Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Red face More than 'mom-in-chief': Michelle Obama bows out as dynamic first lady

With tears in her eyes and her voice cracking with emotion, the self-declared “mom-in-chief” stepped off the public stage on Friday with her final speech as first lady, urging young Americans to believe in the “power of hope”.

Michelle Obama, who began her White House years pursuing the typically soft subjects that have often limited the wives of presidents, ended with a clarion call for diversity and vowing to make it her life’s work to help disadvantaged children get to college, a personal mission that has its roots in her own Chicago childhood.

In a deeply emotional reflection on what lies ahead for the US in the era of President Donald Trump, she sent a clear message to young people to rise above division, anger and bigotry, no matter what they look like, their background or religion.

“My final message to young people as first lady is simple. I want our young people to know that they matter, that they belong ... Don’t be afraid, be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered. Empower yourself with a good education ... then build a country worthy of your boundless promise.”

The sign-off in the East Room of the White House ended with her being engulfed in hugs from school counsellors from across the US whom she celebrated for the crucial support they give to students in their darkest moments.

It was also a moment to mark the eight-year journey she has made to become an impassioned political figure in her own right. She has never stood for office, but there were times in the final weeks of the US election campaign when it seemed possible that she could run for president and win.

She had taken the fight to Donald Trump, telling a Hillary Clinton rally in New Hampshire that his boasts about sexually assaulting women had shaken her to her core. “This is not normal. This is not politics as usual. This is disgraceful. It is intolerable,” she said in a speech which revealed a toughness and an ability to connect with an audience to rival her own husband’s gifts.

Speaking in Philadelphia from the same platform as Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, she emerged as the true star of the Democratic convention, moving the audience to tears as she spoke about the possibility of the first female president, and her own family’s journey from slavery to the White House.

Drawing powerfully on her own family history – her great-great-grandfather lived as a slave – she spoke of “the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves.

“And I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women playing with their dogs on the White House lawn.”

Ever since Martha Washington complained that she felt like a state prisoner, the role of the first lady has traditionally been seen as a confining one, where elegance comes first and controversy is best avoided.

And Michelle Obama’s White House years began typically – as a self-styled mom-in-chief, with two daughters aged 10 and seven, advocating a healthy-living agenda.

She turned a far corner of the White House grounds into a vegetable garden and brought children from some of Washington’s poorest schools to help her plant broccoli.
    She also delightful with her irreverent willingness to drop convention – joining in with an Evolution of Mom Dancing routine on the talkshow Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, to promote her Let’s Move fitness push and later, getting in the passenger seat for Carpool Karaoke with James Corden to promote her Let Girls Learn global education campaign.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...acy-first-lady

I especially liked her push towards healthy diets and more active school kids.
    To see her whose great grandfather was a slave, in the white house means so much to minorities in the U.S.

Can't say I know a great deal about Michelle Obama as I'm over in sunny ol' England.

Does someone want to share what she's done to have such a big impact and why so many liberals believe that she'd make such a great POTUS?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Can't say I know a great deal about Michelle Obama as I'm over in sunny ol' England.

Does someone want to share what she's done to have such a big impact and why so many liberals believe that she'd make such a great POTUS?
    We have her to thank for a bunch of memes about the conspiracy theory that she is secretly a man.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    We have her to thank for a bunch of memes about the conspiracy theory that she is secretly a man.
    Well, if she is a man, then Obama must be SUPER progressive for a Muslim from Kenya :'D
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Too bad she's not a politican type. She's actually likeable unlike Clinton.

She's likeable and liberal.

That's pretty much it to be honest.. Welcome to American politics.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

She said she was proud of America after 8 years of a Republican in office.

But now after 8 years of a Democrat in office she says she's lost all hope.

Lulz.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Yes, I will miss Michelle's broad shoulders that helped lift the burden of unhealthy school lunches. Her strong handsome appearance was an asset to President Obama when meeting foreign dignitaries as it took the focus off President Obama during casual meet and greets. She always was dressed appropriately and really showed a mysterious side to her that was quite alluring, like she had a secret and you were obsessed with finding it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    She said she was proud of America after 8 years of a Republican in office.

But now after 8 years of a Democrat in office she says she's lost all hope.

Lulz.
    Are you still trying to turn this into a thing? Because misrepresenting the context in which she made those comments is getting kinda old, dude.

Conservative cucks getting triggered that Michelle can bench more than they themselves can. Manlets! Sad!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida

Making fat kids cry by making crappy school lunches crappier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are you still trying to turn this into a thing? Because misrepresenting the context in which she made those comments is getting kinda old, dude.
    Just let him be, it's one of the few things that warms his cold, sad heart.

That and hot pockets. Fucking hot pockets coming out of the microwave at like 1000000 degrees, I mean ffs

Unlike clinton, Michelle Obama would soar to the presidency if she ever ran.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I had no real issue with Obama for most of his run. Michelle was just a self-righteous bitch half the time.

Fat kids protested her smaller school lunch portions.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Conservative cucks getting triggered that Michelle can bench more than they themselves can. Manlets! Sad!
    Many such cases!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Making fat kids cry by making crappy school lunches crappier
    Sounds like a good idea. We need to fight obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Unlike clinton, Michelle Obama would soar to the presidency if she ever ran.
    Give me some of what this guy is having.

I need to ride the lightening and start believing in fantasies.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Give me some of what this guy is having.

I need to ride the lightening and start believing in fantasies.
    I mean these idiots elected trump. The orange orangutan to the presidency.

Imagine if someone people actually liked ran against him.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Fat kids protested her smaller school lunch portions.
    lol are those skin colored mini michelin men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.