Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Toto, I have a feeling

You may recall the Wizard of Oz and "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." We're not and you probably know it, but maybe it slips your mind in small ways. To step outside of the political stuff, let me toss out a couple of examples.

We all know what goes on French fries, right? You remember this one: "You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup?"

The disconnect may seem yet more jarring across even more different cultures. Why are these women dancing?

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/06/as...ral/index.html

And if you thought Thanksgiving or Christmas got hectic:

To put that last one in context:

In the seven days of the Lunar New Year, Chinese are expected to spend more than $100 billion on eating and shopping (almost twice as much as Americans spend on Thanksgiving) and buy railway tickets online at a rate of more than 1,000 per second.

But it's when millions of Chinese people go home for the Chinese New Year Spring Festival during "chunyun" -- the annual spring migration -- that China's flair for organization on a gargantuan scale really comes into its own.
    In 2017 -- the Year of the Rooster -- Chinese authorities expect holidaymakers to make 2.5 billion trips by land, 356 million by rail, 58 million by plane and 43 million by sea over the 40-day period, which starts on January 13 and lasts until February 21.
    So, let's skip race, religion and politics, but what are some other examples -- and what do you think when you encounter those "not in Kansas" moments?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not in Kansas anymore?

That will always remind me off the epic movie, Avatar.

There's people who put ranch dressing on fries. Not me, my momma raised me right.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    In the UK they put vinegar on the fries. Fucking disgusting....
    Fries and vinegar is delicious.

But NOT QUITE AS DELICIOUS as fries and Mayo. Which is the besterest.

What's wrong with vinegar on chips?! They're fecking gorgeous on thick-cut chips.

Try this as a dip for chips:

Mix Ketchup, Peri-peri, sweet chilli and mayo... lovely.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-01-13 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to. I used to go by a fish and chips joint here and it would be optional. They went out of service though....guess Canadians don't care for fish and chips.

I like peanut butter on a plain hamburger with a bun >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Chips are best with currey suace, everyone knows this
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    Chips are best with currey suace, everyone knows this
    That complete muck sold at Chinese take aways?

Urgh...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    That complete muck sold at Chinese take aways?

Urgh...
    don't think ive ever ordered curry sauce from a chinese :P
    dragonmaw - EU

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    What's wrong with vinegar on chips?! They're fecking gorgeous on thick-cut chips.

Try this as a dip for chips:

Mix Ketchup, Peri-peri, sweet chilli and mayo... lovely.
    Vinegar has to be the most putrid liquid in existence that people would willingly consume. It smells horrible and tastes awful.

I prefer ketchup with some seasoning on top so when I dip my fries they get seasoned nicely. And I prefer shoestring fries. YUM!

Anyway, a lot of people in Utah like fry sauce (ketchup + mayo, basically)
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    don't think ive ever ordered curry sauce from a chinese :P
    Thai curry sauce is yummy, but not on fries. Anything curry on fries is pretty gross to be honest. Around Canadian thanksgiving this past year, I went out for dinner with my mom and brother for my brothers birthday and had turkey poutine. Gravy (chicken style gravy, not beef), cheese curds and dark meat turkey was god damn amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Thai curry sauce is yummy, but not on fries. Anything curry on fries is pretty gross to be honest. Around Canadian thanksgiving this past year, I went out for dinner with my mom and brother for my brothers birthday and had turkey poutine. Gravy (chicken style gravy, not beef), cheese curds and dark meat turkey was god damn amazing.
    gravy and chips is good too! anything saucy is good imo.
    dragonmaw - EU

I've never observed something and thought it was beyond my comprehension so that it must be regional. I guess I have an open mind about the kinds of things humans do; or at least, I think the quirk is with the individual(s) and not to a particular sect of people that are unrelatable to me.

i mix mustard & mayonnaise for my fries, and put ranch dressing on pizza.
    a1 sauce is the devil tho.
    Last edited by starlord; 2017-01-14 at 12:00 AM.

To be fair lots of things are great on fries, i prefer chili and cheese on them.

For me was in florida when no one knew ehat Goetta is, and they called pop, a soda.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    i mix mustard & mayonnaise for my fries, and put ranch dressing on pizza.
    a1 sauce is the devil tho.
    First time someone told me to try ranch on pizza i thought they were joking. But it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I've never observed something and thought it was beyond my comprehension so that it must be regional. I guess I have an open mind about the kinds of things humans do; or at least, I think the quirk is with the individual(s) and not to a particular sect of people that are unrelatable to me.
    *reads*.... *reads again*... nope too deep for a Friday evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    aH yes, the Y chromosome, noted summoner of rape demons from the misogyny dimension.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love ice-cream and bananas with a heavy dollop of ketchup.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk
    or at least, I think the quirk is with the individual(s) and not to a particular sect of people that are unrelatable to me.
    Notice that I didn't say unrelatable, but I also suspect that you are trying too hard for PC. Take the funeral strippers for example, that isn't just an individual quirk or one time thing.

If you don't see differences you can't understand them, and if you operate in an international environment assuming that folks is just folks you're not going to communicate as effectively as you might otherwise.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.