Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why do people still deny the fact that dinosaurs had feathers?

It's pretty frustrating that people deny the fact that therapod dinosaurs had feathers.

I mean we've found imprints in raptor bones that indicate they had feather-like structures protruding from their "arms". We've found fossil imprints of smaller species of raptors that were feathered.

We've even discovered a perfectly preserved dinosaur tail encased in amber that had feathers!

15+ Year Old Account
    People deny this?

I majored in paleontology when I first went through Uni, and we were JUST discovering that they might have had feathers as I was graduating. As I kept up with it, the evidence became even more and more overwhelming.

I don't see why anyone would have a reason to deny it, beyond some kind of silly pride. This isn't like climate change where oil companies that back conservative candidates run massive disinformation campaigns because they have huge financial liability in the acceptance of climate change being "real" in the minds of people. This is just... dinosaurs having feathers.

No seriously, who denies this stuff?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    There are people who believe dinosaurs never existed so at this point nothing surprises me with the amount of stupid on this planet.

They didn't have them in Jurassic Park, and that's people's best impression of what dinosaurs looked like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's get people to agree that the eart is more than 6000 years old and that dinausores existed before moving on to feathers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post

It's pretty frustrating that people deny the fact that therapod dinosaurs had feathers.

I mean we've found imprints in raptor bones that indicate they had feather-like structures protruding from their "arms". We've found fossil imprints of smaller species of raptors that were feathered.

We've even discovered a perfectly preserved dinosaur tail encased in amber that had feathers!
    It will take a while for the news to get around. Dinosaur discoveries are pretty low on the ladder of what people care about and actually go out of their way to research
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps people don't follow matters relating to dinosaurs and just assume that the traditional image of them is accurate. I hardly think it is a cause for concern, as if feather-denial makes any difference whatsoever.

This is propping up the 'Why would anyone give a shit?' table of things to be bothered about.

The feathers do kill the fantasy element of it. It's pretty tough to accept that the T-Rex wasn't the badass monster we knew from the movies growing up, but looked more like a giant chicken. I could sort of understand if somebody decided that just ignoring the newest science wasn't really going to affect their lives on any practical level, and just stuck with the outdated information because it made for a cooler mental image.

Deleted
    Who exactly is it that is denying it? Because I haven't heard it before, and certainly doesn't seem to be the biggest topic of denial in circulation.

No feathers on this

http://i.imgur.com/Rf553hN.mp4
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-01-17 at 03:19 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Well some people still think that dinosaurs never existed so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    No feathers on this

http://i.imgur.com/Rf553hN.mp4
    What does Chris Christie have to do with this thread?

Why do people still think that the dominance hypothesis in dogs and wolves is fact?
    Why do people still believe that sharks are evil murder machines?
    Why do people still believe that cats can't be loyal?
    Why do people still believe that animals are only made up of instincts and nothing else?
    Why do people still believe that the planet is 6000 years old and a virgin gave birth, a man came back from the dead and a sea was parted...?

Answer; Because people in general are ignorant. Simple as that. Out of all the topics where people stay ignorant, "Dinosaurs had feathers!" seems to belong at the very bottom of the list over things that cause problems...

Well none of us have seen one in person. As a result of this people are going off of the information that is provided to them. Normally however they look the first time you see a representation of them is what gets locked into your mind. We also have far too many people that don't think they are real at all.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    These people mean nothing. I know trillions of people who say some dinosaurs definitely had feathers.

It's all in my head!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it doesn't make sense. How would people attach a harness to feathers? Think people...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Answer; Because people in general are ignorant. Simple as that. Out of all the topics where people stay ignorant, "Dinosaurs had feathers!" seems to belong at the very bottom of the list over things that cause problems...
    But what if it actual is the root of all evil and problems? That the Dinosaurs actually ascended in a fiery flash as the comet of prophesy fell upon their frail flesh (and feathers) and they left this retched planet and became divine beings of ultimate power of the omniverse, and all our evils in the world is their punishment for not properly portraying their divine appearance?

I think I just invented a religion!

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because of Jurassic park.

Serious though, isn't the whole feathers thing a recent discovery? Maybe not enough time has passed to spread the word properly.

Dinosaurs still have feathers.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    But what if it actual is the root of all evil and problems? That the Dinosaurs actually ascended in a fiery flash as the comet of prophesy fell upon their frail flesh (and feathers) and they left this retched planet and became divine beings of ultimate power of the omniverse, and all our evils in the world is their punishment for not properly portraying their divine appearance?

I think I just invented a religion!
    Saurianism?