Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post

No one denies them.
    I'm not sure the derpasaurs are the best argument.

Those guys aint got nothing on the swift Razzashi raptor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post

But look how fluffy and cute it is.
    Well, cute and fluffy aside, they're going to need to turn up some actual paleontological evidence to support that full-grown T. Rexes had feathers, because none specific to that species currently exists.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-01-17 at 11:36 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Y'all people are wrong when you say feathered dinosaurs would look stupid. feathers>scales in coolness factor, that's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well here's the thing. Dinosaurs look cooler without feathers. Giant turkeys aren't intimidating.

In video games and movies, it's also harder to model and animate feathers than it is to simply not have feathers.

As for Tyrannosaurus having feathers, it's purely a case of extrapolation. Earlier ancestors of Tyrannosaurus had feathers, therefore, people think Tyrannosaurus had feathers.

...Despite the fact that no Tyrannosaurus fossil, of which many have been found in all stages of its life cycle, support it having had feathers, nor do any of the skin impressions of Tyrannosaurus found have any feather impressions. It's entirely likely that an animal as large as Tyrannosaurus simply would have lost all need for feathers as an adult.

Large mammals like elephants and rhinoceros often lack any substantial covering of hair, and hair would likely play the same role on them as on any large, carnivorous dinosaur (as herbivorous dinosaurs didn't have feathers): insulation. A 20 foot tall, 40 foot long 7 ton dinosaur would likely have had little need for insulation in its warm cretaceous environment.

So I still don't sign off on those big fluffy T. Rex renderings. It's the paleontological equivalent of trying to get a rise out of people through shock value.
    Pretty much this. Despite there being substantial evidence for some dinosaurs having feathers, there's also evidence for a lot of dinosaurs not having feathers. An animal the size of a T-Rex would have no need for them at all and, apart from possibly when young, likely would have just had a few feathery quills if that.

All we can say for definite is that some dinosaurs did have feathers and some didn't.

+FYI, Even ignoring the feathers, the JP movies took MASSIVE liberties with all of the dinosaurs and their behaviours. Claiming that the lack of feathers makes the velociraptor inaccurate is like like claiming that the loin cloths are what made 300 historically inaccurate.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    It's a little more delicate than that. People have no problems changing their mind in light of scientific evidence if it's something not particularly important to them, i.e. if it isn't integral to their worldview or something with emotional attachment.
    I thought that part was obvious.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    Y'all people are wrong when you say feathered dinosaurs would look stupid. feathers>scales in coolness factor, that's a fact.
    I beg to differ:

clawed death machine:

Awkward turkey:
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    why do people still deny that there is a good.

explain bacon

10+ Year Old Account
    I think calling it a fact is a bit far-fetched. While this is, indeed, a dominating theory currently, with a lot of evidence, there is still a decent chance that, at least, some dinosaur species had little or no feathers. Given that most people know little about dinosaurs beyond a few cartoons and fiction movies, it really isn't that surprising that a lot of people have a very skewed view on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I beg to differ:

clawed death machine: plucked turkey:

Awkward turkey: badass killer:
    fixed that for you

10+ Year Old Account
    fixed that for you
    Yeah, no.

Feathers don't look fearsome.

The top one looks like it'll fuck you up with a smile on its face. The second one just looks like it wants you to throw some sunflower seeds to it in the park.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yes dinosaurs had feathers.

Look at chickens feet!

If Dinosaurs had feathers then I will no longer consider them cool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    There's evidence that all therapods (all the two-legged, carnivorous dinos; tyrannosaurus, raptors, carnotaurus, you name it) had feathers.

There's also a possibility that triceratops and relatives had quills.
    There's no definite evidence ALL therapods had feathers just speculation based on a few therapod species. Besides nothing is ever certain with dinosaurs because new evidence arrises every decade

- - - Updated - - -

fixed that for you
    You just killed your own argument