Frost DK Or Retr (Solo BG)

I see both builds in every BG but DKF seem to venture out solo much more, any one else notice that or has thoughts on that?

Deleted
    Both have quite similar strengths and weaknesses imo in random BGs. Both classes have very strong sustained damage and often come out near the top in "damage done". Both classes can survive quite well at the frontline. Rets can immune all damage (bubble) and DKs can immune magic damage (AMS). Both got abilites with Legion that let them get out of the frontline fast (steed for ret and wraith walk for DK).

Both have the burst to kill someone fast with CDs. Rets are a bit better at that though, because they have an instant stun and the "bigger" damage CD (but on a longer CD).

Both suffer from bad mobility and have problems to catch up with kiting healers like MW Monks or Resto Druids. In rated BGs DKs are used A LOT more simply due to death grip which makes them perfect as a TC. I think these two classes play VERY similar in "solo BG" and I think they are your best bet if you want to go the "tanky melee DPS" route.

Personally I prefer WW Monk over both of them for solo melee DPS. WW Monks have way better mobility which makes them stronger at killing flag carriers that kite you or carrying flags themselves. Their defensive is quite a bit weaker though compared to DK and Ret and Monks cannot stay at the frontlines as long as them. They have to play a bit more with kiting and usually don't do as much overall damage as DK and Ret.

Demon Hunters are kind of middle ground between Ret/DK and WW Monk. Their mobility is better than Ret/DK but worse than WW. Their defense is stronger than WW (outside of Karma) but weaker than Ret/DK (because no immunities). Their overall damage is usually on par with Ret/DK.

- - - Updated - - -

Both have quite similar strengths and weaknesses imo in random BGs. Both classes have very strong sustained damage and often come out near the top in "damage done". Both classes can survive quite well at the frontline. Rets can immune all damage (bubble) and DKs can immune magic damage (AMS). Both got abilites with Legion that let them get out of the frontline fast (steed for ret and wraith walk for DK).

Both have the burst to kill someone fast with CDs. Rets are a bit better at that though, because they have an instant stun and the "bigger" damage CD (but on a longer CD).

Both suffer from bad mobility and have problems to catch up with kiting healers like MW Monks or Resto Druids. In rated BGs DKs are used A LOT more simply due to death grip which makes them perfect as a TC. I think these two classes play VERY similar in "solo BG" and I think they are your best bet if you want to go the "tanky melee DPS" route.

Personally I prefer WW Monk over both of them for solo melee DPS. WW Monks have way better mobility which makes them stronger at killing flag carriers that kite you or carrying flags themselves. Their defensive is quite a bit weaker though compared to DK and Ret and Monks cannot stay at the frontlines as long as them. They have to play a bit more with kiting and usually don't do as much overall damage as DK and Ret.

Demon Hunters are kind of middle ground between Ret/DK and WW Monk. Their mobility is better than Ret/DK but worse than WW. Their defense is stronger than WW (outside of Karma) but weaker than Ret/DK (because no immunities). Their overall damage is usually on par with Ret/DK.

10+ Year Old Account
    For solo I'd go Pally. They have a shit ton of survivability tools (Horse mobility >>>> Wraith Walk, 2 bubbles, a damage absorption shield, self heals at will, BoF/bubble + Mount CD = great escape tool) with about the same burst as a DK.

DKs have a lot more cleave/aoe damage, so if you could get a healer friend to go with you, the DK would be the way to go.

Edit: Like the above poster mentioned, DHs and Monks are also good choices for solo queues. Coincidentally, I have a 110 Monk, DK, Pally, and DH. If you're looking for beast damage, then look to DKs and DHs, they will be your top damage classes. Monks have the best mobility and can usually escape most situations (they can't escape Druids/Rogues though), Rets are the overall best balanced, they have strong defenses and strong damage and make for a great solo queue class. DHs also have great damage and mobility and make for an excellent solo class, but they lack self heals so I'd still put them behind Pallies for solo queue.

So for SOLO QUEUE play, I'd rate them: Pally > Monk/DH > DK. I haven't played a Druid yet, but I'm also willing to bet they'd be great for solo queues from what I've seen. Feral Druids are probably the best spec for solo queues since they have great escapes, CC, damage and mobility.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2017-01-11 at 07:55 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

About even. I'd pick the one that has better gear/artifact.

I've recently been running AV for the paladin book, and discovered that a low geared pallie can't ride to RH without being shot apart, while my geared DK can survive the arrows.