Page 1 of 35
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Elemental Lord Shon237's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    AWOKE!
    Posts
    8,602
    If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy," argues David Frum.

    We elected Tony Soprano president of the United States and gave him the power to pardon his capos. Matthew Miller, Legal Analyst.

  2. #2
    Still amazed anyone bought that one.

  3. #3
    Elemental Lord Shon237's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    AWOKE!
    Posts
    8,602
    This will be something to watch. The conservatives who hate to spend any money (except military) and any Democrat who will oppose these appropriations on principal.
    If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy," argues David Frum.

    We elected Tony Soprano president of the United States and gave him the power to pardon his capos. Matthew Miller, Legal Analyst.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    This will be something to watch. The conservatives who hate to spend any money (except military) and any Democrat who will oppose these appropriations on principal.
    They love to spend money when it furthers their agenda. Plenty of examples.

  5. #5
    Cool. Now I can email my representative and demand we not engage in big government wasteful spending.

  6. #6
    Elemental Lord Shon237's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    AWOKE!
    Posts
    8,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Cool. Now I can email my representative and demand we not engage in big government wasteful spending.
    Remember Donald loves building shit. Funny thing is he is very New York City centric (remember conservatives hate NY). He wants to rebuild Kennedy Int. airport, Grand Central, etc. Those GOP's will not give him a red cent and I cannot wait until he has his tantrums.
    If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy," argues David Frum.

    We elected Tony Soprano president of the United States and gave him the power to pardon his capos. Matthew Miller, Legal Analyst.

  7. #7


    We already have a border fence, though it's only where border towns are for the most part.
    .

    "This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

    -- Capt. Copeland

  8. #8
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    17,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    [IMG]http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110129-border1-jb.photoblog900.jp

    We already have a border fence, though it's only where border towns are for the most part.
    Let's be fair, that's a puny fence.

    Anything smaller than the Walls of Constantinople is clearly unacceptable.

  9. #9
    I fully expected him to walk back most of his more bombastic campaign trail claims. That's kinda how these things work. I can think of many things Obama promised that never came to fruition, and I don't really fault him for that. Nor will I fault Trump. In fact, I'd be shocked if Trump actually tried to push through half of his more outrageous promises.

    The important thing for me right now, and my biggest wish, is that the gravity of the office weighs on Mr. Trump and he kinda cuts the crap a little bit and starts being more measured in the actions he takes.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    I fully expected him to walk back most of his more bombastic campaign trail claims. That's kinda how these things work. I can think of many things Obama promised that never came to fruition, and I don't really fault him for that. Nor will I fault Trump. In fact, I'd be shocked if Trump actually tried to push through half of his more outrageous promises.
    Presidents historically keep most of their promises, and its exceptionally rare for them to renege on core campaign planks like this.

    The important thing for me right now, and my biggest wish, is that the gravity of the office weighs on Mr. Trump and he kinda cuts the crap a little bit and starts being more measured in the actions he takes.
    No one changes their personality at 70, let alone narcissists.

  11. #11
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    17,701
    Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    The important thing for me right now, and my biggest wish, is that the gravity of the office weighs on Mr. Trump and he kinda cuts the crap a little bit and starts being more measured in the actions he takes.
    Wishful thinking at best, delusions at worst. People were claiming that once he'd be President-Elect, he'd become more Presidential and serious.

    As it stands, he is still taking to Twitter to moan about SNL being big meany booboos towards him, like a goddamn kindergartner.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No one changes their personality at 70, let alone narcissists.
    I am always amazed by the number of people who say that Trump will change and rise up to the presidency, once you reach a certain age it's near impossible to change. Trump will be the same way, there is no great change coming he will continue to be Trump regardless of what happens.

  13. #13
    I still laugh when on the 60 minute interview Taken from http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1380MX


    "Asked in an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" whether he would accept a fence instead of a wall, Trump said "for certain areas I would," according to excerpts.

    "But certain areas, a wall is more appropriate. I'm very good at this, it's called construction, there could be some fencing," Trump said."


    Never mind no one has asked him how is is going to deal with the 75 mile stretch of boarder that is Native American land.

  14. #14
    What ever happened to his plan to blackmail Mexico into paying by threatening to stop all the money people were sending back to their families over there?

  15. #15
    Instead of saving lives by letting people keep their health insurance with Obamacare, lets use OUR tax money on a fucking wall. Why cant Republicans be the party of fiscal responsibility instead of being comically and seriously evil?

    My family is going to lose our health insurance over this bullshit.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Presidents historically keep most of their promises, and its exceptionally rare for them to renege on core campaign planks like this.
    I suppose Trump still has a ways to go before the "most" qualifier is applicable to the amount of his promises that weren't kept. But this one, it would be ridiculous to expect him to keep it. Which makes it all the more questionable that he would even make it.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    I fully expected him to walk back most of his more bombastic campaign trail claims. That's kinda how these things work. I can think of many things Obama promised that never came to fruition, and I don't really fault him for that. Nor will I fault Trump. In fact, I'd be shocked if Trump actually tried to push through half of his more outrageous promises.

    The important thing for me right now, and my biggest wish, is that the gravity of the office weighs on Mr. Trump and he kinda cuts the crap a little bit and starts being more measured in the actions he takes.
    Could you say there was a difference in the rhetoric though? I agree with you that all politicians promise the world then don't deliver. But Obama wasn't screaming racist nationalism slogans from the hilltops. He wasn't using minorities as a prop to incite hate and anger among the closeted bigots. Trump was.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    I suppose Trump still has a ways to go before the "most" qualifier is applicable to the amount of his promises that weren't kept. But this one, it would be ridiculous to expect him to keep it. Which makes it all the more questionable that he would even make it.
    Of course it would be ridiculous to expect it to happen. That's a black mark in Trump's column. He campaigned extensively on a promise he knew he couldn't keep.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by belleflop View Post
    Could you say there was a difference in the rhetoric though? I agree with you that all politicians promise the world then don't deliver. But Obama wasn't screaming racist nationalism slogans from the hilltops. He wasn't using minorities as a prop to incite hate and anger among the closeted bigots. Trump was.
    Well I'm not really making an argument for or against Trump's bombast, I'm simply analyzing the fact that campaign promises have never been set in stone, with any president. On that basis, and that basis alone, I can't fault Trump (yet) any more than I can fault previous presidents who went back on their promises.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Of course it would be ridiculous to expect it to happen. That's a black mark in Trump's column. He campaigned extensively on a promise he knew he couldn't keep.
    Absolutely.

    But if we look at an Obama comparison, and although this wasn't on the presidential campaign trail but rather the Obamacare campaign trail, he said, "If you like your plan, you can keep it." I will never be convinced that Obama was so uninformed about his own healthcare reform that he didn't know this was an outright falsehood. He promised something he knew he couldn't deliver.

    Again, I sort of expect this kind of thing from politicians when they really want to get things done/get elected/whatever else. Not that I like it, don't get me wrong.
    Last edited by mage21; 2017-01-06 at 03:59 AM.

  20. #20
    Mmmm, can't wait for my taxes to go up for this horseshit


    /s
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •