Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Does soul barrier count as active mitigation?

Just as the title says. Does it count as AM when its needed against certain abilities?

Deleted
    Active mitigation skills don't really exist anymore.
    Check the encounter journal, it will tell you which skill to use to counter each specific boss attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardawn View Post
    Check the encounter journal, it will tell you which skill to use to counter each specific boss attack.
    Uhhh lots of fights still require active mitigation skills to avoid mechanics. As for OPs question, I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

why not??? im using it to mitigate mechanics.

Yes, of course. You have to activate it, so it's active, not passive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardawn View Post
    You have no idea.
    Active Mitigation is that which does not happen passively.
    Armor on gear is passive, resistance gear is passive, soul leech on a warlock for example.
    If you press a button to have the effect of mitigation, then it is active.
    Be that a heal or a reduction, or avoidance of something incoming.

It does not matter how you know what to do, its the fact you still do something to mitigate whatever it is.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-04 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Derailing: This having to use active mitigation shit to ignore an annoying AF arbitrary mechanic can go away now. No, I don't need to uuse a defensive Dargul, please dont boot me across the fuckin room. At least I can charge back. Annoying if I'm not payin attention on my DK tho

"Active Mitigation" is a term used for primary mitigation abilities used by tanks that the devs decided are the primary ones.
    It is referring to what you would use against abilities like the Dargul example, where if you have AM up then you don't get smacked away during his Magma attack.
    For us, Demon Spikes is our active mitigation iirc.

Technically anything that you have to cast is active, however Active Mitigation is a separate type of ability. As stated previously, dungeon journal tells you what abilities require Active Mitigation and what abilities are the AM for each tank.

Wow, there is SO much misinformation here.

In Legion, each tank has a designated ability that counts as "Active Mitigation" against bosses that have a Mitigation Check mechanic. If you fail to use Active Mitigation against a Boss's Mitigation Check, you receive an additional negative side effect. Examples of Mitigation Checks:

* 2nd Boss in BRH has "Vengeful Shear" and if she lands it on you and you don't actively mitigate it, you take 100% extra damage as a debuff.
    * Last Boss in Nelth Lair, "Molten Crash" if you fail to actively mitigate it, you fly far, far away when he hits you.
    * God King Skovald in HoV, "Savage Blade" if you fail to actively mitigate it, you take a bleed over time
    * First Boss in Vault of the Wardens, "Dark Strikes", if you fail to mitigate it, the boss gets a damage absorb shield

For Demon Hunters, the designated Active Mitigation ability is "Demon Spikes". To my knowledge, every tank has only ONE ability that counts as "Active Mitigation" against Mitigation Checks. Yes, there are other "active abilities" that "mitigate" but they are not considered "Active Mitigation" for Mitigation Checks. I.E. Warrior's Active Mitigation is "Shield Block", while Ignore Pain does NOT count for Mitigation Checks. Similarly, Demon Hunter's "Fiery Brand" does not count for Mitigation Checks.

To answer OP's question, no, Soul Barrier does not count as Active Mitigation.
    Last edited by MetalMusicMan; 2017-01-04 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicMan View Post

In Legion, each tank has a designated ability that counts as "Active Mitigation" against bosses that have a Mitigation Check mechanic. If you fail to use Active Mitigation against a Boss's Mitigation Check, you receive an additional negative side effect. Examples of Mitigation Checks:

* 2nd Boss in BRH has "Vengeful Shear" and if she lands it on you and you don't actively mitigate it, you take 100% extra damage as a debuff.
    * Last Boss in Nelth Lair, "Molten Crash" if you fail to actively mitigate it, you fly far, far away when he hits you.
    * God King Skovald in HoV, "Savage Blade" if you fail to actively mitigate it, you take a bleed over time
    * First Boss in Vault of the Wardens, "Dark Strikes", if you fail to mitigate it, the boss gets a damage absorb shield

For Demon Hunters, the designated Active Mitigation ability is "Demon Spikes". To my knowledge, every tank has only ONE ability that counts as "Active Mitigation" against Mitigation Checks. Yes, there are other "active abilities" that "mitigate" but they are not considered "Active Mitigation" for Mitigation Checks. I.E. Warrior's Active Mitigation is "Shield Block", while Ignore Pain does NOT count for Mitigation Checks. Similarly, Demon Hunter's "Fiery Brand" does not count for Mitigation Checks.

