature damage.

    Tanks not using their active mitigation suffer an additional 494000 to 546000 Nature damage and are knocked back.
    Only Demon Spike counts as "Active Mitigation" by the definition of this game. Metamorphosis, Soul Barrier, Fiery Brand, and the rest are not active mitigation, they are defensive cooldowns (Demon Spikes is one too).

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Active Mitigation still has the same definition now as it had then.
    You want to change the defintion to suit your argument.
    Based on one class it went on to be a whole new model for tanking, one where the tank is having a role in mitigating the damage they receive.
    That is not excluding anything not a hard or hardest counter for a given boss ability, but as a whole.

    If it is actively mitigating it is active mitigation.

    You have provided nothing to show that isn't the case.

    The source does not matter, be it melee swings or a named ability.
    If you are actively doing something to mitigate that, it is active mitigaton.
    You are arguing based on literal definitions and ignoring game mechanics. I'm not certain where you are truly ignorant or just trolling, but either way, you're wrong.

    Musicman earlier posted an article he wrote which is fantastic, I'm going to link it here again. http://hypedragon.net/active-mitigat...rcraft-legion/

    I'm going to go a step further. He used as an example the ability "Vengeful Shear". Here is how the ability reads on WoWhead:

    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=197418/vengeful-shear
    "A deadly attack shears the target, inflicting 1228500 Physical damage. Additionally, increases damage taken by 1228500% for 25 sec if the target is not protected with active mitigation."

    (Obviously a bit of a bug, that should be a 15% damage boost, not a 1228500% damage boost.

    It also has a handy dandy little list below, where you can check what tank you're looking at. Let's look at how the wording changes for Protection Paladins, shall we?
    "
    A deadly attack shears the target, inflicting 1228500 Physical damage. Additionally, increases damage taken by 1228500% for 25 sec if the target is not protected with Shield of the Righteous."

    And now it tells us which ability is considered to be Active Mitigation for a Protection Paladin. No matter how actively I hit Guardian of Ancient Kings, Ardent Defender, Eye of Tyr, any trinket, any potion, or any other effect, only Shield of the Righteous counts as active mitigation for the purpose of negating the additional effect of Vengeful Shear.

    Furthermore, if you open the Dungeon Journal in game on any tank character, it will give you the exact same information.


    Stop spreading misinformation. Nobody cares about the literal definition of the words, this how the term "active mitigation" is used in WoW.

  12. #52
    Every melee attack is a "Death Strike," since they are all strikes attempting to cause death in the opponent. That is what the words mean. Please don't attempt to re-define the words, it's plain English.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    Every melee attack is a "Death Strike," since they are all strikes attempting to cause death in the opponent. That is what the words mean. Please don't attempt to re-define the words, it's plain English.
    <3 your signature, running that game right now for my group ^_^

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicMan View Post
    Wow, there is SO much misinformation here.

    In Legion, each tank has a designated ability that counts as "Active Mitigation" against bosses that have a Mitigation Check mechanic. If you fail to use Active Mitigation against a Boss's Mitigation Check, you receive an additional negative side effect. Examples of Mitigation Checks:

    * 2nd Boss in BRH has "Vengeful Shear" and if she lands it on you and you don't actively mitigate it, you take 100% extra damage as a debuff.
    * Last Boss in Nelth Lair, "Molten Crash" if you fail to actively mitigate it, you fly far, far away when he hits you.
    * God King Skovald in HoV, "Savage Blade" if you fail to actively mitigate it, you take a bleed over time
    * First Boss in Vault of the Wardens, "Dark Strikes", if you fail to mitigate it, the boss gets a damage absorb shield

    For Demon Hunters, the designated Active Mitigation ability is "Demon Spikes". To my knowledge, every tank has only ONE ability that counts as "Active Mitigation" against Mitigation Checks. Yes, there are other "active abilities" that "mitigate" but they are not considered "Active Mitigation" for Mitigation Checks. I.E. Warrior's Active Mitigation is "Shield Block", while Ignore Pain does NOT count for Mitigation Checks. Similarly, Demon Hunter's "Fiery Brand" does not count for Mitigation Checks.

    To answer OP's question, no, Soul Barrier does not count as Active Mitigation.
    I will just quote this again for the sake of newcomers.

  15. #55
    This lovely thread lead to someone making a little guide explaining Active Mitigation. (No it's not me or anyone I know, I'm not advertising anything, it just answers the question well).

    http://hypedragon.net/active-mitigat...rcraft-legion/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •