Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I wish people understood how the government work instead giving presidents all the blame/credit.
    Holy shit in heaven, this so much. I don't know where people get the imagination that the potus is playing this country like an rts game. Economic strength has numerous variables and is far too complex for any person to take credit for.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Local anecdote is that there's not enough people to hire for the current wages. Can't drive down the main strip without seeing at least 3 or 4 "help wanted" signs out front. Hasn't looked like (outside of seasonal) since Clinton at least.
    Business's are having a hard time finding people willing to work part time at minimum wage job? The economy must be booming! Thanks Obama!

Must be all those people who gave up looking......at 65....lol

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ring-in-droves

The exodus of the baby boomers from the work force resumes

The number of Americans aged 65 or older without a disability that aren't in the labor force rose by 800,000 in the fourth quarter of 2016, marking the resumption of a long-standing trend: the exodus of their generation from the work force and into retirement.

For more than five years, the six-month trend for this figure — a significant demographic source of downward pressure on the headline labor force participation rate — had been heading higher, before plateauing for most of 2016. The labor force participation rate for this cohort tanked by a full percentage point, to 23.6 percent, in the final quarter of the year.

Whether a larger share of senior citizens had previously been incented to remain in their jobs by higher wages or by a need to keep working in order to rebuild their nest eggs after the financial crisis is still an open question. But the recent non-farm payroll reports affirm that the secular trend of rising retirements can only be delayed for so long.

yes! changing a full time job for 3 part time jobs means there's 2 additional jobs!!
    GO OBAMA!

Quote Originally Posted by mmolurker View Post
    yes! changing a full time job for 3 part time jobs means there's 2 additional jobs!!
    GO OBAMA!
    That literally happened to me though I did it by choice and I'm better off with the part time jobs. Thats actually how the math works though.

7+ Year Old Account
    - WORKFORCE PARTICIPATION (the new boogy man)
    - low wage jobs
    -they just gave up looking
    -fake numbers......did i miss any??
    So if 90% of the workforce stopped trying/reporting, and you wanted to claim 1% unemployment because 1% of those reporting were unemployed, would you claim that scenario proved successful governance?

I'm just wondering what percentage of workforce participation you feel is acceptable and how much should be ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Thanks Obama
    Yes, damn Obama and his magical time machine, going back and making all those post-WWII people bump uglies and have lots of babies, causing the baby boom, just so that in 65 years, they'd start retiring and you could blame Obama for the fact that people age.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes, damn Obama and his magical time machine, going back and making all those post-WWII people bump uglies and have lots of babies, causing the baby boom, just so that in 65 years, they'd start retiring and you could blame Obama for the fact that people age.

Actually, the main reason the labor force participation rate (LFPR) has fallen has been a drop in the LFPR among prime age workers (ages 25–54). This peaked in 2000 at 82.8 percent in early 2000. In September of 2015 it bottomed out at 79.2 percent, 3.6 percentage points below its 2000 peak. The drop in LFPR in the recession and weak recovery has been primarily a story of workers in their prime working years leaving the labor force, not baby boomers retiring or young people staying in school longer.
    http://cepr.net/blogs/beat-the-press...-participation

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Business's are having a hard time finding people willing to work part time at minimum wage job? The economy must be booming! Thanks Obama!
    Jokes on you, I get paid more than minimum wage and followed one of those help wanted signs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    Isn't that already Trump's influence? He twitters like mad for jobs.
    One +like equals one job, re-tweet to keep another company from going overseas!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Obama
    Unsourced infographics are always the best way to form opinions about things.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that doesn't get into the why of it, and it straight-up ignores that the demographic bubble is a contributor, it's just not the whole story.

There's a host of reasons, but basically none of them are "the economy is tanking, DOOM AND CATASTROPHE"; http://equitablegrowth.org/research-...-path-forward/

Thanks Obama

Really the labor force participation rate is a double edged sword. The ones that are troubling are the ones not working receiving government benefits at the same time. There is an argument to be made that in the late 70's when you start seeing women enter the workforce was a big factor in raising that rate, which isn't necessarily a good thing. You can see the "self-absorbed self-entitled" Millenial generation being born right around the same time that the participation rate peaked because thats when their parents stopped raising them and started shoving them in daycare.

Trumpy has increased my Stocks in my retirement fund by $8000
    since he came into power.

I had $150,000 in a retirement fund in November..now its $158k

Thanks to International Shares and Australian Shares.

Basically, Trumpy is going to do something with the economy that he does
    with some of the Beautiful women he hangs out with... Hes going to STIMULATE it

Thanks Obama

Can't, don't, won't own it.

Somebody else's fault, everybody else's fault, nobody's fault.

Quick, bring in the rationalization squad to figure this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    So if 90% of the workforce stopped trying/reporting, and you wanted to claim 1% unemployment because 1% of those reporting were unemployed, would you claim that scenario proved successful governance?

I'm just wondering what percentage of workforce participation you feel is acceptable and how much should be ignored.
    the historical norm is around 59-60%, prior to the baby boom statistical anomaly.

nothing can stop this from going back to those numbers, unless everyone over 70 just magically dies and kids drop out of college fast.

that is why this number is bunk when it comes to measurements because of the anomaly is not leveled at all in all these reports, its raw data.

- - - Updated - - -

no one said it was the ONLY reason.

Actually, the main reason the labor force participation rate (LFPR) has fallen has been a drop in the LFPR among prime age workers (ages 25–54). This peaked in 2000 at 82.8 percent in early 2000. In September of 2015 it bottomed out at 79.2 percent, 3.6 percentage points below its 2000 peak

do you know why? because the baby boomers have aged past 54 years old.

https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_303.htm
    Civilian labor force participation rate by age, gender, race, and ethnicity

55 and older

1994 30.1%
    2004 36.2%
    2014 40.0%

so while your 25-54 decreased by 3.6% points, it increased by 4% in the next bracket.
    i wonder where your 3.6% went.

55-64
    1994- 56.8%
    2004- 62.3%
    2014- 64.1%

This is the problem when these articles, and the people who read them don't look at the whole picture

The drop in LFPR in the recession and weak recovery has been primarily a story of workers in their prime working years leaving the labor force, not baby boomers retiring or young people staying in school longer.

lol people 25-54 ARE part of the baby boomers. they are retiring at a level faster then the labor market can replenish them

The number of entrants into the labor force is thus anticipated to be 2.5 million more than in the previous decade. However, 3.2 million more people are expected to leave the labor force, mainly as a result of aging and retirement.

i don't know why people keep looking at these slanted articles picking a single peace when the BLS site gives you all the data and the full analysis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Trumpy has increased my Stocks in my retirement fund by $8000
    since he came into power.

I had $150,000 in a retirement fund in November..now its $158k

Thanks to International Shares and Australian Shares.

Basically, Trumpy is going to do something with the economy that he does
    with some of the Beautiful women he hangs out with... Hes going to STIMULATE it

really, but you are not going to thank obama for the 171% increase (before the trump bump) in the same stock market since he "TOOK POWER" IN 2009?
    not sure how much more stimulus the stock market can give without it considered being a bubble.

http://www.macrotrends.net/2481/stoc...e-by-president

even before the Trump bump, he is on par with Reagan, killed Bush, behind Clinton
    beat Nixon, Johnson, first bush, on par with Eisenhower, beat Truman, par with Roosevelt.....

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Well, a few years ago they weren't hiring. Now they can't hire fast enough.

These aren't just the minimum wage jobs either, but salaried management.