Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Oh cmon Dex you're smarter than this.
    I can't be (not )surprised someone that said Trump couldn't be credited with Ford is blaming Trump for this?

Brick and mortar retail is going to die because it can't compete with Amazon and all the up and coming online delivery companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Skazord View Post
    Funny that Macy's was doing pretty well and hitting highs, up until they decided to openly diss Trump, essentially picking a political side, something a company should never openly do anyway, for the most part.

Their stocks are down 50% since then, merely 3 months ago.

I'm not really picking a side here, but when you commit public suicide like that, you should kind of expect it to bite you in the ass soon enough. And it did.
    Mm. A lot of people - including those in charge of big businesses - have fooled themselves into believing that only their political beliefs matter and that anybody who doesn't subscribe to those same beliefs happen to be the worst people ever. It's good to see that such tactics are starting to backfire.

I loathe the whole 'only X matters' mentality that has infested politics, especially in recent years where it has become nastier on both 'sides' of the prominent 'Left vs Right' split.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I can't be (not )surprised someone that said Trump couldn't be credited with Ford is blaming Trump for this?
    Yeesh ima just let you do your thing man.

Yeesh ima just let you do your thing man.
    Okay, white night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only someone who was born yesterday would not have seen Sears going out of business for the last 5 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Only someone who was born yesterday would not have seen Sears going out of business for the last 5 yrs.
    Sears can atleast glob onto malls to stay alive. Kmart is fucking done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, white night.
    Odd choice of insult given the context of this thread but alright

Odd choice of insult given the context of this thread but alright
    You engaged me to look better to Nixx. I don't know what's confusing about that. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    But let's stop there. The purpose of this thread is to expose the extensive confirmation bias from self-identified Trump supporters that has plagued just about every news story about a business succeeding in the past few weeks.

If Trump is responsible for those successes, then he must also be responsible for these failures. Now, any rational person would reject both of these arguments - Trump isn't in office yet, and businesses don't plan colossal changes to their strategies on the basis of a few words from an incurable liar;
    This is utter nonsense. The stock market functions on expectations. The new leader of the free world being Trump instead of Clinton changed a lot of expectations. Your insane assertion that the stock market somehow was responding negatively when Trump was first announced (market correction, think of all those people invested in Clinton) but also wasn't responding later when it took a huge up-swing is pretty unconvincing.

Some things definitely can be tied to Trump and his rhetoric. Carrier negotiating a deal that prevents them from being exclusively targeted by the Trump administration for moving their manufacturing out of the country can absolutely be credited to Trump and his rhetoric.

Does that mean Trump is responsible for my cancer going into remission? No.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Come on Trump supporters!! All of you that gave him credit for Ford's hiring plans, the time to speak up and give Trump credit for this is now!!!
    Ahem, I think B.O. is still prez. The stuff Trump interferes with should be what he gets credit for.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

10+ Year Old Account
    You engaged me to look better to Nixx. I don't know what's confusing about that. /shrug
    Lol uh all I said is you fell for obvious bait

Macy's Closing 68 Stores, KMart/Sears Closing 150 - Obama? Macy's Closing 68 Stores, KMart/Sears Closing 150 - Jesus?

Macy's Closing 68 Stores, KMart/Sears Closing 150 - Endus? Macy's Closing 68 Stores, KMart/Sears Closing 150 - Tobey Maguire?

Why is this even a thread? I don't think Trump held sway in Carrier or Ford but you could at least make the connection based on his harsh rhetoric towards businesses outsourcing jobs. But blaming Trump for Macy's is equivalent to blaming Obama for Sports Authority. This is clearly a Trump-bait thread and there is no worthwhile discussion to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Your insane assertion that the stock market somehow was responding negatively when Trump was first announced (market correction, think of all those people invested in Clinton) but also wasn't responding later when it took a huge up-swing is pretty unconvincing.
    We live in a world where Russia hacked the election but didn't hack any emails.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "my team" mentality in politics is horrible.

It's a natural reaction to defend someone you like. I think it's also a pretty natural reaction to perceive an attack against someone you voted for as an attack against your own personal judgement.

So we get really defensive. And we start defending things that shouldn't be defended. Or attributing positive things to individuals that don't deserve the credit.

And I have no idea how we fix it.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Yes all sane people know this. But its sooo entertaining to watch the Trumpists blame non-Trump factors when in other threads the Trumpists were giving all credit for job creation to Trump.
    Haha, almost like Obama. Oh wait, did I say that?
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Bomba View Post
    I don't think Trump held sway in Carrier or Ford but you could at least make the connection based on his harsh rhetoric towards businesses outsourcing jobs.
    Trump can suck a dick with that rhetoric. Until him and his daughter shut down every business with their name tied to it which is not located in the U.S., they are hypocrits and cannot be trusted at all regarding domestic/international manufacturing.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    These major American brands are closing stores all across the country. The timing of these closures brings to question the perceived effect of a Trump presidency on the stability of American consumerism.

But let's stop there. The purpose of this thread is to expose the extensive confirmation bias from self-identified Trump supporters that has plagued just about every news story about a business succeeding in the past few weeks.

If Trump is responsible for those successes, then he must also be responsible for these failures. Now, any rational person would reject both of these arguments - Trump isn't in office yet, and businesses don't plan colossal changes to their strategies on the basis of a few words from an incurable liar; the most they would do is use his election as an excuse for their already-laid plans in order to sway national opinion or gain publicity. But for some reason, select individuals feel the need to justify their support for a candidate by irrational means, as if their own reputation were at stake.

An almost hypothetical question to discuss: Do you think the team mentality that has infiltrated American politics is beneficial to the political decisionmaking process?

Sources:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...Y7K/story.html

http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...sing_list.html
    I have a nagging feeling that they're not closing stores cus they're lacking for money. They just wanna save money. Close stores, fire employees. Gotta buy yourself another million dollar home.

Lol uh all I said is you fell for obvious bait
    It's not bait if the person means it. And Nixx means it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What are you saying? That you don't post solely to endear yourself to me? That's absurd.
    Oh crap Nixx!! Sorry M'lord I spoke out of line