Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    in TBC, Crafting was useful, non-mandatory, but very useful (particularly to fill certain slots). The items were powerful, lasted a long time, but were time consuming to make and the really, really powerful ones were BoP.
    Up front, I did not raid in TBC, but EVERY story of TBC profession has been very different from this. It was very much mandatory BECAUSE of the BoP gear. I couldn't count the number of TBC raiders I heard complain about how they were forced to work on a profession because of a BiS slot that was filled by a profession. BoP crafting is just wrong IMO for this exact reason. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that crafting in TBC wasn't manditory for raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post

Legion I think did one big thing wrong.
    How ranks were implemented.
    Currently a player with a lower rank can't compete with one with higher, because there is no good reason from the view of a buyer to go with a lower rank.
    I think that ranks should have been a superior result for more materials,
    So that someone with a lower rank doesn't just have an outright inferior version, but just a lesser variety.
    I think you're spot on here. I came back to the game about 3 months ago, having left in early/mid MoP, and have given up on being competitive in most professions this expac, and am instead focusing on other methods of making gold. I simply can't max out many of the Rank 3 recipes, not even counting the rep grinds, which are simply time consuming. Alchemy: I would have to spend 1.5X the price of my competitors, meaning if I don't have the capital to begin with to buy all the mats and hope for a quick proc of rank 3, then I have to craft at a huge loss, and earn the gold to keep trying from other means.

There being such a huge difference between rank 1 & 3 in terms of cost/profit makes it really hard to catch up later in the expansion.

As a result, I'm riding it out by flipping mats and focusing on one or two professions, where I used to have all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    Up front, I did not raid in TBC, but EVERY story of TBC profession has been very different from this. It was very much mandatory BECAUSE of the BoP gear. I couldn't count the number of TBC raiders I heard complain about how they were forced to work on a profession because of a BiS slot that was filled by a profession. BoP crafting is just wrong IMO for this exact reason. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that crafting in TBC wasn't manditory for raiding.
    And even beyond "mandatory" extending into Wrath, there were Right professions, and Wrong professions.

Even if you weren't forced to choose a specific two professions (which in many cases you likely were), you were still forced to NOT choose certain "useless" professions, regardless of how fun or profitable you found them.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    And even beyond "mandatory" extending into Wrath, there were Right professions, and Wrong professions.

Even if you weren't forced to choose a specific two professions (which in many cases you likely were), you were still forced to NOT choose certain "useless" professions, regardless of how fun or profitable you found them.
    For sure. A Tank Needed to be either Blacksmith/JC/Miner, those were the only real options during Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post

Yep, I remember those dark days. It was when I was first getting into raiding and I was denied joining many guilds because I had the wrong profs. I put a lot of work into those profs I didn't want to change and loose all that work!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love if they could actually make 3 primary professions available per character one of those should be a gathering profession mandatory.
    This will fix the need of slave alts since you could mostly farm mats on your own main.
    Retired

I kind of question why they don't simply remove professions at this point...

We keep getting more and more watered down versions of them it seems weird to even bother updating them to be honest.

I would love if they introduce something like Profession Tab. Imagine this:

- you can learn all recipes account wide (if some recipe drop from boss, you can learn it for whole account)

- all secondary professions are account-wide (of course)

- for every toon you can pick two active professions - if you want change one profession, it would cost you, let's say 2000 gold (we have similar system now in Legion, you don't have to repeat questline if you are going back to old profession).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    The BC system was nearly perfect. there never was a reason to throw it away.
    yep, exactly , some people moan about everything so blizz listens to wrong people............

Guild wars 2 had it right - you could use your crafted items. I have one crafting profession at max currently. The new system is a joke
    And shepherds we shall be...