Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a programmer? Go home and write a virus to destroy the AI I just created.

I really can't ever see my job being replaced... then again part of my job is servicing and repairing robots..

Start a war.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The scenario in the OP is actually kind of nightmarish. It's the ultimate stagnation of the human race, the end of our civilization. If we no longer dream to do better because robots are doing everything, then our entire progression as a race has been for nothing. It's like we reach a certain point, then give up and retire. And that's the end of us.

In 50 years I'll be 82 and too old to do anything about it, but if I were young enough I would start a revolution. Even if it means setting science back hundreds of years, it's better than a future where we all just exist in equal poverty. A future where we have stopped dreaming, stopped trying to build and surrendered all our ambition because all our basics are covered is no future I want for my son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Scenario: it's 50 years from now
    I'm 81 and don't give a damn about "work" since I spend my day playing video games and playing the flute anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    A future where we have stopped dreaming, stopped trying to build and surrendered all our ambition because all our basics are covered is no future I want for my son.
    Just because we don't have to struggle for survival and don't waste 66% of our lives on basic menial tasks to keep things running, doesn't mean we won't be able to dream and try to better ourselves.

Scientific research cannot be done by AI. Creativity (music/art) cannot be done by AI.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I'll be retired (or dead) by then. So, I don't really care. The more automation, sooner rather than later, I am all-for.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I'm a Ancient History researcher/Museum organizer, so my job is garanteed with the eventual automatization of the society.
    No it isn't. Anything that is based on knowledge will be the first things replaced by AI. Why hire someone to do research on History where their expertise is limited by the limitations of their own brain when you can buy an AI that is has been loaded with knowledge from ALL historians. Not only will it be an expert in your field but an expert in all fields.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

thankfully the field I'm studying to go into wont be touched by automation too much, hell if anything it might make things easier for the people working in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan on doing oceanography research so that might be safe from AI. I'd also like to take a crack at fish and wildlife services so that might be safe too for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    thankfully the field I'm studying to go into wont be touched by automation too much, hell if anything it might make things easier for the people working in it.
    What career can't be replaced by AI + robots?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

What career can't be replaced by AI + robots?
    I mean if they create a program that can edit videos and audio together without any human input suure I'll be out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I mean if they create a program that can edit videos and audio together without any human input suure I'll be out of a job.
    Jobs done 100% on computer will be the first to go.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    No it isn't. Anything that is based on knowledge will be the first things replaced by AI. Why hire someone to do research on History where their expertise is limited by the limitations of their own brain when you can buy an AI that is has been loaded with knowledge from ALL historians. Not only will it be an expert in your field but an expert in all fields.
    Because 1) ancient history researching and investigating isn't just data compilation, it's actually built on possible theories that goes beyond the data collected and 2) museum organizer is a creative job.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    The scenario in the OP is actually kind of nightmarish. It's the ultimate stagnation of the human race, the end of our civilization. If we no longer dream to do better because robots are doing everything, then our entire progression as a race has been for nothing. It's like we reach a certain point, then give up and retire. And that's the end of us.

In 50 years I'll be 82 and too old to do anything about it, but if I were young enough I would start a revolution. Even if it means setting science back hundreds of years, it's better than a future where we all just exist in equal poverty. A future where we have stopped dreaming, stopped trying to build and surrendered all our ambition because all our basics are covered is no future I want for my son.
    The less shitty way to think about that is that without the constraint of needing to work a job to provide for yourself or your family, you have the freedom to do as you please. Pursue creative endeavors. Invent something new. It could be the dawn of a new age of humanity when people can no longer be controlled through permanent poverty.

Play some wow.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I really can't ever see my job being replaced... then again part of my job is servicing and repairing robots..
    There are at least two companies that I know of which are researching your respective replacements--the most public one being Google. Google took disservices bots from their acquisition of a few robotics companies and began researching/creating computer vision powered repair bots. I forget the articles/video, but it was from one of their original Google Brain guys, so it's worthy to note that you're very likely wrong about the immunity of your profession from automation.

Even on the AI programming end, there have been steps--albeit more naive steps--to automating machine learning (source).

when it comes to creating art AI is never going to replace a human.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    In 50 years everyone over the age of 15 now (maybe even younger) will already be retired. So I'll be enjoying retirement, if I'm still alive.

Also, if you've watched any Newsreel videos in the 1950's of how they expected life to be in the 1980's living like The Jetsons, people often tend to overestimate advancement timelines. Definitely a lot of automation is coming, and not that far off. Certain jobs like taxi drivers are going obsolete, and once autonomous vehicles are common in 5-10 years the Uber/Lyft drivers will be out of a job too. Same for truck drivers. Fast food workers may be in that situation too.

But not every single job can be automated, or easily automated. Some jobs lend themselves to automation, but other jobs have decision points that need to be made that won't lend themselves to being done by AI. Lesser skilled jobs will feel the hurt the most. And again that's not far off, it's happening now and will be far worse in 5-10 years. It's why it's important for younger folks to make sure they are getting an education to give them a skill that's not easily automated (or outsourced). I can see automating a burger cook in a McDonald's to be done by machine. But I can't see automating an RN in a nursing home, or a dentist, or plumber, or project manager in an office...at least in our working lifetimes.

One other important bit to add. As technology evolves jobs tend to change all the time. It's not doom and gloom and it doesn't mean there will be millions out of work. 50 years ago there were telephone switchboard operators, milkmen, etc. that were common jobs (a few still get milk delivery but you get my point). And although those jobs went away, other jobs began in things like cable tv/satellite, information technology, cell phone services, etc. So even if in the future some careers will go away, other new ones that we can't even imagine now will develop.
    Last edited by Auxora; 2017-01-10 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but creative AI is probably a bit off. Editing videos is a lot more than just splicing a video together