Thats all i wanted to know lol. Thanks

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Soul Barrier is active Mitigation. Since you have to actively use it to Mitigate Damage.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Active_Mitigation

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicMan View Post

What the fuck gibberish is that. In your Words, Wow, there is SO much misinformation here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post

What the fuck gibberish is that. In your Words, Wow, there is SO much misinformation here.

He's correct you dingbat

Yes, Soul Barrier is active Mitigation. Since you have to actively use it to Mitigate Damage.

You literally responded with an article that is still talking about Guard for BrM Monks. Everything MetalMusicMan said is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, everything he said there is true. For the last boss in Neltharion's Lair, for instance. While tanking as a bear I have two moves. One which increases my armor and one which reduces my magic damage taken. The move the guy mentioned is magical damage, do you'd think you'd want to use the second one. Thing is, only the first one is actually an active mitigation. If I use the armor one, which is considered active mitigation, I take the normal hit but don't fly. If I use the second one, which isn't considered active mitigation, I go flying.

But yes, that page is majorly, MAJORLY out of date.

Although there are many spells that a tank can use to mitigate damage, for mechanics that say they need to use active mitigation to mitigate something only a few spells that count, at least one for each tank class.
    Last edited by cparle87; 2017-01-05 at 02:41 AM.

Active mitigation as in demon spikes.
    Most times it's a term used for defensive spells you have to activate yourself.
    But nowadays it's more a term for using your "take less dmg" spell to avoid effects.

like the demon hunter lady in BRH that does dmg as a bleed if you don't use a defensive spell like demon spikes or shieldblock ect.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    Active mitigation as in demon spikes.
    Most times it's a term used for defensive spells you have to activate yourself.
    But nowadays it's more a term for using your "take less dmg" spell to avoid effects.

like the demon hunter lady in BRH that does dmg as a bleed if you don't use a defensive spell like demon spikes or shieldblock ect.
    Using a specific ability for 1 Mechanic doesn't make all your other active mitigation abilities not active mitigation abilities. Any ability which is activated by the player which reduces the damage you take is Active Mitigation. Most tanks have 3-5 of them. Of course you wouldn't use a Physical mitigation ability against magic damage, but that doesn't make it not an Active mitigation ability. Having to use a specific ability for a specific mechanic makes it Reactive.

Using a specific ability for 1 Mechanic doesn't make all your other active mitigation abilities not active mitigation abilities.
    It literally does. Your information is outdated. In Legion, the only moves that are "Active Mitigation" are the ones that satisfy mitigation checks. Other moves that are "active" and mitigate damage but do NOT satisfy mitigation checks are just... "moves" now.

You're getting caught up in a semantic argument because the developers are using the term "Active Mitigation" in Legion for something specific, whereas in previous versions they used it in a broad way.

Great info MetalMusicMan, thanks.

Using a specific ability for 1 Mechanic doesn't make all your other active mitigation abilities not active mitigation abilities. Any ability which is activated by the player which reduces the damage you take is Active Mitigation. Most tanks have 3-5 of them. Of course you wouldn't use a Physical mitigation ability against magic damage, but that doesn't make it not an Active mitigation ability. Having to use a specific ability for a specific mechanic makes it Reactive.
    I know you're desperately needing to be right and as such are resorting to being a pedantic literalist - yes, I know that's a redundancy - but really, for your own sake let it go.

Active mitigation as defined by Blizzard is a specific tool by tanks to avoid a specific ability by mobs. Just activating an ability that mitigates damage doesn't count.

Why?

Because it's often not damage you're attempting to mitigate. You're attempting to mitigate a debuff.

So there you go.

Now hush!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dear lord are some people obnoxious in this forum.

From OP's post, it is obvious that he is talking for the tanking mechanic called "Active Mitigation" which is used to specifically counter boss abilities rather than what common sense would called an active mitigation ability. As other have said, for Demon Hunters, the only form of "Active Mitigation" is Demon Spikes. Fiery Brand, Metamorphosis, and Soul Barrier although are mostly non-passive forms of mitigation do not counter these mechanics.

However, the confusion is understandable since Blizzard didn't bother adding "Counts as active mitigation" to the eligible abilities such as Demon Spike. It is even worse in the case of Death Knights that have a completely non-sense form of active mitigation in the form of "Recently Used Death Strike" (procs for around 4 seconds by Death Strike and Marrowrend) which doesn't even proc when fighting against target dummies.